Author Topic: Jewel of the Nile  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Jewel of the Nile
« on: September 13, 2010, 07:41:32 AM »
The Jewel of the Nile

The action heats up – and so does the romance – with this thrilling sequel to Romancing the Stone that may be even "more fun than its predecessor" (New York)! Now on Special Edition DVD – and bristling with a sandstorm of features including never-before-seen deleted scenes, audio commentary, all-new featurettes and on-camera interviews with Michael Douglas, Kathleen Turner and Danny DeVito – this heart-pounding and explosive journey is one you'll want to take again and again!

When a handsome stranger lures Joan Wilder (Turner) away to his North African kingdom, Jack Colton (Douglas) won't let her go without a fight. Aided by Ralph (DeVito), Jack finds Joan swept up in a political war and in search of a mysterious jewel. To prevent the jewel – and Joan – from falling into the wrong hands, he must face the greatest challenge of his life...and rekindle a romance now turned stone-cold!

My Thoughts

I do enjoy this movie, though I don't think it is as good as Romancing the Stone, though I do like some elements of the story.  It is a bit different having the jewel be a person in this one instead of an actual jewel.  I do like how that plays out, especially with Jack and Ralph thinking there is an actual jewel.  The story is interesting, though a few things don't make as much sense..like someone wanting Joan to write a serious biography when she has only written romance books. 

Several things that happen are funny, and that helps to keep things interesting.  Action turns up in a few scenes here and there.  Some of it is a bit over the top, but it manages to work for the movie.  One or two things are slightly disturbing, but there isn't anything too offensive or extreme in the movie.  Romance is also a part of what is going on, though there really isn't a lot of that since Joan and Jack spend a chunk of the movie apart.  Even once they are together again, they are still disagreeing about different things. 

The characters are nice and it is nice to see them again.  Ralph does seem a little out of place.  The cast is fine in the parts.

The DVD does have a extra that has some of the cast and the director talking about the making of the movie that was filmed somewhat recently.  It is interesting.

I do like the movie overall and think it is worth watching, especially for people who liked the first movie.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

Jewel of the Nile

hal9g

Re: Jewel of the Nile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 04:15:44 PM »
While I did enjoy this movie, I agree that Romancing the Stone was better.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 09:25:41 PM »
Things were rather silly in the first one too...but somehow it all works better.

hal9g

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 09:34:16 PM »
Well, the first one was a parody of the romance novel style, and as such, I thought it worked very well.