Author Topic: The Pixar Story  (Read 7790 times)

Critter

Re: The Pixar Story
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 03:25:30 AM »
They seem to also be putting a lot more emphasis on sequels now which is something that bothered me at first. I like it bettwer when they just kept dishing out new original films instead of sequel after sequel, like say, DreamWorks would do. I'm still not 100% sure on all the sequels but I will trust that they know what they are doing.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 03:28:16 AM »
They really haven't done that many sequels..just for Toy Story so far.  The only other movie I've heard of them doing a sequel for is Monsters, Inc., so I don't think they are going too far with sequels.  I think they will only do sequels if they feel the story is strong enough.

Critter

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 03:38:02 AM »
They are also doing a sequel for Cars. Which I think is a strange idea as while it was a good film, it is widly known as being one of their weaker ones.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 03:53:07 AM »
I don't remember hearing about the one for Cars.  I really liked that one too.  I'm not sure what a sequel would deal with, but they will probably come up with something good.

Critter

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 03:56:36 AM »
"Lightning McQueen, his pit crew, and new crew chief, Mater, head around the world for the "Race of Champions" taking place in five different countries: Japan, Germany, Italy, a 24-hour race in France, and the United Kingdom. However, Mater, involved in a case of mistaken identity, saves the life of a British secret agent called Finn McMissile and finds himself embroiled in his world of international espionage."

I also found out that three of the original cast members from Cars 1 have died since that film. It will be interesting to see if they just take those characters out or will replace the voice actors. Although after hearing about 3 deaths from the same film I would be a bit scared to join the team almost, sounds a little cursed.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 04:04:26 AM »
I knew Paul Newman died..but he was older.  I don't remember if I heard of any of the others dying or not.

Critter

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 04:05:41 AM »
Yeah Paul Newman was one, also...

Joe Ranft (Red and Peterbilt) was killed in a car accident

George Carlin (Fillmore) died of heart failure

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 04:22:11 AM »
Yeah Paul Newman was one, also...

Joe Ranft (Red and Peterbilt) was killed in a car accident

George Carlin (Fillmore) died of heart failure

I had forgotten they were in the movie.

Najemikon

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 12:48:08 PM »
There's a really nice tribute to Joe on the Up disc. Looks like he was a big part of Pixar.

As to sequels in general, if you think about it, the evidence is all good. The only sequel they've done so far is Toy Story 2 and that was marvellous. A Bug's Life and Cars are considered their weakest efforts, but also are the most sequel friendly, so it'll either be more of the same or an improvement. I heard they're planning a Monsters Inc, but along with The Incredibles, I can see how they can do it, but I'm not sure they'll gain anything. The others aren't sequel friendly at all, so I doubt they'll be touched. Wall-E 2? Nah!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 09:33:05 PM »
The only one I had heard officially about what Monsters, Inc. 2..other than the Toy Story sequels of course. 

I somehow missed the tribute to Joe on Up...have to go look.

Najemikon

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 10:29:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure it was on Up...

Sorry. Just checked. Toy Story 2 blu-ray. :bag:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 11:01:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure it was on Up...

Sorry. Just checked. Toy Story 2 blu-ray. :bag:

Well no wonder I missed it. :p
I'll make sure I check that out once I get to Toy Story 2 on Blu.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 09:18:05 AM »
Watched The Pixar Story last night. :thumbsup: Amazing to get the in-depth story about the struggle to get to the company of the ground and to where it is now.

Only thing I still can't get my head around: they pointed out that Finding Nemo was their fourth film and then like five minutes later the narrator points out that The Incredibles was their sixth success in a row? Had to listen to it three times and still not sure what that was about :stars:

Critter

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 10:39:20 AM »
The Incredibles was their sixth success. So the narrator was right on that part, but Finding Nemo was their fifth film, not fourth so I don't know where they got that from.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 05:06:12 PM »
Maybe the confusion stems fromt he fact, that "Toy Story 2" isn't counted as part of the original five picture deal between Disney and Pixar. Originally "Toy Story 2" was supposed to be a direct-to-video movie.