Author Topic: My Alphabet Marathon Reviews  (Read 46754 times)

Najemikon

Re: My Alphabet Marathon Reviews
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2010, 07:48:38 PM »
 :o

Nine To Five is a classic!  :redcard:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2010, 07:59:54 PM »
You know... you are right... it is a classic. A classic bore!  :tease:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2010, 09:39:23 PM »
No no no...all the horror aver the years has warped your brain.  9 to 5 is great.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2010, 09:43:58 PM »
The only thing I found great about Nine to Five is when it was finally over!  :tease:
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2010, 04:19:15 AM »
What do you expect from someone who wants to include Miss Congeniality in every marathon he ever does?   :laugh:  Sorry, Pete, but I have to side with the others here...9 to 5 is great!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2010, 12:05:30 PM »
 :laugh: Now Roger... Miss Congeniality is 10 times the movie Nine to Five is! And I can't even put the " :tease:" up on that one... because I seriously believe that!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2010, 01:24:15 PM »

Title: Operation Pacific
Year: 1951
Director: George Waggner
Rating: NR
Length: 109 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: Bahasa, Chinese, English, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
John Wayne
Patricia Neal
Ward Bond
Scott Forbes
Philip Carey
Paul Picerni

Plot:
Meet the dive-for-glory torpedo devils of the USS Thunderfish.

World War II rages across the Pacific and Lt. Cmdr. Duke E. Gifford is in the thick of it. He evacuates children from enemy-held islands. Oversees the development of torpedoes at Pearl Harbor. And prowls the depths in the submarine Thunderfish for a chance to aim his improved "tin fish"— torpedoes — at the enemy.

John Wayne plays Gifford in Operation Pacific. "I'm no theory man. I'm a line officer," Gifford barks. He backs it up with lots of bite in several feverish sea battles. He's also a man with a loving wife at home (fellow Academy Award® winner Patricia Neal). Vice Admiral Charles Lockwood, World War II commander of all U.S. Pacific submarines, was technical advisor for this adventure packing real you-are-there thrills!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one I got from my mother's collection when she passed away this past year. It is one of many John Wayne movies that was given to her from our good friend Roger. I enjoyed this one. It is a good entertaining movie. Though it is a little slow in some scenes for my taste. But I enjoyed it enough to say I can definitely see myself watching it again at some time.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2010, 05:13:45 PM »

Title: The Parent Trap
Year: 1961
Director: David Swift
Rating: G
Length: 129 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Hayley Mills
Maureen O'Hara
Brian Keith
Charles Ruggles
Una Merkel
Leo G. Carroll

Plot:
Hayley Mills, Special Academy Award® winner for 1960's Pollyanna, lights up the screen in Disney's fondly remembered release of The Parent Trap. Mills stars as Susan and Sharon, identical twins separated at birth. Neither twin knows the other exists until a simple twist of fate finds them at the same summer camp. Then, realizing who they are, they plan a little twist of their own. They switch places with high hopes of getting their parents back together. This delightful and heartwarming comedy will have your whole family doubling up with laughter.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Music Videos
Interviews
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
While I knew I seen the remake with Lindsay Lohan... going into this movie I couldn't remember if I ever seen the original. After watching it I can definitely say I didn't. Being over two hours... it is longer then I expected from a family movie. But it is one I enjoyed quite a bit. I did notice that the remake does follow this one pretty well. I just can't decide which I like more the original or the remake.  I guess all I can say on that is I enjoyed them both. This movie has some good laughs in it. It does look a little dated... but the movie is almost 50 years old now.

This movie came in a 2 movie set with part 2.  It is a nice release... with lots of extras as well. Though I did find it odd how they put the set together. The two movies are on disc 1... it is a single sided disc... so when the menu comes up you just pick which movie of the two you want to watch. Then there is a second disc with extras for both movies. I would have thought it would have made more sense to put each movie on it's own disc with the extras for each movie on the disc with that movie. But oh well... what can you do but take it the way they decide to give it to you.

I still haven't watched the second movie yet. That one I never seen before either. The second part is a made for TV movie made 25 years later and once again Hayley Mills returns to play Sharon and Susan. I am looking forward to watching it as well.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2010, 07:17:20 PM »

Title: The Quick and the Dead: Superbit
Year: 1995
Director: Sam Raimi
Rating: R
Length: 105 Min.
Audio: English: DTS: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Sharon Stone
Gene Hackman
Russell Crowe
Leonardo DiCaprio
Tobin Bell
Roberts Blossom

Plot:
In this edgy and darkly humorous Western, a mysterious young woman rides into the lawless town of Redemption to settle an old score that has haunted her since she was a child. She becomes swept up in a deadly quick-draw tournament and, in order to win her revenge, must compete in a contest in which gunslingers from all over put their lives on the line for fame and fortune.

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. There is a lot of well known people in this one. I especially enjoyed Lance Henriksen's character. And even though I don't normally like him... I did like Leonardo DiCaprio in this movie. I was somewhat surprised to see Tobin Bell's name in this one though... as at the time I had no idea who he was... he didn't become familiar to me till the Saw movies. Anyway... I am glad I added this movie to my collection. I think it is a good story and everyone involved did a fine job.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2010, 11:29:55 PM »

Title: Ready To Rumble
Year: 2000
Director: Brian Robbins
Rating: PG-13
Length: 106 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
David Arquette
Oliver Platt
Scott Caan
Bill Goldberg
Rose McGowan
Diamond Dallas Page

Plot:
What's more fun than a wrestling fan who drives a pump-it-up-and-dump-it sewage truck and sucks up the sweet air of World Championship Wrestling™ glory at night? Two wrestling fans - Gordie and Sean!

David Arquette is Gordie and Scott Caan is Sean in this laugh-slammin' comedy directed by Brian Robbins (Varsity Blues). With their brains in a hammerlock and their hopes high, Gordie and Sean set out to help their favorite WCW™ Monday Nitro hero (Oliver Platt) regain the championship. Bill Goldberg, Diamond Dallas Page, Sting and more superstars join the spin-dropping, power-bombing, ladder-swinging goings-on. To borrow from Gordie and Sean: they're the wrestlers who are better than all the restlers.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
Music Videos
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Next up I wanted something a bit light-hearted and silly. And this is definitely that. I am not a wrestling fan. I used to watch it many years ago... but I haven't for a very long time. But what I do like about this movie... and the main reason I bought it is because I like both David Arquette and Rose McGowan. I bought this movie after discovering Rose McGowan on Charmed. Unfortunately she isn't in this one as much as I would have liked. But it is a decent part. This movie is a fun watch when you just want something silly... something that you just don't want to think about. And just loose yourself in mindless entertainment. Even then some of this stuff makes you just shake your head and call the characters idiots!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2010, 01:38:56 AM »

Title: Short Circuit
Year: 1986
Director: John Badham
Rating: PG
Length: 99 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Ally Sheedy
Steve Guttenberg
Fisher Stevens
Austin Pendleton
G. W. Bailey
Brian McNamara

Plot:
Steve Guttenberg and Ally Sheedy co-star in this high-tech comedy adventure about Number Five, a robot who escapes into the real world after he short-circuits in an electrical storm and decides that he's human. Because he's carrying destructive weapons, the Defense Department and his designer (Guttenberg) are desperate to find him. But Number Five is being protected by a young woman (Sheedy) who is teaching him a gentler way of life.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I haven't seen in many years! So much so that going into it all I could remember is brief bits and pieces of the movie. I am so thrilled I finally added to this one to my collection. It is still a lot of fun. And I must admit... Johnny Five was right about one thing... Ally Sheedy... Nice Software!  :laugh: The movie definitely held up great for me. There was several times I literally laughed out loud. Unfortunately the DVD Release leaves some to be desired. It could be worse.... at least it is in widescreen... but there is absolutely no extras on this what so ever. Not even trailers for other movies let alone a trailer for this. Which makes me very upset considering I just got this and I now find out there is indeed a special Edition out for this movie for only a few dollars more then what I paid for this one!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2010, 10:51:19 AM »

