Author Topic: 2010 October Horror Marathon (Discussion thread)  (Read 32212 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 October Horror Marathon (Discussion thread)
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2010, 08:41:58 AM »
As you know I am not big into reviews... :bag:
I know :laugh:
But I can understand since I ain't sure if I will continue to review all the film I'll watch. I just find I've nothing interesting to say.
I wish I could watch Forbidden Planet right now as well, but my order hasn't been placed yet :laugh:
What are you waiting for, it's even on BR I think :whistle:

BTW have you appreciated Humanoids from the Deep and Alone in the Dark (I know you watched it before the marathon, but since it was a recommandation of mine)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2010, 08:59:39 AM »
Forbidden Planet is on Blu-ray.  That's what I got.  Great picture quality on it.  My copy of Galaxy of Terror and Parana - I think I misspelled that big time, but I can't think at the moment - are Blu-ray too.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2010, 12:38:29 PM »
I haven't watched any DVDs in a couple of weeks. I'm afraid real life has stepped in for me too.

I have micro tears in my Achilles tendon and I can rest it or have surgery. Either way the recuperation time is around 6 months. So, of course, I opted not to be operated on. But, the thought of not working for 6 months was unacceptable.

So, I been looking for a new job that my surgeon would clear me for and started one 2 weeks ago.

I'm doing home care for a lovely women. She was shot in the mouth (she was on the job as a police officer) and is now paralyzed from the neck down and needs help 24/7.

It is challenging work, more mental than physical, but I still get to use my critical care skills. Although, so far, we have spent most of our time together in her room I hope that changes as we develop our relationship.

Who know, maybe I'll never go back to hospital work!

hal9g

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2010, 02:55:45 PM »
Sounds like you have your hands full Kathy.

Your new job does indeed sound challenging, yet at the same time could be very rewarding.  What a sad thing to happen to someone you was willing to put themselves on the line to protect and keep us safe.

Hope your Achilles heals quickly without too much discomfort.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2010, 06:56:21 AM »
I am not sure it computes... Decisions was surgery or rest. You chose not to have surgery, yet I don't see how you can rest with that new job, taking care of that woman the whole time :headscratch:

I wish I could watch Forbidden Planet right now as well, but my order hasn't been placed yet :laugh:
What are you waiting for, it's even on BR I think :whistle:
Ordered last night ;) I hope it can arrive before the end of the month.

BTW have you appreciated Humanoids from the Deep and Alone in the Dark (I know you watched it before the marathon, but since it was a recommandation of mine)
Yes, I appreciated both.

Humanoids from the Deep is great exploitation (tits and gore) but was till trying to tell a tiny story behind that as well; heck, it's even trying to convey a message :laugh:

Alone in the Dark was not what I thought it would be, but in a good way. I was surprised it was more of an early home-invasion film than just slasher horror. It took me a while to remove it from my Wish List, but I am glad I did.

RossRoy

« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2010, 08:14:21 AM »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2010, 01:43:33 PM »
I am not sure it computes... Decisions was surgery or rest. You chose not to have surgery, yet I don't see how you can rest with that new job, taking care of that woman the whole time :headscratch:

It is the pounding that the leg takes on a 12 hour shift that might cause the tears to rupture. Hospital work is constant running, often without a break. If I were to accept a position, it had to meet my specific needs.

The job I accepted has almost no walking. My shifts vary but I'm predominately nights. She is in bed and mostly I'm there to be sure all her medical equipment is functioning. She is on a ventilator at night, needs suctioning at times and requires a registered nurse skilled in those areas.

I'm also there to meet her basic needs such as fluids, repositioning or whatever. Mostly I just sit next to her, we talk and watch TV. Her emotional needs are the ones that are the most pressing. Her life was so full and active and now this. The whole situation is heartbreaking and difficult for anyone to accept.

The hardest part of the job, for me, is the inability to give her what she needs - her life back. There is only mental and emotional stress for me in caring for this woman. There was that type of stress in critical care too but home care, I am finding, is different.

As far as physical stress, I even have a bed next to hers that I lay down on. She has told me I can sleep, everything has alarms, but I just can't do that. I know the other nurse does but I'm not comfortable with that. So, I'm back to drinking lots of coffee at night.

She has lots of commercial free movies so I have seen some films I've been meaning to get to such as Milk and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. We've also seen a few stinkers.

I'm actually doing more sitting and lying down working than I do at home. I'm tired when I get home but I have trouble sleeping when it's light out. So, I don't do too much at home either. I'm definitely letting my leg rest!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2010, 01:54:05 PM »
Thanks, Kathy. Seems I was imagining your job wrongly.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2010, 08:30:22 AM »
It's good that you're able to still rest your leg Kathy.

I was out running errands longer than I intended earlier...so I didn't get more watched for the 4th.  I may have limited time from now on too.  My mom is having some sort of problem.  It started earlier tonight.  She thinks it might be her gallbladder..and from what I read about it, it sounds like it could be.  She isn't wanting to go to the ER tonight even though she's miserable.  If it doesn't get better, I can see taking her tomorrow while stepdad is at work.  And from what I read, it sounds like they usually do surgery.  So.  If it is that, and she has to have surgery, I'll be at the hospital and then helping her once she is home.

hal9g

« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Review for The Covenant posted.

Review for Daywatch posted.

Review for Vengeance posted.

Review for Dark Water posted.

Review for The Descent posted.

Review for House of Wax posted.

Review for Exorcist: The Beginning posted.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 05:09:53 AM by Hal »

snowcat

« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2010, 09:49:49 AM »
So :p I said I wanted to join in..... but as usual real life has got in the way!

....so, I will be watching Nightmare on elm street all of the films this month :p and the Creepshow as I haven't seen it for a long time and hust bought it ;) I will try to review them to :p

hal9g

« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2010, 08:32:09 PM »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2010, 02:16:39 AM »
Not a bad day today... I watched 5 movies and 1 short. :)
Pete

hal9g

« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2010, 08:36:31 PM »
Review for White Noise posted.

snowcat

« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2010, 10:31:59 PM »
I watched the Horde today.... Hoping to post a review over the weekend