Author Topic: Addicted2DVD's 25 Days of Christmas Marathon: 2010  (Read 39326 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted2DVD's 25 Days of Christmas Marathon: 2010
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2010, 04:35:06 PM »
Date with the Angels
This series revolves around newly married Vicki Angel (Betty White) and her insurance salesman husband Gus Angel (Bill Williams) who get themselves and their friends and neighbors into various comedic situations. The series ran for 33 episodes from 1957-1958.

Episode Watched:
Santa's Helper
Vickie tries to find a suitable outlet for Mr. Finley, Sr.'s energy, so she enlists the help of her friend Dolly to get him a job in the local department store as one of Santa's helpers. Her plan backfires when Mr. Finley - as Santa - starts to give out free toys to all the children who meet with him, with the skinflint toy department manager on the hook for the unwitting expenditure.

My Thoughts:
This is a series I never even heard of before. It is a show I found in the  Holiday Family Collection set that I recently got. As soon as I read that it was a series that starred Betty White I wanted to check it out. The first thing I would say is... wow... Betty White was quite the looker in her day. The friend Dolly is played by Nancy Kulp of Beverly Hillbillies fame. Another familiar face is Richard Deacon (The Dick Van Dyke Show)... as well as a name you may not recognize... but you would the face. Burt Mustin... who is an old time character actor. The show itself... while entertaining... didn't impress me too much going by this single episode. Nothing more then an average sitcom.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2010, 05:19:49 PM »
The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show
Neighbor Blanche Morton frequently joins Gracie in escapades which annoy accountant hubby Harry and provide George with an opportunity to offer a humorous soliloquy.

Episode Watched:
Gracie's Relatives
A holiday episode in which Gracie's relatives come to visit, much to George's dismay. Watch for Gracie's hilarious version of "A Christmas Carol".

My Thoughts:
This is a classic sitcom I always enjoyed. I only ever seen a small handful of episodes. And unfortunately they have always been on cheap DVDs where the quality had much to be desired. But I guess that is to be expected with such an old show. While George Burns is always a funny man... Gracie can come out with some stuff you can't help but to laugh out loud at.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2010, 06:28:15 PM »

Title: The Santa Clause 2
Year: 2002
Director: Michael Lembeck
Rating: G
Length: 104 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Tim Allen
Elizabeth Mitchell
David Krumholtz
Eric Lloyd
Judge Reinhold
Wendy Crewson

Plot:
Walt Disney Pictures presents an all-new comedy adventure overflowing with holiday cheer. Tim Allen reappears in 'Santa Clause 2' , the hilarious sequel to everybody's holiday favorite. Scott Calvin (Allen) has been Santa for the past 8 years, and his loyal elves consider him the best one ever. But Scott's got problems. His son Charlie landed on this year's "naughty" list, and if Scott doesn't marry before Christmas Eve - one very, very short month away - he'll stop being Santa forever. Embracing Chrsitmas and the magic of family with heart, warmth, fun and charm, 'Santa Clause 2' is classic holiday entertainment everybody will enjoy again and again.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interactive Games
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
THX

My Thoughts:
This is a pretty good sequel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. But this one was not as good as the first one. I think the only real problem I have with it is the whole Toy Santa storyline. That part just didn't feel right to me, personally. Other then that I enjoyed every minute of it... and watch it every year. I did like the whole must find a wife storyline though.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2010, 07:58:28 PM »

Title: The Nightmare Before Christmas: Special Edition
Year: 1993
Director: Henry Selick
Rating: PG
Length: 76 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.66:1
Audio: English: DTS: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Spanish

Stars:
Danny Elfman
Chris Sarandon
Catherine O'Hara
William Hickey
Glenn Shadix
Paul Reubens

Plot:
Enter an extraordinary world filled with magic and wonder. This Special Edition of Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas celebrates the groundbreaking accomplishments of the first full-length stop-motion animated feature with Bonus Materials never before available on DVD!

Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King Of Halloween Town, decides to spread Christmas joy to the world. But his well-meaning mission unwittingly puts Santa Claus in jeopardy and creates a nightmare for all good little boys and girls everywhere! Who will save Christmas?

The visionary genius of Tim Burton (Sleepy Hollow) and the ten original songs by Danny Elfman (Oingo Boingo) make this critically acclaimed movie milestone a uniquely engaging fantasy for the whole family!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Closed Captioned
Tim Burton's shorts "Vincent" and "Frankenweenie"

My Thoughts:
OK... while I liked the storyline on this one quite a bit... there really is way too much music in it for my taste. So much so that it took away quite a bit of the enjoyment from me. But I still liked the story... and liked the way it was animated and such. So I pretty much have mixed feelings on this one. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it wasn't for all the music.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2010, 09:18:15 PM »
 :hysterical:

Even I like some of this one! ;) did you know it was basically a musical? I bet you do now! :whistle:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2010, 09:19:31 PM »
Nope... not until after it was already on the way to me if I remember correctly.
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2010, 12:49:29 AM »
Hey, Pete, are you going to be reviewing The Santa Clause 3?  You likely have in the past so I could go find that if you're not going to do it again.  The 3rd is the only one I've not seen.  I've kind of avoided it because it has someone in it I've never liked...Martin Short, I think.  :-\

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2010, 01:03:13 AM »
I don't have the 3rd one on DVD yet... but I have seen it on Cable a year or so ago. I don't remember if I reviewed it here or not. I do know that I set my DVR to record it this year. But I forget when. So I plan on watching it before Christmas... but depending on record date it may not be right away.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2010, 04:34:58 PM »
The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause
Tim Allen is back in the big red suit for more adventures and laughs in Disney's hilarious family comedy. Get ready for a thrilling sleigh ride as the reluctant Santa Claus faces his most chilling and hysterical challenge yet.

