Author Topic: The Sorcerer's Apprentice  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
The Sorcerer's Apprentice
« on: July 19, 2010, 10:16:19 AM »

I was able to go see The Sorcerer's Apprentice when it opened on Wednesday.  I really enjoyed the movie.  It is a fun, family friendly adventure type of movie and I do think it is worth checking out.

Balthazar is a powerful wizard who has been fighting evil for a very long time.  He finds Dave, a somewhat nerdy guy, and sees the potential in him to be a powerful wizard.  Balthazar recruits Dave as his apprentice and starts training him.  The two of them have to deal with Horvath, an evil sorcerer who is determined to do something that endangers the world.

There is a bit more going on with the plot than I originally expected - not everything is shared in the trailers.  The main focus of fighting evil with magic is made clear in the trailer, but some other stuff going on.  Things aren't that complicated, though there is a lot going on.  The story works well and makes a very entertaining movie.  I've read that the movie is sort of based on the one segment from Fantasia, Sorcerer's Apprentice.  There is a scene that is clearly taken from that segment and I think it is done well in a way that works for this movie while also being a nice reference to the segment with Mickey.  There really isn't much mystery or suspense in the movie, but there are a few things that happen that I didn't expect.  There is a bit of predictability to what happens, but that doesn't keep the movie from being entertaining.  There is resolution at the end of movie while still leaving things open for another movie.  I would enjoy another movie, though one probably won't be made now since the movie didn't have a huge opening weekend..which is a shame because it is so fun and entertaining.

I really like all the magical stuff that is going on throughout the movie.  Some of it is somewhat like has been done with other movies dealing with magic, and other things are more original.  Effects are used to show most of the magic stuff and they are done well.  Things wouldn't have worked as well without the effects.  There are some fights using magic that aren't that violent.  A few things that happen might be scary or upsetting to younger children.  Some humor does turn up every so often.  Much of it comes from Dave and how he is trying to deal with becoming a sorcerer. 

The characters are interesting, though there isn't a lot of development for them.  Balthazar and Dave have a good dynamic together and their growing friendship is believable.  They do have disagreements.  Nicolas Cage is really good in the part.  I did think the shaggy hair looked slightly odd in previews, but it works for the character.  Jay Baruchel, does fine as Dave.  Horvath makes a very good villain for the movie.  He's clearly evil and he is willing to do anything to get what he wants.  Alfred Molina does a wonderful job with the part.  He is over the top at times, but that works for the character.  Drake Stone is a sorcerer who has a career as a popular magician.  He is supposed to have some of the same beliefs as Horvath, but it is clear that Drake isn't as serious about things.  He is just interested in his fame.  Frankly, he's a huge jerk.  He does remind me a bit of Criss Angel.  There might be a dash of David Blaine in there too. 

Overall I really enjoyed this movie.  It is fun and entertaining.  This is just one of those movies you watch for some mindless fun.  I will definitely be adding this one to my collection.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.