Author Topic: Doing the ABC's Movie Style!!  (Read 59216 times)

addicted2comics(:P)

Re: Doing the ABC's Movie Style!!
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2010, 10:17:19 PM »

Title: Underdog
Year: 2007
Director: Frederik Du Chau
Rating: PG
Length: 82 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1, Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Jason Lee (1970)
Peter Dinklage
Jim Belushi
Patrick Warburton
Alex Neuberger
Taylor Momsen

Plot:
It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a frog...no, it's Disney's Underdog — a flying, talking canine caped crusader! After an accident in the mysterious lab of mad scientist Dr. Simon Barsinister, an ordinary beagle named Shoeshine finds himself with extraordinary powers...and the ability to talk! Armed with a fetching superhero costume, Underdog vows to protect the beleaguered citizens of Capital City and, in particular, a beautiful spaniel named Polly Purebred. When a diabolical plot by Barsinister and his overgrown henchman Cad threatens to destroy Capital City, only Underwear...(oops!)...Underdog can save the day. Based on the original hit animated series Underdog — your family will love watching the next great hero take a big bite out of crime.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Outtakes/Bloopers
Underdog Cartoon

My Thoughts:

Always a favorite of mine to watch, trust me, this is way better than that old cartoon!! I especially love the special feature music video with Kyle Massey. Speed of lightining, roar of thunder! Haha! I shopuld make dad sit through that!! :devil: :devil:

But the movie, what can I say? It was nice for the family, brought a cartoon (which I though was horrible by the way) to the big screen and DVD, which is something I wouldn't think possible. If your looking for a fun little superhero movie, I recommend this. :D

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2010, 08:53:02 PM »

Title: Vampire in Brooklyn: Widescreen Collection
Year: 1995
Director: Wes Craven
Rating: R
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Eddie Murphy
Angela Bassett
Allen Payne
Kadeem Hardison
John Witherspoon
Zakes Mokae

Plot:
Eddie Murphy's got the bite stuff in this movie mix of bone-chilling horror and chill-out comedy directed by Wes Craven (A Nightmare on Elm Street). As the vampire Maximillian, the popular star is the most diabolical, dashing and definitely undead dude in the 'hood'. To add to the macabre fun, Murphy morphs into two other must-see characters: a paunchy preacher and a fast talking thug.

Angela Bassett (The Score) plays the cop who's world is rocked by Maximillian's attempts to make her his mate for eternity. And Kadeem Hardison is the vampire's haplessly decaying sidekick. Brooklyn may be home to the undead now that Max is around – but that means it's livelier than ever!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Definitely one of my favorite vampire movies, but then again I haven't seen that many. :laugh:

I liked the idea of a suave, sophisticated-type vampire to have chosen a street-wise lier, theif and cheater as his apprentice - a ghoul. That perspective was hilarious through the whole movie doing the "Flippity floppity jibby!" (and if you saw the movie you'd know why what I just typed was funny! :laugh: )

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2010, 10:18:49 PM »

Title: Wonder Woman: Two-Disc Special Edition
Year: 2008
Director: Lauren Montgomery
Rating: PG-13
Length: 74 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Keri Russell
Nathan Fillion
Alfred Molina
Rosario Dawson
Marg Helgenberger
Oliver Platt

Plot:
On the mystical island of Themyscira, a proud, strong warrior race of Amazon women lives in a utopian civilization shielded from the corrupt world of man. But a betrayal within the Amazon sisterhood leads to the escape of Ares, the God of War, and Amazon Princess Diana must capture him before he unleashes global chaos and destruction. With the aid of cocky fighter pilot Steve Trevor, Diana tracks Ares to the United States for a battle unlike any humankind has ever faced. Alfred Molina, Virginia Madsen, Oliver Platt, Rosario Dawson and David McCallum – infuses thunder and passion into this epic tale of the princess who becomes the World's Greatest Super Heroine.

Extras:
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Digital Copy
2 Bonus Cartoons

My Thoughts:

Short as it may be, a little over an hour (ignoring the credits) it is my favorite portrayal of Wonder Woman. Though I liked the 70s series, I didn't like how she seemed so ignorant to the outside world when she first arrived, and they never dived into that in the Justice Leagure cartoons. Here she is a strong warrior who simply wants peace and to bring the two worlds together, the way it should be.

It has a fair amount of humor, and really is excellently done when it comes to accuracy on Greek myths. They really picked up on everything.

(click to show/hide)

:laugh:

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2010, 02:51:37 PM »
Ok, last day of the marathon, I'm gonna wrap it up with these 3 movies.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2010, 03:02:29 PM »
I liked Underdog too. It was a gift from my youngest niece and nephews and is one we often pop in to watch together. And the music...you must have missed it...your dad actually watched Ray, a music filled DVD and he actually liked it!  :laugh:

I will have to check out Vampire in Brooklyn - I had never heard of it but you make me want to see it. Thanks.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2010, 03:24:15 PM »
It is a fun movie Kathy... check out the trailer...

Pete

« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2010, 04:47:15 PM »

Title: X-Men
Year: 2000
Director: Bryan Singer
Rating: PG-13
Length: 104 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Hugh Jackman
Patrick Stewart
Ian McKellen
Famke Janssen
James Marsden
Halle Berry

Plot:
Born into a world filled with prejudice are children who possess extraordinary and dangerous powers - the result of unique genetic mutations. Cyclops unleashes bolts of energy from his eyes. Storm can manipulate the weather at will. Rogue absorbs the life force of anyone she touches. But under the tutelage of Professor Xavier (Patrick Stewart), these and other outcasts learn to harness their powers for the good of mankind. Now they must protect those who fear them as the nefarious Magneto (Ian McKellan), who believes humans and mutants can never co-exist, unveils his sinister plan for the future!

Pulsing with state-of-the-art visual effects and unforgettable characters, X-MEN "delivers it all!" (ABC-TV)

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
THX
Animatics

My Thoughts:

I've seen reveiws of this across the web, a lot of fan didn't seem to like this trilogy. When it comes to all 3, its not one of my favorites, but it is pretty good...

My one and only complaint is the use of Kitty Pryde in this first movie. (Not saying the trilogy cuz I can barely remember the other two.) To me, she is one of the major members of the X-Men! May not be all that powerful, but walking through stuff is still really cool in my eyes! ;D She got one mention in the begining, a small appearance at the school, and that's it. I think it would hasve been interesting to, maybe, have her bunk with Rogue? Have her portrayed as the perky, teenage girl she was in the cartoon, X-Men: Evolution. Tell me that wouldn't have been sweet, or at least a little comic relief!! :thumbup:

I think the writers pretty much nailed the characters, and Mystique was done very well. I also liked the little origin piece on how Rogue's hair turned white. That really was never explained, as far as I know, and lets face it, that's definitely the first thing you notice about her!! :P

A enjoyable film for every so often.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Najemikon

« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2010, 04:54:56 PM »
Kitty Pryde wasn't one of the original X-Men though, I don't think. She gets a nice cameo in X-Men 2 and a cute mention right at the end. Then she's in part 3 properly... You can't just have it all in the first film!  ;)

« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2010, 06:43:25 PM »

Title: Young Frankenstein: Special Edition
Year: 1974
Director: Mel Brooks
Length: 106 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Gene Wilder
Peter Boyle
Marty Feldman
Madeline Kahn
Cloris Leachman
Teri Garr

Plot:
Mel Brooks' monstrously crazy tribute to Mary Shelley's classic pokes hilarious fun at just about every Frankenstein movie ever made. Summoned by a will to his late grandfather's castle in Transylvania, young Dr. Frankenstein (GENE WILDER) soon discovers the scientist's step-by-step manual explaining how to bring a corpse to life. Assisted by the hunchbacked Igor (MARTY FELDMAN) and the curvaceous Inga (TERI GARR), he creates a monster (PETER BOYLE) who only wants to be loved. CLORIS LEACHMAN, MADELINE KAHN, KENNETH MARS and GENE HACKMAN co-star in this inspired vision of lunacy.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
Interviews
Outtakes/Bloopers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Well, some parts of the movie was really funny. Others were, umm....disturbing? Idk, some humor in this is simply not my taste, though others, my dad included, would find it hilarious.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2010, 06:46:51 PM »
Kitty Pryde wasn't one of the original X-Men though, I don't think. She gets a nice cameo in X-Men 2 and a cute mention right at the end. Then she's in part 3 properly... You can't just have it all in the first film!  ;)

Yeah, like I said, I can't remember the other 2 films as well, and I'm really not that much of an X-Men fan. I just really like how it was done in the cartoon, so I guess I expect that  :laugh:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2010, 07:24:46 PM »
I absolutely love Young Frankenstein. I saw it in a theater with a group of high school friends. We laughed so hard one of them ended up in the hospital - he tore an abdominal muscle!

My joy in watching this film has not diminished over the years. My niece and nephews love it too and can almost recite verbatim the entire movie.

« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2010, 08:30:05 PM »

Title: Zoom: Academy for Superheroes
Year: 2006
Director: Peter Hewitt
Length: 88 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Tim Allen
Courteney Cox
Chevy Chase
Spencer Breslin
Kevin Zegers
Kate Mara

Plot:
Buckle up and prepare for a ride that's out of this world! When Earth is threatened with imminent destruction, an out-of-shape, out-of-work and over-the-hill former superhero is called back into action to save the day.

That hero is Jack Sheppard a.k.a "Captain Zoom" (Tim Allen). The problem is he's lost all his powers. And now, it's up to General Larraby (Rip Torn) and Dr. Grant (Chevy Chase) to coax him into taking one more mission: train a ragtag bunch of kids with amazing superpowers of their own. With help from the brainy Marsha Holloway (Courteney Cox), they'll learn to work as a team and harness their powers to battle an evil menace who's determined to make one seriously huge mess of life as we know it.

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Outtakes/Bloopers
Closed Captioned
Academy for Superheroes Guide for Kids

My Thoughts:

I am like, 3/4 sure I reviewed this before, but this is an awesome role for Tim Allen, at least I think so, and he showed it in a Making Of video.

"Cuz everyone wants these little lunatics....to be like ME!!"

:laugh:

There are a lot of laughs here (I've watched this a bunch of times, so its not quite laugh-out-loud anymore) and I loved the comic book-style opening/ending here. Nice touch, and perfect music too, though if you talk to my dad, the perfect music is "mute"!! :tease: The fact of having a little girl be so strong, it's just, well, adorable!!

Great family movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2010, 08:33:18 PM »
Brittany finished the marathon before the month was over!  :yahoo: And that is with quite a late start too!  :thumbup:
Pete

hal9g

« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2010, 11:22:22 PM »
WTG, Brittany.  Nice job!