Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Bizarre Birthdays  (Read 16914 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Bizarre Birthdays
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 04:39:41 PM »

Title: Happy Birthday to Me
Year: 1980
Director: J. Lee Thompson
Rating: R
Length: 111 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English, Japanese, Spanish

Stars:
Melissa Sue Anderson
Glenn Ford
Lawrence Dane
Sharon Acker
Frances Hyland
Tracey E. Bregman

Plot:
Get ready for a taut mystery-shocker that will keep you at your wit's end and at the edge of your seat.

Popular high school senior Virginia Wainwright (Melissa Sue Anderson) survives a freak accident, but suffers from memory loss and traumatic blackouts. As she attempts to resume a normal life, something terrible is happening — her friends are ruthlessly murdered one-by-one. Will she be the next victim or is she the killer? The terrifying truth is finally uncovered at Virginia's 18th birthday party...and you're invited.

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Closed Captioned
Original poster art insert

My Thoughts:
My wife used to drive me nuts always watching Little House on the Prairie before she passed away... so Melissa Sue Anderson is very familiar to me from that.I found this movie to be very good... I really enjoyed it. I have to say... I got a kick out of that bridge game they played towards the beginning of the movie. I think Melissa Sue Anderson did a very good job on this movie. I grew up with '80s horror... and definitely watched quite a bit of it. I would rank this one high on the list of the many movies I remember watching at the time. I found some... if not most of the killings to be really imaginative.

The DVD release could have definitely been better. Especially that cover art! Why they didn't use the movie poster for the cover art I will never understand. And there is actual no extras what so ever on this disc concerning this movie. Not even the theatrical trailer. I would  have loved to seen a few extras here. Some deleted scenes... commentary... pretty much anything that was actually about the movie. But no such luck.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 05:47:44 PM »

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6
Older and Far Away
When Dawn feels that nobody wants to spend time with her, she makes a wish in front of a Vengeance demon (posing as school counselor) that everyone would stay with her. During Buffy's birthday party, Dawn's penchant for shoplifting is discovered while the gang tries to figure out why nobody is able to leave the house.

My Thoughts:
This is the last "Buffy's Birthday" episode of the series. And a very good one at that. I always enjoyed every minute of this episode the several times I have watched it. There is something that seems familiar about the woman that plays the Vengeance Demon... other then here on Buffy. I do know she was on Buffy several times.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 09:33:46 PM »

Title: The Game
Year: 1997
Director: David Fincher
Length: 128 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: Spanish

Stars:
Michael Douglas
Sean Penn
Deborah Kara Unger
James Rebhorn
Peter Donat
Carroll Baker

Plot:
THERE ARE NO RULES IN "THE GAME." And that will make life very difficult for Nicholas Van Orton, a successful businessman who is always in control. Van Orton lives a well-ordered life – until an unexpected birthday gift from his brother destroys it all.

Like it or not, Nicholas has been enrolled in a game – "a profound life experience" that begins quietly but soon erupts in a rush of devastating events. Van Orton has to win this deadly game or lose control of everything in his life.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Production Notes
Closed Captioned
THX

My Thoughts:
I haven't seen this movie since I bought it several years ago. It's definitely one I enjoyed. A movie that keeps you guessing. Though I did find that it does drag a little here and there. I really liked Michael Douglas in this one... but I didn't care much for Sean Penn. That is not a surprise though... as I don't remember ever enjoying him in anything that I saw him in. There is just something about him I don't care for. If you haven't seen this one it is definitely worth checking out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 12:23:04 AM »

Diff'rent Strokes: Season 1
Willis's Birthday
Thinking everyone forgot his birthday, Willis drops several unsubtle hints that seems to go unnoticed. But he gets the surprise of his life when his biggest wish comes true.

My Thoughts:
After the sad news of the passing of Gary Coleman today I felt the need to watch something with him in it. So I found a birthday episode of Diff'rent Strokes. It is a pretty fun episode... though not one of the best of the series. There was a few laughs... but the concern shown about going to Harlem wasn't very believable. It seemed strange coming from them what with how they always seemed to have the right answers from the start in most all episodes.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 12:25:13 AM »
Ah, the part of that episode where the guy comes into the party via the window and the reactions that follow raised a laugh out of me, I have to admit.

addicted2comics(:P)

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 12:28:45 AM »
Wow, didn't get a post in until the second page huh?  :laugh: Cool shows so far

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2010, 12:35:53 AM »
Ah, the part of that episode where the guy comes into the party via the window and the reactions that follow raised a laugh out of me, I have to admit.

Yeah... that part gave me a laugh too. That guy looked familiar too but I couldn't place him. The guy was just credited as Scorpio.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010, 12:36:31 AM »
Wow, didn't get a post in until the second page huh?  :laugh: Cool shows so far

Yeah Britt... that tends to happen to me sometimes.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2010, 11:37:53 AM »

Title: Sabrina: The Teenage Witch
Year: 1995
Director: Tibor Takacs
Rating: PG
Length: 90 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Melissa Joan Hart
Sherry Miller
Charlene Fernetz
Michelle Beaudoin
Ryan Reynolds
Tobias Mehler

Plot:
It's her 16th birthday, and Sabrina (MELISSA JOAN HART) is feeling a little strange. She just transferred to a new school, moved in with her two otherworldly aunts, and nothing is quite what it seems. Things can only get more complicated when Sabrina learns that she's a real witch. Now, she's got to make friends, memorize spells, and find a way to get a date for the school dance. It'll take a little hocus-pocus and a whole lot of adventure before Sabrina learns to control her powers and find true love.

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I felt like something a little more light hearted next. So thought I would watch this TV Movie that originally aired on Showtime... and started the series of the same name. The first thing you notice when watching this movie is that it has different actresses playing the aunts then what the series has. After watching the series for years this was a little on the weird side since there is such differences. The boy that Sabrina likes in this episode is played by a very young Ryan Reynolds. I have become a fan of his since I have seen him in a handful of horror movies. Over-all I enjoyed the movie... was a lot of fun... and it kinda put me in the mood for the series again. No complaints quality wise... looks as good as it did when it first aired. But I do have to complain when it comes to extras... because there was none what so ever!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 11:38:34 AM »
Jimmy... you can just replace the 2 other reviews of this movie with this one. Much more detailed.  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 12:53:12 PM »

Sabrina: The Teenage Witch: Season 1
Pilot
On her 16th birthday, Sabrina Spellman discovers that she's been given the gift of magic when her Aunt Hilda and Aunt Zelda inform her that she is a witch.

My Thoughts:
Well... I did say the movie put me in the mood for the series didn't I? This is more like it. These are the characters I think of when I think of Sabrina: The Teenage Witch. I enjoyed this pilot episode even more then the movie.It just felt like a better start for the series. I mean the movie was good for what it was. But this is much better for a TV Series in my opinion.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 02:29:48 PM »

Title: Bloody Birthday
Year: 1981
Director: Ed Hunt
Length: 85 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Lori Lethin
Melinda Cordell
Julie Brown
Joe Penny
Bert Kramer
K. C. Martel

Plot:
In 1970, three children were born during the height of a total eclipse of Saturn, the planet governing emotion. Ten years later these seemingly innocent children have become heartless killers able to move around under the radar of suspicion because of their youthful facades. What happens when a teenage girl and her younger brother stumble upon the horrible truth?

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Production Notes
Interviews

My Thoughts:
Yes... I just watched this one 5 short months go... but how couldn't I watch it for my birthday? I remember really enjoying this one back in my early teens when it first came out. I can't say it is quite as good as I remember it being. But I definitely enjoyed every minute of it. Of course I do have a soft spot for '80s horror... after all they are the movies I grew up watching.

Sure, evil children has been done to death. Some probably done better then this one. And more times then not it seems to have to do with an eclipse when the children was born. But that don't take away from the fact that this one is good. It has some creative kills (gotta love the arrow through the peephole!) and a good story. I am so glad I finally found this movie again... and the fact that it cost me less then $4.00 is icing on the Bloody Birthday cake. While I really can't complain... I do wish this one had more extras on the disc.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 03:23:39 PM »

The Facts of Life: Season 2
Shoplifting
Jo wants to surprise Mrs. Garrett with a birthday gift to rival Blair's. But the real surprise occurs when Mrs. Garrett goes to exchange it and is arrested for shoplifting.

My Thoughts:
This is a sitcom I always liked. It is one that knew how to get it's laughs but at the same time tackle the serious issues. And they did so without taking any type of cheap shot at the issue they were taking on. It was always done fun but respectfully. While a good episode... this one isn't the best episode I ever seen... but it has a few chuckles for you.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 04:58:26 PM »

Title: Tower of Terror
Year: 1997
Director: D. J. MacHale
Rating: NR
Length: 89 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:

Stars:
Steve Guttenberg
Kirsten Dunst
Nia Peeples
Michael McShane
Amzie Strickland
Melora Hardin

Plot:
Big-screen stars Steve Guttenberg (Three Men And A Little Lady) and Kirsten Dunst (Drop Dead Gorgeous) encounter a host of haunts in this delightfully spooky mystery! Buzzy Crocker (Guttenberg) is a hard-luck photojournalist whose unexpected encounter with an old woman leads him to investigate an unexplained, decades-old disappearance. It seems that one Halloween night, many years ago, five partygoers vanished in the elevator of the Hollywood Tower Hotel...and ever since, their ghosts have remained trapped inside the dilapidated old building! In an action-filled story that delivers creepy fun for everyone, Buzzy ultimately teams with his niece (Dunst) to solve the mystery while managing to save their lives and capture the biggest story of the year!

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I know at first thought what does this have to do with birthday? That is what I thought at first till my daughter reminded me how much it does have to do with birthdays. Not only is there a party mix-up that caused the whole thing... but it is also the old lady's birthday when she wants to return to the hotel many years later. This is a fun little spook-tacular from Disney that is made with the entire family in mind. Brittany and I watched this one together today. And we both enjoyed it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 01:30:47 PM »

The Dick Van Dyke Show: Season 2
A Surprise Surprise is a Surprise
Rob finds out about Laura's plans to surprise him for his birthday.

My Thoughts:
This is an excellent episode of a great classic TV Series. I literally laughed out loud several times through-out this episode. It was hilarious seeing Rob sneaking around figuring out his wife's plans for his birthday... and just as hilarious to see his reaction when he realizes he got surprised by a Surprise Party that he knew was coming. I really loved every minute of it... not only a great birthday episode... but a great episode period.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete