Author Topic: Young Mr. Lincoln  (Read 2678 times)

hal9g

Young Mr. Lincoln
« on: July 31, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »

Title: Young Mr. Lincoln: The Criterion Collection
Year: 1939
Director: John Ford
Rating: NR
Length: 100 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Henry Fonda
Alice Brady
Marjorie Weaver
Arleen Whelan
Eddie Collins

Plot:
Few historical figures are as revered as Abraham Lincoln, and few director-star pairings embody classic American cinema as perfectly as that of John Ford and Henry Fonda. In Young Mr. Lincoln, their first collaboration, Fonda gives one of the finest performances of his career as the young president-to-be, struggling with an incendiary murder case as a novice lawyer. Compassionate and assured, this is an indelible piece of Americana.

Extras:
Scene Access
Featurettes
Gallery
DVD-ROM Content
28-page booklet; Archival audio interviews

My Thoughts:
It is so unfortunate that this movie was released in the same year as Gone with the Wind, The Wizard of Oz and Goodbye Mr. Chips and consequently was completely overlooked by the Academy, only garnering a single nomination for Writing.  As much as I love Robert Donat’s performance in Goodbye Mr. Chips, I think Fonda’s performance in this movie really deserved the Oscar.  Aside from the historical significance, this is a downright great mystery story and a great court room drama.  Henry Fonda is terrific as the laconic Abe Lincoln in his early days as he starts his career as a lawyer.  It is quite remarkable how much they were able to make him resemble the real man physically, before all of today’s fancy make-up techniques.  As usual Criterion has done a great job restoring this great film.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:25:23 PM by Hal »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Young Mr. Lincoln
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 12:23:21 AM »
This makes a good double feature with this...

Abe Lincoln in Illinois

I disagree with the comment about winning the Oscar over Donat. If you watch the film I posted, you'll see that Raymond Massey was even better at playing Lincoln.

I have heard many people say that after watching Goodbye, Mr. Chips, that they thought it was two separate actors playing the title role. That's the mark of a truly remarkable performance.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 12:32:45 AM by Antares »

hal9g

Re: Young Mr. Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 02:34:34 AM »
I have heard many people say that after watching Goodbye, Mr. Chips, that they thought it was two separate actors playing the title role. That's the mark of a truly remarkable performance.

Or really good makeup!   :hysterical:

Seriously, though, Donat's was a great performance.

I've put your suggestion in my wishlist!  Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:40:45 AM by Hal »