Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs  (Read 17101 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 01:51:51 PM »

Title: White Zombie
Year: 1932
Director: Victor Halperin (1895)
Rating: NR
Length: 67 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Bela Lugosi
Madge Bellamy
Joseph Cawthorn
Robert Frazer
John Harron
Brandon Hurst

Plot:
The Halperin Brothers made White Zombie in just 11 days back in 1932, with $50,000 (Bela Lugosi got less than $1,000 to play zombie master Murder Legendre) and sets left standing from Universal's Dracula and Frankenstein. Keeping dialogue to a minimum, they wisely let cameraman Arthur Martinelli cut loose on this odd fairy tale, avoiding the stagy, static fell that pervades most early Talkies. White Zombie doesn't tell us a story when it can show us one.

One of the most visually interesting horror films ever made, White Zombie has been slighted by videotapes made from scratched, faded 6mm prints. Two 35mm prints were used for this DVD, making as clean and crisp a White Zombie as you'll ever see.

Extras:
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Interviews

My Thoughts:
This is actually the second time I seen this movie. But the first time on this DVD. I watched it a couple years ago and wasn't impressed with it at all at the time. I believed mostly due to the terrible quality of that particular disc. So a friend gave me this release of the movie saying it would be much better quality and to give it another try.

The quality of this disc is much better. Not quite as good as some of the movies of it's time that I have seen... but much better then the first release I seen. And it did make a difference. While I still wouldn't call this one a favorite film.. I did enjoy it quite a bit. The story is so much better when you can actually see what is going on... and there is no buzzing sound in the audio. I still found some parts of this one a little slow for my taste... but over all definitely worth watching.

I glanced at a couple of the extras on this disc. Unfortunately they didn't look as good as the movie did. I looked at a short sample of the interview with Bela Lugosi before I watched the movie. While the audio and video of this interview isn't as good as the movie... I would like to finish watching it. If you want to check out this movie... from what I understand this is the version you want to look for. As it has the best quality of the movie available.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

NOTE: The last time I watched this movie I rated it at 1.5 stars.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 04:14:14 PM »

Title: The Brave One
Year: 2007
Director: Neil Jordan
Rating: R
Length: 122 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Jodie Foster
Terrence Howard
Nicky Katt
Naveen Andrews
Mary Steenburgen
Ene Oloja

Plot:
"Why don't they stop me?" Erica Bain wonders. Bain, a popular New York radio host, watched her fiancé die and nearly lost her own life to a vicious, random attack. Now she discovers a stranger within herself, an armed wanderer in the urban night, out for vengeance and at war with her own soul. Two-time Academy Award® winner* Jodie Foster as Erica joins Oscar® nominee* Terrence Howard as a determined cop hot on her trail. Erica's future is uncertain but one thing is not: The Brave One is a high-tension thriller that packs a visceral and emotional punch.

*Foster – Best Actress for The Accused (1988) and The Silence of the Lambs (1991). Howard – Best Actor for Hustle & Flow (2005).

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one I first saw on On-Demand. I enjoyed it so much at the time that I knew it wouldn't be long for me to get the DVD. The Brave One is one of the best revenge/vigilante movies I have seen in quite a while. Jodie Foster does a wonderful job in this movie. While it is very enjoyable... it is not perfect. There is some slow parts throughout the movie. And I have caught myself more then once looking at the clock. But I think these moments are important to the story as well. Other then Jodie Foster... this movie has Mary Steenburgen who I watched all the time on Joan of Arcadia... where she played Joan's mother. The Brave One is definitely worth giving a chance. Though I do wish they would have given this one a better DVD Release. There really is very little when it comes to extras for this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 06:33:03 PM »

Title: Cave Girl
Year: 1985
Director: David Oliver
Rating: R
Length: 81 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Daniel Roebuck
Cindy Ann Thompson
Darren Young
Saba Moore
Jeff Chayette
Charles Mitchell

Plot:
In search of the "perfect" woman, a bumbling anthropology student accidently travels back in time, 25,000 years, and meets his dream woman...a beautiful cavegirl. But she quickly makes it clear he must use all of his modern day wiles if he is to win her love.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Next I felt like something fun and silly... so thought what better then an old '80s comedy?  This movie I got in a cheap boxset... Too Cool For School Collection. It is one I never seen before... and one I really wasn't expecting much of anything from. And basically what I got is a movie that had a few chuckle... a bit of T&A... and just some silly and fun times. Just something you can sit back and watch... not having to think much about.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 02:52:56 PM »

Title: BloodRayne: Unrated Director's Cut
Year: 2005
Director: Uwe Boll
Rating: Unrated
Length: 99 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Kristanna Loken
Michael Madsen
Matt Davis
Will Sanderson
Geraldine Chaplin
Udo Kier

Plot:
BloodRayne delivers non-stop action and incredible special effects. Kristanna Loken (Terminator 3) stars as a sexy killing machine determined to use her supernatural fighting skills to combat her father and his menacing vampire army. Features an incredible all-star cast including Ben Kingsley (Sexy Beast), Michelle Rodriguez (The Fast and the Furious), Billy Zane (Titanic), Michael Madsen (Kill Bill), and Meat Loaf Aday. From director Uwe Boll.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Interviews
BloodRayne 2 PC-DVD Game

My Thoughts:
Just finished watching this one for the first time... and I must say I am still not sure what I think of it. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing when it comes to watching this movie... but I am not familiar with the BloodRayne video games at all. Over all I didn't like the movie much at all. I just couldn't care about the storyline or characters much at all. And that is of course, as we all know,  a bad thing when it comes to watching a movie. On the other hand there was a couple of things I did like about it. The action was pretty cool. And being familiar with some of the cast from TV Series it was pretty fun Seeing them in a movie role. I liked Kristanna Loken... who I know from Painkiller Jane... she looked good with red hair. I just wish she had an all around better movie to work with. I would say over all this movie was a bit of a disappointment... though I was expecting worse considering all I heard about this movie online. But then that could have something to do with it involving vampires... and I do love anything with vampires in it. So me giving a vampire movie such a low score should tell you something as well. :P

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 04:38:27 PM »

Title: War of the Robots
Year: 1978
Director: Al Bradly
Rating: PG-13
Length: 100 Min.

Stars:
Antonio Sabato
Yanti Sommer
Melissa Long
Patricia Gore
James R. Stuart
Robert Barnes

Plot:
Representatives of an alien civilization on the brink of extinction arrive on Earth and kidnap two top research geneticists in the hopes they can find them a cure to their problem. Looking to stop a potential alien invasion and rescue the scientists, a group of soldiers is sent on a mission that could decide the fate of two civilizations.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Wow... where to begin? This one is so bad I was worried I wouldn't be able to watch the whole thing before giving up on it. When I review a movie I do want to at least finish it to give it a fair review.  But this movie was just plain painful to watch. You could easily tell this is low budget. It felt like it... and not in a good way. I do believe low budget don't mean bad movie... but this one needed some help. The storyline while a fair idea... I just couldn't get to care about it. The acting was just terrible. I am the type of person that can usually find something good about a movie... but I am stressed trying to find anything about this movie that is any good. I really can't say there is anything about this movie that I like. Don't waste your time!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
NONE
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 04:52:19 PM »
Ahhh but you liked the cover!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 04:53:34 PM »
Yeah... and I had to steal that from Jimmy!  :laugh:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 05:30:37 PM »
I told you it was the worst in the 2 choice I gave you in your last unwatched marathon :whistle:

Hard to believe it was made in 78... it looks so cheap :laugh:
It was hard for me also to watch it completly when I watched it the first time (and of course the last one), it feel so long (way longer than 1h40).

I think I owe you one again :fingerchew:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2010, 05:34:06 PM »
 :laugh: I think you owe me two for that one!  :tease:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 07:23:07 PM »

Title: One Frightened Night
Year: 1935
Director: Christy Cabanne
Rating: NR
Length: 65 Min.

Stars:
Charley Grapewin
Mary Carlisle
Arthur Hohl
Wally Ford
Lucian Littlefield
Regis Toomey

Plot:
An aging eccentric millionaire gathers his heirs and informs them that he intends to give his fortune to his granddaughter, if she appears before midnight, otherwise the five of them will split the estate. Two women arrive claiming to be the long-lost granddaughter, which upsets all of the other relatives. When one of the women ends up dead, suspicion falls upon everyone who potentially would benefit form the elimination of the other heirs.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is another one of the movies from the Horror Classics: 100 Movie Pack boxset. Though much like War of the Robots I have no idea why it is in this boxset as it is in no way horror. In this case it is a decent murder mystery. Not the best I ever seen... but worth the time put in to watch it. This one has a bumbling police detective for a little comic relief. Well not only him... the main character of the old man gave me a few chuckles as well. Unfortunately the print on this one leaves a bit to be desired. It is watchable... but it is far from pristine. I would probably buy a good print of this one if I could get it cheap enough.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 07:29:54 PM »
Hey Pete - Which are you going to re-watch first...War of the Robots or The Sorority :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 07:34:34 PM »
Well... I already watched The Sorority twice!  :stars:

... but neither if I can help it!  :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2010, 06:41:43 AM »
Did War of the Robots so crappy that it kills your weekend marathon :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 06:57:16 AM »
I was just wondering that too.   :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2010, 10:37:38 AM »
 :laugh: Nah... I will be back at the marathon today. I have been averaging only 2 to 3 movies per day in my marathons for quite a while now.

Besides... today is Father's Day. So I may have some new ones to add to the marathon. :D
Pete