Author Topic: Leslie Nielsen...RIP  (Read 2297 times)

Fasteddie33

Leslie Nielsen...RIP
« on: December 01, 2010, 02:59:41 AM »
I was really sad when I heard the news of his death,so I think Im going to make it a Naked Gun weekend,in honor of the great Leslie Nielsen...Im sure I will also have to watch Airplane!!
Any other suggestions for a good movie of his??

Dr. Hasslein

Re: Leslie Nielsen...RIP
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 04:05:21 AM »
I watched Airplane! yesterday, good fun. Have you seen Forbidden Planet? That's a good one.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 04:48:42 AM »
I watched Forbidden Planet for the first time about a month ago.  I really liked it, though it was a different sort of role for Nielsen than I'm use to seeing him in since it was more serious.

I watched Airplane not long ago too.

Rogmeister

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 06:03:36 AM »
I used to go to movies occasionally with friends back in the 70s and 80s (maybe even into the 90s).  I remember one time my two friends decided they wanted to go to see Dracula: Dead and Loving It, an obvious comedy with Leslie Nielsen.  I knew it was going to suck.  We went to a multiplex up in Robinson Township, PA (about a half-hour drive from our homes in West Virginia).  When we got there, they went to see it and I went to another theater in the same building (maybe Nell, maybe Aladdin...I'm not sure now).  They complained how bad the movie they saw was all the way home...

And I'm serious about that.  And don't call me Shirley...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 06:59:03 AM »
I like Dracula Dead and Loving It...yes it has some issues, but it is funny and entertaining.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
I like Dracula Dead and Loving It...yes it has some issues, but it is funny and entertaining.
Same, but it's not for everyone. I wouldn't call it a "good" movie given the number of people I recall not enjoying.

I also recommend Creepshow.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 07:45:31 AM »
I know it isn't for everyone.  I just don't think it is as bad as some people have claimed.

Oh yes..his part in Creepshow was really good. I've never seen him play a part even close to that in anything else.

snowcat

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 09:17:41 AM »
Hmm! if you like spoofs there is

Scary movie 3 and 4, Superhero Movie, Stan Helsing, Spy Hard...

oh and ;) The Poseidon Adventure  as serious as hes meant to be... you can't help but laugh.

I love Leslie Nielson :( im so gutted hes dead!

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 11:15:33 AM »
It is sad, especially because he was always a very capable comedian and he was wasted in all the shit he did in more recent years. He could have been a very good serious actor too, but he's got a wonderful reputation from comedy. If you think about it, it's just Police Squad, Airplane! and the Naked Gun movies, but absolutely everyone knows him. I think most actors would kill for that response.

"Don't call me Shirley" may turn out to be the most famous quote of all!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 11:22:27 AM »
I forgot he was in The Poseidon Adventure.  I need to watch that one again sometime.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 09:30:49 PM »
If you want a good laugh, when you are going to watch Airplane!, try and watch Zero Hour! before. It's amazing how Airplane! is almost a word for word copy of the screenplay, but done seriously.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 10:25:02 PM »
Here is the movies I have with Leslie Neilsen...

- Creepshow
- Dracula: Dead and Loving It
- The Reluctant Astronaut (haven't watched yet)
- Prom Night
- Scary Movie 3.5
- Scary Movie 4
- Superhero Movie

And then I also have him in the TV series Police Squad... as well as single episodes of a small handful of series.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 12:45:31 AM »
If you want a good laugh, when you are going to watch Airplane!, try and watch Zero Hour! before. It's amazing how Airplane! is almost a word for word copy of the screenplay, but done seriously.

After I watched Airplane! recently I looked up some stuff when I was working on a review.  The writers of Airplane! bought the rights to the script of Zero Hour and that the movie is basically a remake of it...just done as a spoof.