Author Topic: Finding Nemo  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Finding Nemo
« on: June 27, 2010, 10:17:32 AM »
Finding Nemo

From the Academy Award®-winning* creators of Toy Story and Monsters, Inc., it's time to dive into Finding Nemo – a hilarious adventure that takes you into the breathtaking underwater world of Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

When Nemo, a young clownfish, is unexpectedly carried far from home, his overprotective father, Marlin (Albert Brooks), and Dory (Ellen DeGeneres), a friendly but forgetful regal blue tang fish, embark on an epic journey that leads to encounters with vegetarian sharks, surfer dude turtles, hypnotic jellyfish and hungry seagulls!

Finding Nemo's breakthrough computer animation is the ultimate viewing experience.  This 2-Disc Collector's Edition overflows with something for everyone, including exclusive animation, deleted scenes, games, and more! "Unlike any movie you've ever seen! You could be 5 or 95 and you'll enjoy this film." – Leonard Maltin, Hot Ticket

*2001, Best Animated Short Film, For The Birds.

My Thoughts

I saw this one in the theater when it first came out..though it did take about a month before I managed to see it.  I can't remember why I waited that long now.  Anyway, I loved the movie and I picked up the DVD as soon as it was released.

The story works very well and makes for an entertaining movie.  A lot of parents could probably related to the fear of a child being lost or taken.  Marlin was being very over protective, but considering what happened to Pearl and the other eggs, it isn't surprising.  I love Dory.  What could have been an annoying character ends up being really cute and entertaining.  Dory is a part of some of the funniest moments in the movie.  Bruce the shark is pretty funny too.  There is a decent amount of action and a bit of suspense to what is going on, though much of what happens is more predictable.  That doesn't keep the movie from being entertaining.

The animation is gorgeous.  I have a feeling this is going to look absolutely amazing once it is released on Blu-ray.  The ocean looks so realistic while also clearly being created with animation.  The fish look mostly realistic, though somethings with the location of eyes and how they move a bit differently are off, but they still look amazing to me.  I did notice more little details watching it this time, like the scales on Marlin.  There are scenes when the fish are other of water that looks so amazing since the fish so clearly look wet. 

The characters are interesting and entertaining, though there are more that aren't developed as much.  The movie jumps between Marlin and Dory on their journey and Nemo in the fish thank.  There are several fish in the tank and they all have their own issues.  The voices are wonderful and work perfectly for the characters. 

I have the 2 disc DVD for this one and I'll definitely get the Blu-ray once it is finally released.  There is an interesting featurette on the making of the movie that I really enjoyed.  Early test footage is shown, and some of it looks so much like the real footage, that you can't tell the difference.  Andrew Stanton, the director, said he couldn't tell which was which when he was first shown them side by side. 

This is an absolutely wonderful movie that definitely deserves to be seen.

I did post a review on Epinions back in 2003 after seeing the movie in the theater.

Finding Nemo