Title: Twister
Year: 1996
Director: Jan De Bont
Rating: PG-13
Length: 113 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Helen Hunt
Bill Paxton
Jami Gertz
Cary Elwes
Lois Smith
Philip Seymour Hoffman

Plot:
The house rips apart piece by piece. A bellowing cow spins through the air. Tractors fall like rain. A 15,000-pound gasoline tanker becomes an airborne bomb. A mile-wide, 300 miles-per-hour force of total devastation is coming at you: Twister is hitting home. In this adventure swirling with cliffhanging excitement and awesome special effects, Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton play scientists pursuing the most destructive weatherfront to sweep through mid-America's tornado Alley in 50 years. By launching electronic sensors into the funnel, the storm chasers hope to obtain enough data to create an improved warning system. But to do so, they must intercept the twisters' deadly path. The chase is on!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Production Notes
Closed Captioned
THX

My Thoughts:
This is another movie I always enjoyed. Probably more then I should considering everything. I have seen it many times since it was released... but haven't watched it in several years now. Sure this movie has plenty of unbelievable things in it. It is definitely far from perfect storytelling... but there is just something about this one that I like. You just have to turn your brain off going into it. I really enjoyed  both Holly Hunter and Bill Paxton in this one. While I didn't care much for her character... I also enjoyed Jami Gertz in this one. Till today I didn't even realize she was the same woman that played Muffy in the '80s TV Series... Square Pegs.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2010, 01:25:10 PM »

Title: Universal Soldier
Year: 1992
Director: Roland Emmerich
Rating: R
Length: 104 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: Spanish

Stars:
Jean-Claude Van Damme
Dolph Lundgren
Ally Walker
Ed O'Ross
Jerry Orbach
Leon Rippy

Plot:
Two of the biggest action stars are together for the first time in one explosive adventure. JEAN-CLAUDE VAN DAMME is Luc Devreaux and DOLPH LUNDGREN is Sgt. Andrew Scott, two soldiers who kill each other in Vietnam and are then brought back to life 25 years later for a secret government program. Known as "Unisols," they're genetically enhanced, unstoppable killing machines with no memory, no feelings and no free will. But on an antiterrorist mission, Devreaux's memory starts to return and he escapes from the program. A superhuman chase across the country begins, with Sgt. Scott in unrelenting pursuit of the man who killed him. Devreaux heads for his home and a reunion with his unbelieving parents. There Sgt. Scott corners him for the ultimate clash of the titans.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is another movie I haven't watched in several years. Not too bad for some mindless entertainment. I used to really enjoy Van Damme movies... but it seems over the years I just don't have the taste for them that I had. At least this one does have a bit of a sci-fi twist to it. So that added to the entertainment some.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2010, 04:01:16 PM »

Title: Vertigo
Year: 1958
Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Rating: PG
Length: 128 Min.

Stars:
James Stewart
Kim Novak
Barbara Bel Geddes
Tom Helmore
Henry Jones

Plot:
A San Francisco detective suffering from acrophobia investigates the strange activities of an old friend's wife, all the while becoming dangerously obsessed with her.

My Thoughts:
This one I watch off On-Demand. One of the On-Demand channels is having a Hitchcock month of sorts and has a folder with a few of his most popular movies. I went to watch this and what happens?... I fell asleep! No... I didn't find it that boring. I just was up late last night and then woke early this morning. I just needed an extra hour I guess. Plus the fact that I think I am getting sick over here.

I think I may have messed myself up a little on this one. While I tried not to I was really hyped up to watch this one as I always heard it was a great one. So while I enjoyed it very much... I was kind of expecting more from it. So while it was very enjoyable... at the same time I was kind of thinking... ok... that's it? All THAT hype for this? I don't want you to get the wrong idea here... this is one I definitely want to add to my collection!

Both James Stewert and Kim Novak were wonderful in this movie. The story kept my interest... and the suspense was definitely there.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2010, 04:02:35 PM »
I still like the original Universal Soldier, one of my favorite Van Damme movies. I recently picked up the bluray but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. All of the sequels were quite horrible except I am hearing good things about the most recent, Regeneration where they bring Dolph Lundren back. Apparently it is pretty good.  :D