Author Topic: Nanny McPhee  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Nanny McPhee
« on: September 19, 2010, 08:53:24 AM »
Nanny McPhee

In this wickedly charming tale, EMMA THOMPSON portrays a mysterious woman with special powers who enters the household of the recently widowed Mr. Brown (COLIN FIRTH) and attempts to tame his seven very naughty children.  The children have managed to drive away 17 previous nannies, but as Nanny McPhee takes control, they begin to notice that their misbehaving has magical and startling consequences.  "A magical, fantastic and wonderful fable that will capture the heart of the whole family!" (Maria Salas, 'NBC-TV')

My Thoughts

I first saw this movie in the theater.   I loved it then and picked up the DVD once it was released.  I still really enjoy this movie.

There are similarities to Mary Poppins with a nanny arriving just when she is needed, but I think there is enough different about this movie to keep it from being just a copy of the other movie.  This one is based on the Nurse Mathilda books.  The plot is fairly simple, but very entertaining.  The Brown children behave horribly at first, but that starts to change after Nanny McPhee arrives.  She has a special way of dealing with the children and teaching them lessons that is a bit magical.  A lot of stuff about her remains a mystery and I think that adds to the magical feel of the movie. 

Several things that happen in the movie are funny.  Some of the humor is a bit silly, but it still works really well for the movie and helps makes things entertaining.  The children do act like brats at first, but that starts changing and they become nicer and more likable.  Much of what happens is predictable, but that doesn't make the movie less entertaining for me.  This one won't appeal to everyone.

There isn't a lot of character development, but that works for what is going on.  Nanny McPhee is a wonderful character and Emma Thompson does a great job with the part.  The makeup for the character is amazing.  She isn't recognizable at first.  I like how as the children start to act better her appearance slowly changes.  It is subtle at first, but becomes more noticeable. 

The DVD has a few entertaining extras, including bloopers and a featurette focused on the makeup for Nanny McPhee. 

I still love this movie and thing is has held up really well.  It is definitely worth watching.

I got a review posted on Epinions after I saw the movie in the theater.

Nanny McPhee