Author Topic: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2010  (Read 155104 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2010
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2010, 12:57:09 PM »
No... don't think I ever seen that one.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2010, 02:23:01 PM »
Title: Dracula's Daughter: The Legacy Collection
Year: 1936
Director: Lambert Hillyer
Rating: NR
Length: 74 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Otto Kruger
Gloria Holden
Marguerite Churchill
Edward Van Sloan
Gilbert Emery

Plot:
Picking up where Dracula left off, Dr. Von Helsing (Edward Van Sloan), thinking he has rid London of all vampires, is instead arrested for murder. Meanwhile, the beautiful and mysterious Countess Marya Zaleska (Gloria Holden) appears in London seeking the understanding Dr. Garth (Otto Kruger), Von Helsing's psychiatrist. A mysterious sequence of events leads Von Helsing and Garth to set off to Transylvania after the elusive countess and to rescue Garth's beautiful fiancée (Marguerite Churchill) in this classic thriller.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed this one quite a bit.The quality... both audio and video... was very good. I have no complaints on this movie what so ever.  This movie is the oldest I ever seen where it was about a female vampire. I really enjoyed Gloria Holden as Dracula's Daughter... but I have to admit I really liked this girl that was only in a small part of the movie as one of her victims... a girl named Nan Grey... she was a very attractive girl... with a sweetness about her that she actually left an impression with such a small part. Unfortunately this is the only movie I have with her in my collection.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 9
TV Ep. Count: 3
Other Count: 0
Time Started: 7:00am
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2010, 04:38:35 PM »
Dracula: The Series: Volume 1
For centuries he has ruled the night, inspiring dozens of plays, scores of movies and millions of nightmares. His enduring legend is known and feared everywhere. Now, Dracula seeks global domination as Alexander Lucard, international billionaire power broker, who is relentlessly building a hi-tech network of white-collar vampires. Two young American brothers know his secret (and his weaknesses!) as they join their uncle – a lifelong vampire chaser – to follow the trail across Europe and the U.S. in a desperate race to expose Lucard and his undead army of corporate vampires. The hunters become the prey as Lucard seeks to eliminate their threat to his eternal conquest.

Double Cross
Gustav's old friends, Peter and Anna Dyson, visit for a short time while Max takes the Cross of the Magyars (an artifact which prevents vampires from entering) from the house to be blessed. When Lucard finds out the cross has been removed, it is a race to see whether the cross can be replaced before Lucard pays the household a visit; but how did he find out that it was gone...?

My Thoughts:
Another enjoyable episode. I liked the storyline in this one. Despite this being a family series... with younger kids in mind.. I forgot how much I enjoyed this show. Though I must admit Brittany is right... the theme for this show has to go!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 9
TV Ep. Count: 4
Time Started: 10:15am
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2010, 06:59:43 PM »
Title: Son of Dracula: The Legacy Collection
Year: 1943
Director: Robert Siodmak
Length: 80 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Robert Paige
Louise Allbritton
Evelyn Ankers
Frank Craven
J. Edward Bromberg

Plot:
Lon Chaney Jr. dons a cape as Count Alucard (that’s Dracula spelled backward), the bloodthirsty son of the famous Transylvania vampire. And when a beautiful Southern girl, Katherine (Louise Allbritton), invites him to the U.S., they both set out to satisfy their unquenchable thirst for human blood with nocturnal killings of unsuspecting neighbors and relatives. Despite the heroic efforts of her fiancé, Robert Paige, Katherine falls under the spell of the evil Count in Son of Dracula, director Robert Siodmak’s excursion into the horror genre.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I actually enjoyed this one more this time around then I did the first time I watched it. I was actually not looking forward to watching this one again going off my first viewing. Now I am glad I gave it another chance. Though I do have to say I prefer Lon Chaney, Jr. as the Wolf Man... I didn't care for him in this role nearly as much. I enjoyed the story... and the quality of this one is surprisingly good for such an old movie. I also noticed the effects are starting to get better with this release. Seeing Dracula appear from a puff of smoke... and transforming too and from his bat form.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 10
TV Ep. Count: 4
Time Started: 11:30am
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2010, 07:59:50 PM »
For centuries he has ruled the night, inspiring dozens of plays, scores of movies and millions of nightmares. His enduring legend is known and feared everywhere. Now, Dracula seeks global domination as Alexander Lucard, international billionaire power broker, who is relentlessly building a hi-tech network of white-collar vampires. Two young American brothers know his secret (and his weaknesses!) as they join their uncle – a lifelong vampire chaser – to follow the trail across Europe and the U.S. in a desperate race to expose Lucard and his undead army of corporate vampires. The hunters become the prey as Lucard seeks to eliminate their threat to his eternal conquest.