As Christmas nears, Scott Calvin invites his in-laws (Ann-Margret and Alan Arkin) to join the festivities. The holidays take a chaotic turn when Scott discovers a way out of his "Santa Clause" and the mischievous Jack Frost (Martin Short) puts the big freeze on Christmas's big cheese! Unless Scott can save the day, it's going to be a very chilly Frostmas at the North Pole and all around the world. Will Scott be able to get his job back in the St. Nick of time?

Celebrate the holidays with The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause, complete with exclusive bonus materials, including a musical Christmas Carol-oke feature. It's a gift the whole family will treasure.

My Thoughts:
This is another one that I recorded off of cable recently. I don't feel it quite held up to the first 2 parts... but I still enjoyed it a lot. While the storyline with Jack Frost left me a little cold (Sorry... couldn't help myself)... I though Martin Short was a good choice for the role. I also liked the whole family reunion at the North Pole thing. I hope to add this one to my DVD collection before next year.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2010, 07:05:30 PM »
Scrooged
High-spirited high jinks on Christmas Eve put Frank Cross (Bill Murray) in a ghostly time warp in this hilarious take-off of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." Cross, who has made the meteoric rise from the depths of the mailroom to TV network president, is mean, nasty, uncaring, unforgiving and has a sadistic sense of humor - perfect qualities for a modern-day Scrooge.

Before the night is over, he'll be visited by a maniacal New York cab driver from the past, a present-day fairy who's into pratfalls and, finally, a ghoulish, seven-foot headless messenger from the future.

My Thoughts:
This is another one I recorded off of cable... one I haven't seen in several years. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is just a fun spoof off of the Christmas classic. I thought Bill Murray was great in it... as was most all the cast. Definitely one I hope to add to my DVD Collection.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2010, 06:21:17 PM »
Miracle on 34th Street (1994)
In this modern update of the beloved 1947 film classic, six-year-old Susan has doubts about childhood's most enduring miracle - Santa Claus. But after meeting a special department store Santa who's convinced he's the real thing, Susan is given the most precious gift of all - something to believe in. Starring Richard Attenborough, Elizabeth Perkins, Dylan McDermott and Mara Wilson as Susan, this uplifting and joyous film will make believers out of the entire family.

My Thoughts:
I recorded this one off of cable. While enjoyable... this remake just does not compare to the classic. It is missing a lot of the charm that made the original version so good. I also didn't care for the change to the ending of the court case in this one. I won't be in too much of a hurry to adding this one to my DVD Collection.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2010, 11:57:54 AM »
Supernatural: Season 3: A Very Supernatural Christmas
What comes down the chimney? Santa Claus. What goes up the chimney? Screaming, clawing victims of the Anti Claus, a pagan god with an unjolly thirst for blood. Scary Christmas, Sam and Dean. 

My Thoughts:
This is a cool Christmas episode... I enjoyed it very much.  I liked how they had flashbacks to show what Christmas was like for Sam & Dean as kids.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2010, 01:06:34 PM »
Twilight Zone: Season 2: Night of the Meek
Christmas in the Twilight Zone. Art Carney is a forlorn department store Santa who takes to drinking - only to find himself experiencing the nicest Christmas ever!

My Thoughts:
This is a very good episode. I have enjoyed watching this one every year for quite a while now. I think Art Carney did a great job in his role. I don't know for sure... but I believe this is the only Christmas episode of Twilight Zone... which if it is... it's a shame.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2010, 02:05:05 PM »
The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries: Season 2: Will the Real Santa...
The distinction between who's naughty and who's nice becomes blurred as Nancy works to restore the honor of a gentleman who is accused of burglary -- and who claims to be Santa Claus.

My Thoughts:
Now this one is a real trip down memory lane! I used to love this show when I was no more then a little tyke. This is one of the episodes that Pamela Sue Martin played Nancy Drew (Janet Louise Johnson [AKA Janet Julian] took over shortly after). And she happens to be my favorite Nancy Drew to date. This is a good episode. It is strong on the holiday spirit... at the same time has a good mystery. Actually it has 2 mysteries. One being the Christmas Burglar and the other being the two men that are following Griffin throughout the entire episode. After having this set for a few years now... this episode is becoming a regular addition to my Christmas Marathon.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2010, 03:15:03 PM »
Picket Fences: Season 1: Pageantry
The townspeople are livid when they discover that a woman schoolteacher, who is also supposed to play Mary in the upcoming Christmas pageant, is a transexual.

My Thoughts:
OMG... this must be one of the most preachy, self-righteous shows that was ever created... but even so it is still so very addictive at the same time. It is one of those shows I hate myself for enjoying so much! But I blame it on the fact that a young Holly Marie Combs is in it... yeah... that's it... that is my story and I am sticking to it! Even though Holly Marie Comb's part was fairly limited in this episode... she did make a strong appearance. I really liked how in the end it was the children standing up to the adults that did the trick. Yes... there is times when you can learn something from your kids.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete