Author Topic: Xena: Warrior Princess Marathon  (Read 11199 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Xena: Warrior Princess Marathon
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 06:02:57 PM »
Season 2: Disc 4

13. The Quest (Part 2)
Xena's spirit puts into action a plan that may allow her to return to the land of the living and reclaim her body. And Gabrielle is faced with a big decision after meeting up with her old friends - the Amazons.

My Thoughts:
Very cool... a great conclusion to the previous episode. It was pretty cool to see Iolus from Hercules at the beginning of this episode. It was even better seeing all the amazons in leather bikinis! And yes... it is another episode I never seen before.

My Rating:

14. A Necessary Evil
In order to stop the evil Velasca from hunting down Gabrielle, Xena must unleash an even more depraved immortal to vanquish her - Callisto.

My Thoughts:
Wow... another one I never seen before. I am flipping out on this... I didn't think there was many at all that I didn't see. This episode seems to be a part 3 to the last 2 episodes even though it is not listed as such. It was pretty cool to see Callisto again.

My Rating:

15. A Day in the Life
Xena has 24 hours to prevent a warlord from plundering one village, and the world's biggest giant from destroying another. All in a day's work.

My Thoughts:
Well... now back to one I have actually seen before. This episode... while pretty silly... was enjoyable. I got a kick out of how Xena and Gabrielle was getting on each others nerves in this one. And I had to laugh when Gabrielle traded Xena's whip for a frying pan.

My Rating:

16. For Him the Bell Tolls
While engaged in a battle of wills with her son, Cupid, Aphrodite turns Joxer into a dashing hero tasked with stealing a princess's heart away from her betrothed.

My Thoughts:
Being an episode with Joxer in it.... that right there tells you there will be some silliness to the episode. But they did it well. If there is one thing that bothers me about this episode... that would be the fact that Xena is hardly in the episode at all. Just a quick scene in the beginning and a quick scene in the end. But all the same... I still enjoyed it.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 05:53:26 PM »
Season 2: Disc 5

17. The Execution
Gabrielle is torn between her hero Meleager, who's accused of a murder she's certain he didn't commit, and Xena, who's not so sure.

My Thoughts:
While a good episode... it is not quite as good as most the other episodes. I thought maybe this was another one I never seen before... but there was a few scenes that seemed familiar to me. So I am pretty sure I had.

My Rating:

18. Blind Faith
A warrior wants to make his name by killing Xena. He fails, but he succeeds in putting the warrior princess in a blind rage when he kidnaps Gabrielle and sells her to agents of a king - who, it seems, needs a queen.

My Thoughts:
And I just found another episode I never seen before. It is starting to seem like I missed a lot of the best episodes... as I loved this one! Gabrielle being kidnapped, Xena blind and loads of action!

My Rating:

19. Ulysses
Xena and Gabrielle have a Poseidon adventure when they help king Ulysses regain his island kingdom from the nasty god of the sea's pirate henchmen.

My Thoughts:
It is a good episode. It definitely had it's moments... but there was a few parts that I found a bit on the silly side. I did like the Ulysses bow thing.

My Rating:

20. The Price
Xena reverts to her old ways to whip a dispirited Athenian army into shape to take on a foe known as the Horde. But her ruthlessness appalls Gabrielle.

My Thoughts:
My first thought with this episode is ok... since when did Xena start using a fishing pole? This is the first time I ever seen it. I got to admit... I just didn't care too much for this episode. I mean it had it's moment or so... but I don't care too much for the ones where Xena starts to slip back into her old ways.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 07:30:05 PM »
Season 2: Disc 6

21. Lost Mariner
After a shipwreck, Gabrielle finds herself aboard the cursed vessel of the lost mariner Cycrops. Soon, she and Xena are confronted by pirates and the nasty god Poseidon.

My Thoughts:
I like this one... good story with the cursed ship. And I like seeing Tony Todd in an episode. Someone I know from several horror movies. I had to laugh when Xena showed Gabrielle the pressure point in her wrist to stop sea sickness... and Gabrielle just about beats her wrist all to hell when someone tried to give her some squid to eat.

My Rating:

22. Comedy of Eros
Draco is threatening to sell some temple maidens into slavery and Xena is trying to stop him. Trouble is, she's also falling in love with him. Meanwhile (and just as strange), Gabrielle is falling for Joxer.

My Thoughts:
Not a bad episode... but not really good either. They (obviously) tried for a comedy... but I personally just didn't find it that funny. Silly to a point. But there was nothing here that actually made me laugh.

