Author Topic: Spider-Man: The New Animated Series  (Read 4692 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
« on: November 01, 2010, 06:14:51 PM »

Spider-Man: The New Animated Series: Special Edition
The coolest Spider-Man comes to DVD in 3-D animation! Combining state-of-the-art CG imaging with feature animation processing, Spider-Man brings a neon-lit city to life.

Based on the legendary Marvel comic book, the series centers on the adventures of Peter Parker, who develops superhuman powers after being bit by a genetically altered spider. Multi-talented Neil Patrick Harris (Undercover Brother, Starship Troopers), singer-songwriter Lisa Loeb and television star Ian Ziering (TV's "Beverly Hills 90210") bring Peter, MJ, and Harry to life, along with guest voice talent from rocker Rob Zombie, rap star Eve, Gina Gershon, Kathy Griffin, Michael Clarke Duncan, Stan Lee and more.

Major comic book, animation, and television talent came together to bring Spider-Man to life on the small screen. Brian Michael Bendis (Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man comic book series) worked as Co-Executive producer, along with Audu Paden (Roughnecks: Starship Toopers Chronicles). Serving as the series' Executive Producers were Spider-Man co-creator Stan Lee, Margan Gendel, and Marvel executives Avi Arad and Rick Ungar.

EPISODES
1. Heroes and Villains
2. Royal Scam
3. Law of the Jungle
4. Sword of Shikata
5. Keeping Secrets
6. Tight Squeeze
7. Head Over Heels
8. The Party
9. Flash Memory
10. Spider-Man Dis-Sabled
11. When Sparks Fly
12. Mind Games - Part One
13. Mind Games - Part Two

Year: 2003
Director:
Rating: NR
Length: 278 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: Trivia

Stars:
Neil Patrick Harris
Lisa Loeb
Ian Ziering
Angelle Brooks

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
Multi-angle
Outtakes/Bloopers
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a version of Spider-Man I never seen before Brittany showed me a couple episodes on Youtube. At first it took me a little time to get used to the CGI style of the animation. But after a couple episodes I was fine with it. But the way they decided to draw a few of the characters I had mixed feelings about. First of all I hated how they drew Electro! See I grew up seeing him in the '60s cartoon like this...

Alright... don't laugh... I did say it was the '60s after all. Most cartoons looked like that at the time! Now I can understand that they needed to update him... and I am all for it. But to completely change who he is? Instead of an adult thief they made him a college kid that was just in an accident. And made him look like this...

which... don't get me wrong is a cool look... but not for a change on an already established character. At least not in my opinion. On the other hand what they did do right is how they updated The Lizard. Here is The Lizard that I grew up watching...

But for this series they came up with this...

Which I personally think looks fantastic. And I liked how they for the most part kept him half hidden and in darker areas. It added to his look quite a bit. They also had some other appearances like Kingpin and Kraven the Hunter which looked fine but not overly impressive. Then there was several new villains introduced in this series. Some good some not so much... but all enjoyable.

This series started basically where the first movie left off. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Though I must admit that they didn't seem the pull off Spider-Man's wit and sense of humor as well as they did in other series. I mean sure there was a few laughs... but not as much as there should have been.

This series only lasting 1 season (13 episodes) is a bit of a disappointment but I am happy that it did (in a way) tie up the entire series in it's last episode. Although in a very somber way. I imagine it was to be a murky way of ending the season... in hopes to continue the story... but instead was canceled.

But over-all... even with a few downfalls I enjoyed watching these episodes.  Not often you can watch an entire series in about a day to a day and a half.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

addicted2comics(:P)

Re: Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 01:07:11 AM »
You know about half of those pics aren't showing up.

I completely agree with the Electro make-over. Cool and all, its just not him. At the very least they made fun of him in Shattered Dimensions

"Dude, pants! No one wants to see your junk!" :laugh: