Author Topic: Tom's Time-Travel Movie Reviews  (Read 138581 times)

lyonsden5

Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Time-travel Movies
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 04:56:33 PM »
This was it for this marathon. 14 movies in 3 Days! I think this is a record for me. The following movies were also on my list but will have to wait for another time.

Well done Tom  :yu:

I've always enjoyed anything to do with time travel. Everything from "wow, they did that well" to "they really blew that one". Either way to me it has always been entertaining and fascinating. Almost as much fun as alternate realities to me :thumbup:

Good choice for a maraton. Might have to do my own soon.  :cheers:

Peter von Frosta

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 05:38:27 PM »
You absolutely have to add Il Mare to your list. It's not the usual time travel flick and the story is played and executed very well.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2008, 05:43:39 PM »
You absolutely have to add Il Mare to your list. It's not the usual time travel flick and the story is played and executed very well.
Do you mean this one? I liked "The Lake House" so I will definetely look out for it. Thanks!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2008, 05:46:43 PM »
Have you seen Butterfly Effect before? If not, don't torture yourself. I thought it was dreadful! Nice idea, but overplayed and the ending is just ridiculous.
Yes, I have seen it before (otherwise I wouldn't have bought the critically dissed Butterfly Effect 2). I really liked the first part (preferrably the DC ending). The second part I do not remember much anymore, so I am not sure if I liked it or not.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008, 05:56:40 PM »
You have mentioned this so often now, that I will try to find the DVD in Hong Kong (which has English subtitles too) when I am there in early March.

:)
I hope you'll like it!

My thoughts:
One of my all-time favorite movies! And it was a good call that the writers did not try to invent a reason why Phil relives the day.
No reason...? He was a mean bastard before and needed to relive that one day until he became a good person and fell in love with that chick. They didn't spell out the reason (which is good), but there certainly was one.
Yes, I meant I am glad they did not try to give a scientific or other reason like gypsy curse or such.

Ending a movie like that is always difficult. For some reasons I remember liking the Theatrical ending better than the Director's version, which several people couldn't understand, but I can't recall the difference right now. ...and even if I could, I am sure Tom doesn't want to hear it at this point, I think :laugh: Maybe he can refresh my memory after watching it.

I liked the director's cut version better, which also had other additional scenes with which this alternative ending has much more impact than the kinda boring theatrical ending.
With his realization, that there were other brothers before him who had all the same problem (and therefore killed themselves in the womb also and his mother has therefore miscarried). And then we hear, that his mother again is pregnant. But this time with a girl and so the cycle is broken.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2008, 06:41:14 PM »
Almost as much fun as alternate realities to me :thumbup:
I love alternate realities, too. Even better when mixed with time-travel: Changing something in the past and present changes.
I already have alternative realities planned for future marathons: A Star Trek one and one for other TV series.

Peter von Frosta

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2008, 07:15:36 PM »
Do you mean this one? I liked "The Lake House" so I will definetely look out for it. Thanks!

Yep. There is even a german dvd out there. I don't know how the german dub is though, I got myself this one which is reasonable cheap considering it's a beautiful digipak 2-dvd+ost discset.

I've never watched Lake House, I already found Keanu Reaves in Sweet November very dull. He's a good action star and does great comedy, but isn't very good for drama.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2008, 07:25:04 PM »
Yep. There is even a german dvd out there. I don't know how the german dub is though, I got myself this one which is reasonable cheap considering it's a beautiful digipak 2-dvd+ost discset.[/url]
It looks like the German DVD has not the original audio track so it is out of the question. I'll probably order it here as this is where I order from on a regular basis.

I've never watched Lake House, I already found Keanu Reaves in Sweet November very dull. He's a good action star and does great comedy, but isn't very good for drama.
It has Sandra Bullock in it, good enough reason for me :)

Peter von Frosta

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2008, 08:10:11 PM »
You should consider my source as the korean version has good english subs and the best picture out there. I'm not very fond of tai seng, the only thing that speaks for them are the good subs, but they are usually very intrusive and picture quality isn't too good.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2008, 08:35:31 PM »
You should consider my source as the korean version has good english subs and the best picture out there. I'm not very fond of tai seng, the only thing that speaks for them are the good subs, but they are usually very intrusive and picture quality isn't too good.
Thanks. I just looked at the reviews on Amazon.com for this release. It seems you are correct and also worse: There is no original Korean audio track but only Cantonese and Chinese dubs  :stars:
You have saved me from a disappointing purchase  :thumbup:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2008, 09:05:59 PM »
What is your experience regarding customs ordering from yesasia? Should I better make separate orders when ordering multiple items? Do they declare the correct value and have the invoice with the shipment?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2008, 09:21:56 PM »
"YesAsia.com will pay the VAT (Value Added Tax) and custom duties for orders shipped to the United Kingdom and Germany"

Nice service :)

Najemikon

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2008, 09:28:03 PM »
(click to show/hide)

It's all so bloomin' pointless!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2008, 10:01:32 PM »
YesAsia looks like a really great source for R3 movies. Free shipping on a lot of titles if order value higher than $25 and the refund of custom payments if you live in UK or Germany. For US and Canadian customers, you must go to us.yesasia.com instead and I think the shipping options are even better for you.

Here is what I will order:
First order:
Il Mare (of course)
I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK: Really great movie I saw at the AsiaFilmfest. Do not let you distract you by the title, it's misleading. It is not Science Fiction but a quirky romantic comedy.

My second order will probably be (but not now):
Death Note (2 movie set) (Heard a lot of good things about these)

You'll even find my recommendation "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" there. I recommend the Hong Kong version (US link) for its price (about $15). Even though the Korean release (US link) has a really nice packaging and 3 discs, the included bonus features do not seem to be really noteworthy.

Najemikon

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
I've used YesAsia a few times, because Region 3 is great value. Normally their releases are identical to English ones, in some cases better (the best version of Army of Darkness is R3). Also they often have limited edition packaging because it's an incentive against piracy in Asia (I've had Dances With Wolves, Pan's Labyrinth, Band of Brothers and Big Fish in their "Really Cool" editions!). Finally the site is well done so you're able to pick out unusual films that aren't marketed in the West at all (I'm particularly fond of Some and, though I can't say I'm desperate to see it again, 3-Iron was a unique piece of work that I knew nothing about.

In fact one of you may be able to help me. A while ago I looked through the site and was interested in Death Note, plus another. Stupidly I didn't note the title... :slaphead: It was the story that intrigued me and I vaguely remember it as something about a couple that are separated when he is sent to prison. Why, I can't remember, or even, if he was framed. While in prison, his girlfriend is killed (by an accident, I think) and on his release he discovers she was keeping a detailed journal or letters. He reads it and it leads him to... erm... something... Oh dear.  :-[   

EDIT: AHA!!! I've found it. Traces of Love. Obviously I was way off on "prison", a bit closer with "accident", and I knew that there was "something" in the way of a twist.

In a complete coincidence it seems to draw comparisons with Il Mare and the description suggests its a time-bending story. How about that then?  :hysterical:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 11:00:12 PM by Najemikon »