My Rating:

Over-all this is a good season. Though I do think the first season was a little better.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 03:47:13 PM »
Xena: Warrior Princess: Season 3 Disc 1

1. The Furies
At Ares's request, Xena is judged by the Furies for not avenging the murder of her father and is punished by persecution and madness, leaving Gabrielle to try and solve the problem and reverse Xena's insanity.

My Thoughts:
While a good episode. It is not a favorite. I just didn't care for the way they made Xena while crazy. Basically the comedy part didn't work for me.

My Rating:

2. Been There, Done That
The day goes from bad to worse when Joxer is killed, but when the day begins again...and again...Xena realizes she's the only one who knows what's happening and remembers the previous days, she has a second chance to change things.

My Thoughts:
This is actually one I don't remember seeing before. But of course I seen the storyline more then once in other shows and movies. I thought it was a right good one though... definitely enjoyed it.

My Rating:

3. The Dirty Half Dozen
Xena, Gabrielle and four warriors go up against Ares and his new army who possess armor and weapons forged by the god, Hephaestus, which cannot be harmed by any mortal weapons.

My Thoughts:
This is one I really didn't care for too much. Not really sure why. But it just didn't keep my interest nearly as much as most the epsiodes. The whole episode just seemed weak and tired to me.

My Rating:
Pete

Critter

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »
 :clap:
I am glad to see you have come back to this marathon! I enjoyed reading your reviews of it and am looking foward to the rest of the seasons.  :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 06:16:47 PM »
Yeah... thought it was time to continue it. I started disc 2... but not sure if I will finish it today or not. It is one I am just doing some of it here and there as the mood hits.

Not to mention this series being from my mother's collection... it is still a little sad watching it.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 09:48:58 PM »
Xena: Warrior Princess: Season 3 Disc 2

4. The Deliverer
When Xena travels to Brittania to help stop Caesar's invasion, Gabrielle is tricked into losing her blood innocence, by taking the life of an innocent, which binds her to the evil "one god" Dahuk.

My Thoughts:
This is an interesting episode. I can't say I really liked it a lot. But at the same time it is the start to so much that is so interesting that I didn't dislike it either. I did like the way they did "The Deliverer" once he became possessed or changed or whatever.

My Rating:

5. Gabrielle's Hope
In Brittania, Gabrielle becomes pregnant and rapidly gives birth to a baby girl she names Hope. Xena is unsure of what to do because the child is the offspring of the evil god Dahuk and she cannot decide between killing the child or protecting her.

My Thoughts:
This one I liked. The story is really getting interesting by this time. From here it drops this storyline for a bit (unfortunately as I enjoying it). But I am looking forward to it's return.

My Rating:

6. The Debt (Part 1)
When Xena is summoned to the distant kingdom of Chin to kill the Green Dragon, a task she left undone years before, she tells Gabrielle about her past in Chin in an attempt to justify why she must commit murder.

My Thoughts:
I can't really put my finger on why... but I never cared too much for this 2 part episode. While the background on Xena was pretty cool... the main storyline I just didn't find that interesting.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 02:22:19 PM »
Xena: Warrior Princess: Season 3: Disc 3

7. The Debt (Part 2)
After Gabrielle's betrayal of Xena's murderous intentions, Xena is imprisoned by the Green Dragon and sentenced to die, and she reminisces about Lao Mao's teachings and the debt owed to her.

My Thoughts:
Like part 1 not really terrible... but not one I cared for much. It really s right slow for the most part. And I just had a hard time keeping my interest in it.

My Rating:

8. The King of Assassins
It's double trouble when Gabrielle, Autolycus and Joxer plot to stop Joxer's lookalike brother, Jett, a deadly assassin, from killing his next target - Queen Cleopatra.

My Thoughts:
This one is much more entertaining for me. Not only do we have Ted Raimi in a duel role... but also have Bruce Campbell in this one. And if that is not enough we have Gina Torres (Firefly) playing Cleopatra. Unfortunately the one thing that was missing... at least for most the episdoe... was Xena herself.

My Rating:

9. Warrior... Priestess... Tramp
When Xena and Gabrielle meet yet another Xena-lookalike, a virgin priestess named Leah, they have to figure out who's plotting against Leah and keep Meg and Joxer safe at the same time.

My Thoughts:
Well they made up for the last episode. In this one not only is Lucy Lawless in the entire episode... she is playing 3 parts as they find yet another Xena look-a-like. It is a fun episode... and one that I didn't really remember much from so I mustn't have seen it that often when I watched this show on TV.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 11:27:43 PM »
Xena: Warrior Princess: Season 3: Disc 4

10. The Quill is Mightier
Jealous of Xena's legendary deeds, Aphrodite puts a spell on Gabrielle's scroll, causing everything written on it to magically become real.

My Thoughts:
This episode is silly... but not overly silly where it takes the fun away. In  my opinion the silliness was just right for this one. There was several laughs in this one. I have to say I think my favorite part of this episode is when Joxer got ahold of the scroll... and we had 3 naked Gabrielles running around. Gabrielle has always been my favorite character anyway!

My Rating:

11. Maternal Instincts
Maternial instincts are in the air when Gabrielle encounters her evil daughter Hope, who has freed Callisto in order to kill Xena's son, Solan and plans on severing the friendship of Xena and Gabrielle forever.

My Thoughts:
Wow! I forgot how excellent of an episode this one is. I really enjoyed every second of it. It is a very powerful episode.

My Rating:

12. The Bitter Suite
After trying to kill one another, grief-stricken Xena and Gabrielle awake in a strange land called Illusia, filled with familiar faces, where they must face the pain and anger caused by the deaths of their children and forgive one another in order to live.

My Thoughts:
Going from such excellence to pure crap like this is such a disappointment. I don't remember seeing this one before... but I imagine I blocked it from my memory... because I do remember the great opening scene where Xena is dragging Gabrielle  behind her horse. But then it turns to pure torture right after that. Well I guess the one good thing about watching this episode is now it is over with... hopefully there isn't another musical episode of Xena yet to come!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2010, 02:06:17 AM »
Xena: Warrior Princess: Season 3: Disc 5

13. One Against An Army
Xena, alone, must battle the ruthless Persian army and stop them from plundering Greece, as well as save a poisoned Gabrielle who is slowly dying.

My Thoughts:
This is another episode I really enjoyed. This one is a pure action pack episode. I liked the storyline this one has as well. Very good episode all around.

My Rating:

14. Forgiven
A brash teen tries to convince Xena that she would make a better partner than Gabrielle, by leading the duo to the stolen Urn of Apollo.

My Thoughts:
Another episode I really enjoyed. It was a lot of fun..., I especially liked the fighting between Gabrielle and Tara. Throughout the episode I was thinking how I liked this Tara character... and wondered who the actress was and if I had anything else with her. It turns out that it is Shiri Appleby (Roswell) I didn't recognize her the way they had her made up... plus she looked much younger then the Roswell days... even though Roswell was the very next year.

My Rating:

15. King Con
When Joxer is beaten to near-death, Xena teams up with two con artists to avenge Joxer, with a major con scam against a ruthless gaming house owner and his son.

My Thoughts:
This one is ok... really just an average episode. The storyline just didn't impress me as much as it should have. As the idea sounds interesting. Maybe I was expecting a little too much from it... I don't know.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 12:08:05 AM »
Xena: Warrior Princess: Season 3: Disc 6

16. When In Rome...
It's all about power, when Xena must deal with Caesar and the politics of Rome by trading a Roman aristocrat for the leader of the Gauls, whom Xena wants freed but first she must try not to kill the hated Caesar.

My Thoughts:
This one is ok... kinda average. For some reason the ones with Caesar never really impressed me much.

My Rating:

17. Forget Me Not
Tortured by her memories of Hope and past misdeeds, Gabrielle visits the temple of Mnemosyne, goddess of memory, and must travel through her past in an effort to live with her memories or erase them forever. Meanwhile, Joxer must protect Gabrielle's body while her mind is away.

My Thoughts:
This is a Clip Show. These are pretty good when you watch a series as it airs... but when you are doing a marathon viewing on DVD they tend to get a bit boring as you seen these episodes not that long ago. Other then the clips Xena only has one short new scene.

My Rating:

18. Fins, Femmes and Gems
While trying to recover the North Star that Aphrodite has stolen, Xena becomes obsessed with fish, Gabrielle with her own reflection and Joxer with being an apeman, all thanks to Aphrodite's distracting obsession spells.

My Thoughts:
This is a very silly episode. A little too silly for my taste personally... but at least it looks like they had fun making it.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 12:18:27 PM »
Xena: Warrior Princess: Season 3: Disc 7

19. Tsunami
Xena must board a ship carrying prisoners when Gabrielle, in the belief she's freeing a captured Autolycus, does the same, but they're all wet when a tsunami strikes.