Get a Job
Chris lands a job with a local art house, run by a lovely art dealer named Julia, who also happens to have dealings with Alexander Lucard.

My Thoughts:
While still having it's moments... I didn't care as much for this episode as I did the previous two. I really didn't care too much for the storyline this time around. Though it did give a pretty good change with the outcome since it showed that the good guys don't always win. That is something that is a bit surprising with a series that has a majority of kids as viewers.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 10
TV Ep. Count: 5
Time Started: 1:30pm
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2010, 09:36:48 PM »
Title: House of Dracula: The Legacy Collection
Year: 1945
Director: Erle C. Kenton
Length: 67 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Lon Chaney, Jr.
John Carradine
Martha O'Driscoll
Lionel Atwill
Onslow Stevens

Plot:
House of Dracula is one of the greatest feasts for monster-lovers ever created! They're all here – The Wolf Man, Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, angry villagers, even a hunchback assistant! Ad they all have momentous plans for their own in this entertaining frightmare treat.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Even though not a bad sequel... there is nothing really special about it... other then I did of course enjoy the fact that all 3 of my favorite classic movie monsters is in this movie. One thing I did see in this one that struck me as unusual (at least from any other classics I have seen so far)... is that in this movie the Hunchback is a woman instead of a man. I personally don't remember ever seeing that in any of the other movies before this one. Quality wise.. this movie looks/sounds great... just like the rest of the set.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 11
TV Ep. Count: 5
Time Started: 2:30pm
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2010, 12:02:59 AM »

The Boffin
While Sophie and Chris skirt around the relationship issue between them and finally end up on a date together, Max meets a clumsy, but brilliant, scientist who has made it his life's work to invent items for battling the undead.

My Thoughts:
This one is a very silly... but fun episode. The silliness comes from the bumbling scientist.  I wish they would have done the ray gun better. It looked cool enough... but I didn't like the effects of how it looked when you shoot it. But over-all an entertaining episode... though I definitely seen better.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 11
TV Ep. Count: 6
Time Started: 5:30pm
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2010, 12:56:04 AM »
October 4th Theme

Movie Theme:
Anthology Horror
Anthology Horror is horror movies with 2 to 4 (usually) short stories within the movie. There is usually a wraparound story as well. Like people telling stories around the campfire or what have you.Anthology horrors has always been one of my favorite types of horror movies. Unfortunately I do not have as many of these as I would have liked.

My anthologies:
The titles in Bold I never seen
- Campfire Tales
- Cat's Eye
- Creepshow
- Creepshow 2
- Creepy Clips:Girl's Night Out
- Cremains
- Dead Teenagers
- Deadtime Stories
- The Devil's Messenger
- From Beyond the Grave
- Killer Story
- Night Train to Terror
- Tales from the Crypt
- Tales from the Darkside: The Movie
- Tales from the Grave
- Tales from the Grave 2
- Tales from the Hood
- Trick 'r Treat
- Trilogy of Terror
- Twilight Zone: The Movie
- Vault of Horror
- The Willies
TV Theme:
Halloween Episodes
With this... I will be able to watch any series no matter if it is horror, sitcom, Drama, Crime or what have you... as long as it is a Halloween episode of the show I can watch it.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 05:19:33 PM »
Real life getting in the way today... at this rate I will be lucky to get 1 or 2 shows watched today. This sucks!  :(
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »
Title: Twilight Zone: The Movie
Year: 1983
Director: Prologue & Segment 1: John Landis, Segment 2: Steven Spielberg, Segment 3: Joe Dante, Segment 4: George Miller
Rating: PG
Length: 101 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: Chinese, English, Portuguese

Stars:
Dan Aykroyd
Albert Brooks
Vic Morrow
Doug McGrath

Plot:
1959. Friday nights. We time-traveled. Witnessed surprising twists. Entertained aliens. Experienced fear. And first journeyed to The Twilight Zone of Rod Serling's memorable TV series. And guided by four imaginative moviemakers, we traveled there again in 1983. Directors John Landis, Steven Spielberg, Joe Dante, and George Miller fashion stories based on or inspired by classic episodes. Landis weaves the tale of a bigot who gets a walloping dose of his own hatred. Spielberg takes over with a fable of senior citizens offered a magical rejuvenation. Dante serves up a terror trip with a child who uses his cartoon-inspired powers to enslave his family. Then fright goes aloft with Miller's finale about a neurotic passenger who sees a monster on the jetliner's wing. Or does he?

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:
This is one of my old favorites. One of the first anthology horrors I ever seen. I always loved how this movie started. The prologue is a lot of fun. But I never cared much for the actual first segment of the movie. The one with the bigot finding out what it is like to be like the people he hates so much. It is a good idea for a story... and I wouldn't go so far to say it is a bad segment. It just seemed to not keep my attention as well as the rest of the movie.

The second story is more of a fun story. Where with the help of a new resident the people in the retirement home become young again while playing outside one night. And they need to decide if they want to stay young or be old once again.  Not the greatest story either... but I enjoyed it more then the first one.

In the third segment I enjoyed quite a bit. We meet a boy that can do anything he can imagine. Of course this is from a famous episode of the series. I am still not that familiar with the series and think that all the segments are from episodes of the series. But I must admit I like the way the episode was done more then the segment in this movie. As the movie made it too cartoon-ish.

The final segment is my favorite one in the movie. A man afraid of flying is up in a plane where he sees a gremlin out on the wing tearing up the plane. It is this segment that really made this movie for me. It pushes the movie to the next rating level for me personally.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 12
Time Started: 11:30am
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2010, 02:09:03 AM »
Title: Campfire Tales
Year: 1996
Director: David Semel, Martin Kunert, Matt Cooper
Rating: R
Length: 87 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
James Marsden
Amy Smart
Rick Lawrence
Jay R. Ferguson

Plot:
Horror takes a detour deep into the woods in this terrifying cross between Scream and Tales From The Crypt, starring Christine Taylor (Dodgeball) and Ron Livingston (Office Space).

Returning home from a concert and driving recklessly, four teenagers crash their car on a deserted road. To ward off the cold, they build a fire and wait for help. But the hair-raising stories they tell around the fire put a deeper chill into the night. Each tale is more lurid, more horrifying, more shocking than anything they've heard before. Yet for these unlucky teens in the woods, the biggest shock is still to come...

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is an Anthology Horror that I discovered in just the last couple years. And it quickly became my favorite Anthology movie I ever seen. There is a very short opening story Which admittedly is not that great. It is like most the stories in this movie... based off a well known urban legend.

Next we get to the wraparound story... which I love. Best one I ever seen on any of this type of movie. the wraparound story is well done and has great atmosphere of it's own.

Then we finally get to the first of the 3 actual stories. Which is a pretty good one. There is a newlywed couple that are driving around in  a camper... and they get lost and stranded in the back streets somewhere. Has likable characters and pretty good atmosphere. I liked how they handled the things in the dark... as you never get a good look at them. Though it was on the predictable side as it is based of a well known urban legend.

The second story has a young girl with an intruder in the house. Also off a well known urban legend so you know what to expect. I know what you are thinking... why watch something that you know how the stories are going to end. And I would normally agree with you... but these are done so well you don't mind the fact that you know where the stories are going... you just enjoy the journey of getting there.

The last story is my favorite of them all. A guy on a motorcycle (Glenn Quinn of Roseanne fame) stumbles onto a house where a beautiful mute girl lives... and it seems she lives in a haunted house. This is the one of the 3 stories that I do not recognize from an urban legend.

From here we find out the end of the wraparound story... which is also done well. 

this is a great movie over-all even if it is predictable. Definitely one I would recommend to any horror fan.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 13
Time Started: 5:00pm
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2010, 03:00:51 PM »
Title: The Tooth Fairy
Year: 2006
Director: Chuck Bowman
Length: 89 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:

Stars:
Lochlyn Munro
Chandra West
Nicole Munoz
Peter Wong
Peng Zhang

Plot:
Northern California, 1949: In the woods outside of a small town, a hideous witch lured children to her crumbling home where she stole their teeth, butchered their bodies, and cursed their souls to wander the earth forever. Decades later the house has been converted into a quaint country inn, but an untold evil remains: The witch's slumber has been disturbed, and her vengeful spirit seeks the violent slaughter of all who stay there. And for one eleven-year-old girl with a loose molar and an active imagination, the ultimate horror begins with a visit from THE TOOTH FAIRY.

Chandra West (WHITE NOISE), Lochlyn Munro (FREDDY VS. JASON) and P.J. Soles (HALLOWEEN, THE DEVIL’S REJECTS) star in this grisly shocker written by Stephen J. Cannell that rips open the dark side of a not-so-innocent childhood legend.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Not a bad story... but I definitely seen better. It is definitely worth watching... but at the same time it is not one I would spend too much money on. One thing I liked about this one is that it was more then just a movie about a witch... it was also a movie about ghosts... ghosts that needed help to get rid of the witch so their souls could finally find peace. For those that don't like gore... be warned that this one has a few scenes of gore in it. So over-all I would say this is a solid above average movie.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 14
Time Started: 7:30am
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2010, 06:00:36 PM »
Title: The Lost Boys: Two-Disc Special Edition
Year: 1987
Director: Joel Schumacher
Length: 97 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Jason Patric
Corey Haim
Dianne Wiest
Barnard Hughes
Edward Herrmann [Ed Herrmann]
Kiefer Sutherland

Plot:
Sam and his older brother Michael are all-American teens with all-American interests. But after they move with their mother to peaceful Santa Carla, California, things mysteriously begin to change. Michael's not himself lately. And Mom's not going to like what he's turning into.

The Lost Boys reshapes vampire tradition, deftly mixing heart-pounding terror, rib-tickling laughs and a body-gyrating rock soundtrack. Under Joel Schumacher's direction, a marvelous cast - Jason Patric, Jami Gertz, Kiefer Sutherland, Corey Feldman, Corey Haim, Barnard Hughes and Edward Herrmann - stakes you to gleefully ghoulish entertainment.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Multi-angle
Music Videos
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Definitely one of my favorite Vampire movies... one I have seen countless times that I never tire of. This movie is the first thing I ever seen Keifer Sutherland in... and I think he did an awesome job in it. I also think Jason Patric did a great job as Michael. and I definitely couldn't help but to enjoy the Old Fart (Grandpa)... I just get such a kick out of him and all the stuffed animals he gave to Sam. Definitely one I would highly recommend to any horror fan... especially vampire fans. Though I do believe most all horror fans probably seen this one by now!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 15
Time Started: 10:30am
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2010, 08:26:36 PM »
Title: Dinocroc: Sci-Fi Collection
Year: 2004
Director: Kevin O'Neill
Length: 85 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Costas Mandylor
Charles Napier
Jane Longenecker
Matt Borlenghi
Bruce Weitz
Joanna Pacula

Plot:
Imagine all the fury of a prehistoric carnivore combined with the ferocity of the largest crocodile known to man and you have the makings of nonstop terror. Run for your life as Gereco Corporation's experiment to manipulate a rapid-growth hormone gets out of control, and a ravenous monster gets out of its cage. Now the residents of the once-peaceful Grant's Lake have only the talents of a crude Australian reptile hunter, the short-handed local sheriff, his daughter the animal control expert, and her boyfriend, to save them from the insatiable jaws of a beastly feeding frenzy.

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Not to sure what to say about this one. I went in expecting a cheesy movie. And I did get that. But it definitely could have been worse. I thought the Dinocroc looked pretty cool. And I liked how they kept him mostly hidden from view for most of the movie. I would say it is basically an average movie. I went in not expecting much... so came out of it without being disappointed.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 16
Time Started: 12:30pm
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2010, 10:56:54 PM »
Supernatural: The Complete Fourth Season
RESURRECTION. AFTER ENDURING UNSPEAKABLE TORTURE, DEAN ESCAPES FROM HELL, rescued by an all-powerful creature he's never seen before: an Angel. This warrior of God who recruits Sam and Dean in Heaven's battle against Hell, amid whispers that a certain Fallen Angel will soon be freed from his prison deep in Hell: Lucifer. If Sam and Dean can't stop it – if Lucifer walks free – he'll bring on the Apocalypse. Meanwhile, the Winchester brothers reunite and hit the road, battling the supernatural wherever they go. They encounter demons, spirits, Dracula himself and even a drunk, heavily armed 7-foot-tall teddy bear. All the while, the ultimate war draws them into its horror throughout this enthralling 6-Disc, 22-Episode Season Four. Caught between Heaven and Hell, between God and the Devil, the Winchester brothers must battle for the future of humankind.

LAZARUS RISING
Dean wakes up in his own coffin. How did he return from the dead? What caused the hand-shaped welt on his shoulder? And what happened in the four months he spent in Hell, time he can’t remember?

My Thoughts:
This is the first episode of season 4. One I enjoyed very much. I am really Loving where they are bringing the storyline for this season.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 16
TV Ep. Count: 7
Time Started: 4:15pm
Pete