Author Topic: Safari Web Browser  (Read 1316 times)

Critter

Safari Web Browser
« on: October 25, 2010, 09:54:04 AM »
I was wondering if anyone else here used the browser 'Safari'. I have recently started using it after I switched from Firefox and I quite like it but one thing is bothering me. I like that Safari has an auto spelling corrector, but it really annoys me that it's in American English, rather than well... English English. It keeps putting little red squiggly lines under words like 'colour' and 'favourite'. This is really bothering me because I have always considered myself a good speller, and even though it's just a computer I am still unhappy about being accused of misspelling words that I know are correct. Is there a way I can change this to UK English?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 10:36:05 AM by Critter »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Safari Web Browser
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 10:02:48 AM »
Ckick right on a misspelled word and go to Spelling -> Spelling. On the popup that opens in the bottom left corner you can select dictionary.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Critter

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 10:37:10 AM »
Thanks for that. I just changed it to 'Australian English'. To be honest I don't know how that differs at all to UK English but I thought I would give it a go anyway.

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 12:18:15 PM »
Thanks for that. I just changed it to 'Australian English'. To be honest I don't know how that differs at all to UK English but I thought I would give it a go anyway.

Australian English automatically puts a question mark on the end of all your sentences...  :tease:

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 12:31:38 PM »

Australian English automatically puts a question mark on the end of all your sentences...  :tease:

not to forget a ", Dude" right before the question mark  :2cents: :tease:

Critter

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 12:34:11 PM »

Australian English automatically puts a question mark on the end of all your sentences...  :tease:

:hysterical:

I suppose this refers to that "myth" that Australians end every sentence on a high pitch. I obviously can't hear it myself, but I have heard people from other countries claim that this is the truth so I suppose I will take their word for it  ;).

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 12:55:30 PM »
One of our channels regularly shows a Motorway Cops style programme from Australia and it's so funny! I would assume it lessens with regional dialects? I can't remember ever noticing it in Neighbours and I've never heard the Minogues do it. Danni is regularly on X-Factor and I've never noticed it.

But on that Cops programme and another one about Passport control, it just makes it so funny!

"I'm going to have to check your passport?" etc! :hysterical:

Critter

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 01:07:21 PM »
Hmm, is the show called 'Highway Patrol'? That sounds similar to what you are describing but I've never actually watched it myself. To be perfectly honest though I obviously can't hear my own accent... or that of anyone around me, but whenever I see an Australian character in an American TV show or film I always think that's what I sound like? It seems to always really stick out. Yet funnily enough it's the American accents in those situations that sound more normal to me. I suppose that's the result of growing up in a country where about 50% of TV is from the US.

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 01:48:08 PM »
Yeah, that's the one! Highway Patrol... Great show.  :P