Author Topic: Heartless (2009) UK Blu-ray  (Read 3376 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Heartless (2009) UK Blu-ray
« on: May 30, 2010, 12:49:56 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Heartless
Year: 2009
Director: Philip Ridley
Rating: 18
Length: 109 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Commentary: PCM: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Jim Sturgess
Luke Treadaway
Clémence Poésy
Justin Salinger
Fraser Ayres

Plot:
This gritty faustian tale set in the East End of London follows Jamie, a troubled young man with a birthmark on his face, which has left him feeling isolated and fearful, hiding from the world outside. He lives in the East End of London, an area notorious for its violent hooded gangs. According to news reports, the gangs are now wearing demon masks. But, one night, Jamie discovers the terrifying truth: the gangs are not wearing masks. They are real demons. And when Jamie's mother is killed by them in a brutal attack, he realises he can no longer hide away. Jamie vows vengeance and turns vigilante. But the world outside is more of a nightmare than he ever imagined. From acclaimed director Philip Ridley and starring an impressive British cast including Eddie Marsan, Timothy Spall, Noel Clarke and Jim Sturgess.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Gallery
Music Videos

My Thoughts:

Watched on 29th May 2010

First of this is presented in 1080i, BDInfo shows 1080i/25fps, not that it says anywhere on the cover that it's 1080p but somehow I had got used to films being presented in 1080p. Apart from music BD's I think I have one other film that is 1080i.

As to my thoughts on the film. OK I was confused, I have had another look this morning and I am still confused. This is my first Philip Ridley film and I bought this because the premise looked interesting in the e-tailer reviews and overviews. It does appear, at the beginning, to be a fairly general horror film with the lead character selling his soul to the devil following a major upheaval in his life. But later on it seems to turn into an allegory where the lead is fighting his own demons to find his way forward and eventually accepting his fate.

I may have to watch this again but listening to the director's commentary, I think in all my discs I have only listened to maybe 4 or 5 commentary tracks, to see what he was hoping to show and to see if my view was anywhere near.

At the moment, on the 30th May 2010, I will give this a 2

Dave

edited to correct a typo
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:04:51 PM by dfmorgan »
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Heartless (2009) UK Blu-ray
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 06:33:21 AM »
Thanks for the review. Mark Kermode hadn't really reviewed it when they talked about it in the show, as they had the director there and tact dictates not to do so...

Think I'll give it a pass...

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Heartless (2009) UK Blu-ray
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 12:20:40 PM »
Thanks for the review. Mark Kermode hadn't really reviewed it when they talked about it in the show, as they had the director there and tact dictates not to do so...

Think I'll give it a pass...

No problemo Achim. I'll update this when I get to rewatch it with the commentary but it may not be any time soon. Hopefully some others may watch the film and give further reviews.

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.