Author Topic: Young Sherlock Holmes  (Read 2481 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Young Sherlock Holmes
« on: June 21, 2010, 07:03:31 AM »
Young Sherlock Holmes

What would have happened if Sherlock Homes and Dr. Watson had met as schoolboys? Why, the solution is elementary – nothing but adventure! And that's just what director Barry Levinson (Diner, Rain Man, Bandits) gives us in this special-effects spectacular that sends the super-sleuth on his very first case!

When a plague of bizarre, puzzling murders grip London, young Holmes and his new found friend Watson find themselves unwittingly entangled in the dark mystery. So, "the game is afoot!" And the budding detective is off on an adventure to solve the most amazing case of his most extraordinary career!

My Thoughts

I'm not sure when I first heard about this movie, though I think the first time I really got interested was after it was mentioned in an episode of Big Bang Theory.  Then I found out when watching A Pixar Story that Pixar did effects for the movie, and that got me even more interested in seeing it.  So when I spotted the DVD at Wal-Mart for only $5, I grabbed it.  I'm really glad I got it.

I have been watching more Sherlock Holmes movies in the last few months and I really like the character.  I really liked this variation, showing how Sherlock and Watson might have been when they were younger.  I know it doesn't fit in with the stories, but that's ok for me.  It is a very entertaining, fun movie and I think the way the characters of Sherlock and Watson act remain true to the essence of the characters.  One thing even seems to be a bit of a possible explanation for why Sherlock doesn't get married later in life.  The mystery is decent and while it isn't that difficult to figure out, there are still one or two surprises and some suspense at times.  The former professor character is very interesting.  He is a bit eccentric and has all sorts of experiments going on..something that Sherlock does later in life. 

Pixar geek that I am, I got extremely excited when I saw Pixar and Lasseter in the credits for the special effects. 

I really enjoyed this one.  It is a fun, entertaining movie that is definitely worth watching.

I did post a review on Epinions a few days ago if anyone would like to take a look at that.

Young Sherlock Holmes

Critter

Re: Young Sherlock Holmes
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 02:16:35 AM »
This is the film with the stain glass window coming to life right? And all that other crazy crap that happened. If so then this scared the crap out of me when I watched it as a child. I really should rewatch it sometime, see if I still find any of it at all scary.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Young Sherlock Holmes
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 02:24:35 AM »
Yes it is.  The stained glass window coming to life is what was done by Pixar.

I didn't think it was scary..though I can see why it would have been for a child.