My Thoughts:
This is an excellent episode. I know they did this episode off of The Poseidon Adventure (which is another movie I need to see one of these days). And it was good to see Bruce Campbell in another episode.

My Rating:

20. Vanishing Act
Xena and Gabrielle team up with Autolycus to recover a statue that is a symbol of peace between two villages, but they must steal it back Autolycus's way in order for him to maintain his reputation.

My Thoughts:
This is a silly but good episode. And once again we have Bruce Campbell in an episode. It was kinda fun seeing Xena and Gabrielle in disguises along with Autolycus.

My Rating:

21. Sacrifice (Part 1)
Xena and Gabrielle must stop Gabrielle's friend, Seraphin, from sacrificing herself to bring back a goddess, but they also have to contend with Ares and Callisto, who are helping Hope be reborn.

My Thoughts:
This is an excellent episode continuing the Hope storyline. Some pretty cool fights between Xena and Callisto as usual. I also liked how when Hope was reborn she looked exactly like Gabrielle.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 01:42:27 PM »
Xena: Warrior Princess: Season 3: Disc 8

22. Sacrifice (Part 2)
When Gabrielle's evil daughter, Hope, takes the form of her mother and joins forces with Ares to create a race of superbeings, Xena and Gabrielle must stop her reign of terror.

My Thoughts:
What a fantastic ending to the season. Even though I know I seen this one before... I completely forgot how it ended. An ending like this makes me want to go straight into season 4.

My Rating:

OVer-All Season 3 Thoughts:
Over-all this season is filled with ups and downs. There is a lot of good episodes here. But at the same time there is a few stinkers as well. But I really liked the main storyline with Hope. After watching all the epsidoes I watched the blooper reel on the final disc. And I must say there was some good stuff in it. I especially liked where a crew member scared Lucy Lawless by hiding under a blanket she was supposed to pull away to reveal pillows. They definitely got her good.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 05:42:57 PM »
Xena: Season 4: Disc 1

1. Adventures in the Sin Trade (Part 1)
After Gabrielle sacrificed herself to stop Hope, a grief-stricken Xena must travel to the Amazon Land of the Dead to find Gabrielle, and Xena revisits her past with the shamoness Alti, along the way.

My Thoughts:
This is an interesting... but strange episode. It is another episode that shows a lot about Xena's past. Gabrielle is only seen in flashbacks of this episode. I don't remember... hoping she will be back by next episode.

My Rating:

2. Adventures in the Sin Trade (Part 2)
At the Amazon Place of Rest, Xena must battle the evil shamoness Alti and free the spirits of the dead Amazons from her past, before she can continue on to find Gabrielle.

My Thoughts:
More of the strange but interesting in this one. I just realized this two part episode has Victoria Pratt. I always liked her. I seen her in a couple other shows... Mutant X and Cleopatra 2525. So it was pretty cool to see her in a couple episodes here.

My Rating:

3. A Family Affair
When Xena and Joxer travel to Potidaea, they find Hope posing as Gabrielle and they must stop her and her monstrous offspring from destroying the world, and along the way Xena recovers the real Gabrielle.

My Thoughts:
This is a good one. We finally see plenty of Renee O'Connor... as both Hope and Gabrielle. And I really liked how they did the Destroyer creature.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 11:31:29 PM »
Xena: Season 4: Disc 2

4. In Sickness and in Hell
Xena and Gabrielle, plagued by a myriad of ailments, try to help Joxer defend a Scythian army, while trying not to kill one another.

My Thoughts:
This is a pretty good... fun episode. I had to laugh at them givig the lice little voices and screams.  Sure... it is silly but I couldn't help myself. They made Gabrielle's skin condition pretty disgusting. But over all I enjoyed it.

My Ratings:

5. A Good Day
Teaming with Greek Soldiers, Xena plots against Caesar and Pompey, whose war between one another has spilled over from Rome to Greece, and Xena plans to send them both back to where they came from.

My Thoughts:
I normally don't care for the episodes with Caesar... but this one is so action packed I enjoyed it quite a bit.

My Rating:

6. A Tale of Two Muses
Xena and Gabrielle help their friend Tara, to change an oppressed town where dancing is outlawed, and they include Autolycus in their plans to cut footloose and fancy free.

My Thoughts:
Not a very good episode in my opinion. Since the main topic of this episode is dancing there is a little too much music in it for my taste. But it did have a few good laughs so it wasn't all bad.

My Rating:
Pete