Author Topic: Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement
« on: September 22, 2010, 10:16:25 AM »
The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement

Starring the irresistible Anne Hathaway (Ella Enchanted) and Academy Award® winner Julie Andrews (Best Actress, Mary Poppins, 1964), this modern-day fairy tale picks up right where The Princess Diaries left off! As future queen of Genovia, Princess Mia (Hathaway) has everything a girl could want -- except the magical romance she's always dreamed of. But soon, Mia's shocked to discover that she needs to get married right now or her family will lose the crown! Comic complications rule the day in this delightful family story about finding out who you really are and discovering what it takes to make your dreams come true!

My Thoughts

I first saw this one in the theater when it was released.  I do enjoy it, though it isn't as good as the first movie.

The back cover claims this movie picks up right where the first one ended.  That isn't right.  Several years have passed - I think 5 - and Mia has just graduated college.  I do like that Genovia is the setting for this movie.  The plot is entertaining, though a few things about it are a bit silly, like Mia being forced to find a husband in a hurry to be able to become Queen.  She is still learning things about the country and about being a princess, and that does add some of the humor every so often.  I know that there is a series of books featuring Mia, but if I remember right - and I didn't pay attention to the credits this time - it didn't say this movie was based on one of the books.  I did read something a few years ago that said how different the movie was from any of the books.  The movie is entertaining, though the plot could have been a bit stronger.

This one is a good family movie like the first one.  Also like the first one, this movie will probably appeal more to girls than boys.  There is a bit more romance in this one, though not much is shown or happens. 

Mia and her grandmother continue to be entertaining, likable characters.  I also really like Joe, a man who works for Clarisse - the Queen.  I had forgotten that Chris Pine was in this one, though I recognized him as soon as he showed up.  He is kind of a jerk at times, but he ends up being a decent character.

I received the widescreen DVD a few months ago when someone was kind enough to send it to me. :)  I think there is a full screen version too.  There are several extras, including deleted scenes and some music videos.  So far, I've only watched the bloopers.  Those were funny. 

The plot for this one is a bit weaker, but it is still a fun, entertaining movie and I think it is worth watching.  I really like Mia, Clarisse, and Joe.  I wouldn't mind seeing another movie with the characters, though I don't think there are any plans for another one.

I did get a review posted on Epinions after I saw this one in the theater originally.

Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement