Author Topic: The Karate Kid (2010)  (Read 13807 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: The Karate Kid (2010)
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2010, 09:33:57 AM »
I saw the trailers and read enough about this film to know what I am talking about :whistle:

It's like when we see a dog's turd on the sidewalk, we don't need to eat it to know it taste like shit :dance:

kahless

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2010, 09:35:52 AM »
[...]
It's like when we see a dog's turd on the sidewalk, we don't need to eat it to know it taste like shit :dance:

:hysterical:

Critter

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2010, 09:50:16 AM »
Well if film as a medium is comparable to dog shit then that makes a lot of sense.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2010, 10:40:47 AM »
Marie could you add the title in the upper part of your reviews? It's because if it appears on the front page the guests won't have any idea of what you are talking about.

And no my idea haven't change... I won't watch this in my lifetime, for me some things are insulting and this film is one of them. Sorry if I sound stubborn or harsh, but it's a stupid movie idea for a younger audience who don't know better.

I forgot about that before..sorry about that.  All fixed now. :)

Najemikon

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2010, 11:16:14 AM »
Thank you, Marie. Nice to see I came to the same conclusions as you. ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2010, 02:54:07 PM »
Britt and I wanted to go see this. But I don't think we will get the chance to. I will have to wait for the DVD I guess.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2010, 07:01:15 PM »
Well if film as a medium is comparable to dog shit then that makes a lot of sense.
Some are, why do you think a bad film is named a pieces of crap or a turd?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2010, 09:18:40 PM »
Thank you, Marie. Nice to see I came to the same conclusions as you. ;D

Welcome. :)

Also...most of the reviews on Epinions give it 4 stars too.  So I don't think we are in the minority overall.  Though it wouldn't be the first or last time if we were. 

Najemikon

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2010, 09:37:15 PM »
That's good. I can absolutely understand cynicism towards it, but it shouldn't be written off.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2010, 09:42:36 PM »
No it shouldn't.

I had my own doubts about it when I heard about it.  But the trailer looked interesting enough that I wanted to see it and I'm glad I did.  It is really entertaining.  I'm still impressed by Jackie Chan's acting in this one.  He showed so much more range than I've seen him do before..though I haven't seen all his movies, so maybe he has done that in some he made in China.

Najemikon

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2010, 09:52:22 PM »
I think he does have that range in a couple of his Chinese films, but it's unusual to see it sustained because they are almost always set-piece led fight movies, which you don't watch for drama and cover a multitude of acting sins. However, his silent comedy style and timing has always been of the highest caliber. Did you catch his grimace at the end of the scrap with the bullies?  :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2010, 10:00:16 PM »
I think he does have that range in a couple of his Chinese films, but it's unusual to see it sustained because they are almost always set-piece led fight movies, which you don't watch for drama and cover a multitude of acting sins. However, his silent comedy style and timing has always been of the highest caliber. Did you catch his grimace at the end of the scrap with the bullies?  :laugh:

Yes I remember that.  I thought he did a lot of subtle stuff in this one.

Critter

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2010, 12:19:10 AM »
Some are, why do you think a bad film is named a pieces of crap or a turd?

I just don't think it's a valid reference when you are comparing it to film. I don't need to kill someone to know that I don't want to be a murderer, but that doesn't mean that I can judge films without viewing them.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2010, 01:24:00 AM »
We will have to agree to disagree on this one... I watched movies since long enough to know from a trailer and the general vibe I got to recognize shitty idea when I see one.

People will so remember this awesome classic film in 20 years ::)
Not a single chance, but if it's happen it's really really sad to see what the "movie" audience had become...

Najemikon

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2010, 01:40:06 AM »
Jimmy, this is why we're getting riled. You go from one extreme to another.

It's one thing to say, "I saw the trailer, I know the story, I don't want to see it, because I will likely not like it."

It's fine to expand on that and assume that it's a remake made for the wrong reasons and is one more nail in the coffin of cinema as a vibrant, original medium. It isn't, but it's reasonable to think that.

But you can't leave it there. You then have to call into question the intelligence of the people who want to see it and worse, you ignore everything we've said. You're sticking your fingers in your ears and singing "la la la, you're all idiots, la la la"... 

I for one have been following Jackie Chan films for years. Seeing him do so well in this is just magic and the film will be remembered for years because of him, just like his millions of worldwide fans know of everything else he's ever done. But of course, you'll ignore me saying that because it isn't consistent with your blinkered assessment.  :shrug: