Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224468 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #210 on: December 13, 2011, 03:22:20 PM »

A Bucket of Blood (1959) R0 United Kingdom

Overview:
When bumbling busboy Walter Paisley (Dick Miller) tries his hand at sculpting he accidentally kills a cat and covers it with clay. It becomes a celebrated work of art and soon Walter has moved on to killing people and is the hit of the local art scene. Director Corman shot this black comedy cult classic in an amazing five days for $50,000 and perfectly satirizes the world of contemporary art.

My Thoughts:
Despite being shot in just five days on a $50k budget, Roger Corman made a very interesting horror mixed with dark comedy when he made A Bucket of Blood. Dick Miller puts in a suitable performance as Walter, a local busboy who starts killing people and covering them with clay, passing them off as pieces of art. Originality is a rarity in cinema, but Corman, ever a forerunner in filmmaking, really came up with the goods here. The end result is quite polished, well edited and well shot, though it isn't a scary horror, opting more for the dark humourous route. It isn't Corman's best, but it is definately worth a look and is better than Herschall Gordon Lewis's similar set-up from 1965, Color Me Blood Red. Recommended. 3.5/5
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:24:28 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #211 on: December 13, 2011, 09:11:24 PM »

Largo Winch: Deadly Revenge (2008) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Nerio Winch, self-made tycoon and head of the mysterious corporate empire known only as W Group, has been brutally murdered. Due to an absence of siblings Nerio's legacy is in danger of falling into the wrong hands. Without a suitable replacement the W Group will be destroyed. But Nerio had a dark past and a deadly secret: an adopted son by the name of Largo Winch. Adventurer, assassin, killer, maverick and international playboy, Largo Winch is the last of a dying breed. Now head of a global corporation he must fight for what's rightfully his and avenge his father's death.
Bullets will fly and heads will roll in this highly explosive, spectacular thriller that gives Bourne and Bond a run for their money. Based upon the highly successful comic book series and novels by Philippe Francq and Jean Van Hamme, Largo Winch: Deadly Revenge takes action cinema to another level.

My Thoughts:
Before going into this movie, I had no knowledge of the Largo Winch character having never read the comics or played the videogames. Turns out, Largo Winch is not only a fun espionage/action movie, but it's also one that puts a bit of time into the character development of Largo, played by French comedian Tomer Sisley. Whilst the story itself, one of murder and corporate espionage, isn't the most original, the film has been made to a high standard with some exciting and well shot set pieces, a good cast (Kristen Scott Thomas excels as villain Ann) and some interesting plot twists. Writing could've been to a higher standard, but overall, this is above average for the genre. Largo Winch is no James Bond, but I'm definately wanting to check out this years sequel with Sharon Stone and see where the character, and the story, goes. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #212 on: December 14, 2011, 12:04:50 AM »

The Wrestler (2008) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Back in the late ’80s, Randy "The Ram" Robinson (Mickey Rourke) was a headlining professional wrestler. Now, twenty years later, he ekes out a living performing for handfuls of diehard wrestling fans in high school gyms and community centers around New Jersey.
Estranged from his daughter (Evan Rachel Wood) and unable to sustain any real relationships, Randy lives for the thrill of the show and the adoration of his fans. However, a heart attack forces him into retirement. As his sense of identity starts to slip away, he begins to evaluate the state of his life - trying to reconnect with his daughter, and striking up a blossoming romance with an ageing stripper (Marisa Tomei). Yet all this cannot compare to the allure of the ring and passion for his art, which threatens to pull Randy “The Ram” back into his old world of sporting glory.
With a career-defining, multi-award winning performance from Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler is a moving and unforgettable masterpiece from acclaimed director Darren Aronofsky.

My Thoughts:
Well, what can I say about Aronofsky's The Wrestler? Once again, he proves he is one of the best directors working today, with this very strong bleak and frank character study of wrestler Randy the Ram Robinson. Mickey Rourke puts in a career defining performance as Randy the Ram, helping his career lift back to where it should be after a few years of relative quietness since Domino. The often overlooked Marisa Tomei is also great as stripper/love interest Cassidy and Evan Rachel Wood also supports the film well as Randy the Ram's daughter Stephanie. If you're after a gripping drama that holds no punches, The Wrestler comes highly recommended from me. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #213 on: December 14, 2011, 04:52:29 PM »

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
He's the best there is. In fact, he's the only one there is! He's Ace Ventura Pet Detective. Jim Carrey (The Mask, Dumb and Dumber, Liar Liar) is on the case to find the Miami Dolphins' missing mascot and quarterback Dan Marino. He goes eyeball to eyeball with a man-eating shark, stakes out the Miami Dolphins and woos and wows the ladies. Whether he's under cover, under fire or underwater, he always gets his man... or beast!

My Thoughts:
Ace Ventura is one of Jim Carrey's early films that chucked him up into the limelight as an 'A' list comedy actor, but unfortunately, whilst this was hilarious when I was in my early teens, it just hasn't stood the test of time. There are still some extremely childish moments that make me chuckle, and Courtney Cox and Sean Young are both very welcome members of the cast, but overall, this has decided to sit in the sea of mediocrity for me. A million times better than the crappy Dumb and Dumber, but not as good as The Mask. Rent it. 3/5
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:57:16 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #214 on: December 14, 2011, 04:56:52 PM »

Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (1995) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Africa's the place and ace is on the case, setting out to rescue an animal he loathes - a bat!
Jim Carrey returns as Ace, the alligator-wrasslin, elephant-calling, monkey-shining, loogie-launching, burning coals-crossing, disguise-mastering pet detective. If you're ready to laugh like a pack of hyenas, if you want more fun than an industrial-sized barrel of monkeys, you know what to do. Heed the call.

My Thoughts:
If you like the first movie, you'll no doubt enjoy this. Like the first, I found this hilarious in my younger years but upon rewatching, it just hasn't stood the test of time. I do find it ever so slightly more enjoyable than the first, and it has a couple more quotable lines, but again, it's your average comedy that isn't worth more than a rental. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #215 on: December 14, 2011, 09:58:11 PM »

Meantime (1983) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Oscar-nominated writer-director Mike Leigh (Secrets and Lies, Abigail's Party) assembled the cream of emerging British acting talent for MEANTIME - a typically sharp and quirky portrait of family relationships.
MEANTIME centres on an East End family, the Pollacks - Mavis, Frank and their sons Mark and Colin - and their experience of unemployment, poverty and life in early 1980s Britain. When Colin comes under the influence of skinhead Coxy and when Mavis's better off sister Barbara offers Colin work, family tensions erupt into conflict.
Mike Leigh's first independent film for five years has a superb cast of rising stars, including GARY OLDMAN, ALFRED MOLINA, TIM ROTH and PHIL DANIELS. First shown on television, it is a memorable and closely observed account of life in Thatcher's Britain.

My Thoughts:
Mike Leigh's bleak and depressing look at a family struggling with high unemployment, poverty and a poor standard of social housing and the tensions caused by them in the early eighties makes for sometimes difficult viewing, and is likely quite a good account of how many families felt during that difficult time (one that is currently repeating with the poor economy). Tim Roth, Alfred Molina, Phil Daniels, Gary Oldman, David Thewlis and Pam Ferris all put in very good performances and use their tones and expressions to give the perfect feel to the film. As should be expected, Leigh delivers an interesting and gritty social commentary on British life in Thatcher's Britain. Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #216 on: December 16, 2011, 11:38:50 PM »

Y tu mamá también (2001) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Julio and Tenoch are typical over-sexed and under-occupied teenagers. During a festive afternoon with their families they meet Luisa, a twenty eight year old Spaniard, and flirt with her with all the style and grace seventeen year old boys are known for.
As a joke, they invite her to accompany them on a road trip to a beach called Boca del Cielo ("Heaven's Mouth"), neglecting to mention that they wouldn't know where to find it, even if it did actually exist. To their astonishment, she accepts.
'Y Tu Mamá También' received outstanding critical acclaim on its release. Hailed as one of 'the' comedies of the year, it's a steamy, sexy and sun-drenched sensation of a movie that's rude, playful and raucously funny.

My Thoughts:
This is the movie that introduced me to director Alfonso Cuarón and to actors Gael García Bernal and Diego Luna and is probably the best film I have seen from Mexico so far, though admittedly the list is rather small. It is beautifully shot and both Bernal and Luna shine as does Maribel Verdú as the stunning Luisa. Some might see this as a nothing more than a road movie with plenty of sex scenes but it is about so much more than that and has many political and social undertones in the dialogue and of course, with the scenes that take place before the road trip. Great cast + intelligent script despite formulaic structure of the story + fantastic direction/editing/music/cinematography = highly recommended. 4.5/5
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 11:41:37 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #217 on: December 17, 2011, 12:34:24 PM »

Cabin Fever (2002) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
There's a killer in the woods ... one you can't hear ... one you can't see ... one you can't escape.
Fresh out of college, Karen, Paul, Marcy and Bert head up to a remote cabin for a weekend of alcohol-drenched sex and sunbathing. When Karen gets sick, they grow paranoid that they have become infected with a flesh-eating virus.
The struggle against the repulsive killer turns into a batttle against friends, as fear drives them to turn on each other in the fight for survival.
Director Eli Roth takes the horror genre back to its roots and reminds us how risky and totally insane horror movies used to be.

My Thoughts:
Despite the fact he is surprisingly well known for a horror director, Eli Roth has actually only filmed three movies, Cabin Fever, Hostel and Hostel 2, none of which have particularly set the cinematic world alight. Still, it seems at least Tarantino is a fan of his style with Roth having directed segments of both Grindhouse and Inglourious Basterds. Cabin Fever was a mediocre debut that suffered from a rather mundane plot but it did have some great special effects which make it overall, worth a viewing. The cast isn't bad for the most part, Rider Strong, Cerina Vincent and Jordan Ladd all put in reasonable showings, but Joey Kern was dreadful as Jeff. There are some good attempts at dark humour thrown in for good measure but the film is standard horror fare and is too cliched to recommend more than a high-end rental. 3/5
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 12:39:52 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #218 on: December 17, 2011, 03:31:53 PM »

Retreat (2011) Region B - United Kingdom

Overview:
Taking an isolated break on an uninhabited island Martin (Cillian Murphy) and Kate (Thandie Newton) are about to find that their island retreat is about to become a stone prison of unimaginable terror. When a blood-soaked stranger (Jamie Bell), stumbles through their door with an apocalyptic story of a virus sweeping across Europe decimating all in its path, their lives are turned upside down as they face the end of everything they know. Using all means necessary, they must fight to escape the approaching threat. But escape is only the beginning of their terrifying fight for survival...

My Thoughts:
If I had to liken Retreat to another movie, I would say it has similarities to Dead Calm in its suspense and setting (not the sea, but a couple vs a 'villain'), mixed with the possibility of a virus outbreak that is decimating the population. What starts off as quite an average thriller really picks up during the final act and has a couple of very nice twists that made watching the build-up worthwhile. Jamie Bell, Thandie Newton and Cillian Murphy gel together really well, and the fact Bell plays the 'bad guy' instead of Murphy surprised me a little, yet it works in the film's favour. This film went kind of unnoticed on release but unfairly so. Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #219 on: December 17, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »

Stake Land (2010) Region B - United Kingdom

Overview:
A young boy (Connor Paolo, Gossip Girl) is about to learn how cruel the world can become. Martin was a normal teenager before the country collapsed in an empty pit of disaster and a vampire epidemic swept across the nation's abandoned towns and cities. It is up to Mister (Nick Damici, Mulberry Street, World Trade Center), a death dealing, rogue vampire hunter, to get Martin to safety. Armed with a trunk full of wooden stakes and a desperate will to stay alive, Mister and Martin make their way through locked down towns, recruiting fellow travelers along the way. Among them are a devout nun (Kelly McGillis, The Accused, Top Gun) and a pregnant teen (Danielle Harris, Halloween, Halloween 2)…

My Thoughts:
I'd heard a little bit of buzz about Stake Land recently which encouraged me to add the movie to my rental queue. Made for just $4m it is certainly quite an accomplished post-apocalyptic vampire movie that has plenty of scares and some good character development. Special effects are nothing outstanding, but still very good and the bleak soundtrack suits the feel of the film very well. The cast are all quite good, and I enjoyed the involvement of Kelly McGillis as the nun, a character which introduced us to the more subdued religious tones of the film (some crazy religious nuts throughout). Whilst nothing new, Stake Land is a well polished horror from Jim Mickle. Genre fans will enjoy it enough to warrant a purchase. 3.5/5
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 10:15:06 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #220 on: December 18, 2011, 01:28:31 AM »

Black Swan (2010) Region B United Kingdom

Overview:
Nina (Portman) is a ballerina in a New York City ballet company whose life, like all those in her profession, is completely consumed with dance. She lives with her obsessive former ballerina mother Erica (Hershey) who exerts a suffocating control over her. When artistic director Thomas Leroy (Cassel) decides to replace prima ballerina Beth MacIntyre (Ryder) for the opening production of their new season, Swan Lake, Nina is his first choice. But Nina has competition: a new dancer, Lily (Kunis), who impresses Leroy as well. Swan Lake requires a dancer who can play both the White Swan with innocence and grace, and the Black Swan, who represents guile and sensuality. Nina fits the White Swan role perfectly but Lily is the personification of the Black Swan. As the two young dancers expand their rivalry into a twisted friendship, Nina begins to get more in touch with her dark side--a recklessness that threatens to destroy her.

My Thoughts:
A lot of praise has been given to this film since it's cinema release, mostly for the performances of Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis. This praise certainly isn't unwarranted but it has unfortunately meant two other great performances, by Barbara Hershey and Vincent Cassel have been pushed aside and not talked about as much. Well, they are just as good as Portman and Kunis in my opinion and deserve a little recognition. The story itself is one where horror sneaks in fantastically well as Nina becomes more and more insane, right through to the excellent climax and Aronofsky's visuals help add to the atmospheric terror and the build-up is perfectly paced. Overall, this film is worth all the praise it received. Highly recommended. 5/5

Najemikon

« Reply #221 on: December 18, 2011, 02:29:37 AM »
Ah, interesting! I was going to comment that I rarely see a 5/5 from you, if ever, and then you pull it out of the bag for this one.  :P I really enjoyed it too. Awesome film. I'd say it isn't as good as The Wrestler, but it's splitting hairs for me. :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 18, 2011, 02:43:18 AM »
I never knew much of this one. Being about the ballet I never gave it any more thought. Didn't realize there was horror elements to it. Wonder if it is something I would like. It must have lots of music in it... so possibly not.
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #223 on: December 18, 2011, 04:18:59 AM »
I never knew much of this one. Being about the ballet I never gave it any more thought. Didn't realize there was horror elements to it. Wonder if it is something I would like. It must have lots of music in it... so possibly not.

I would say you wouln't based on the hatred for music though I would certainly say you should give it a try. Also, it's more a sort of a terror element than horror, though unsure how you feel about that.

Stake Land on the other hand... right up your street!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 04:26:01 AM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #224 on: December 18, 2011, 04:24:54 AM »
Ah, interesting! I was going to comment that I rarely see a 5/5 from you, if ever, and then you pull it out of the bag for this one.  :P I really enjoyed it too. Awesome film. I'd say it isn't as good as The Wrestler, but it's splitting hairs for me. :thumbup:

I do give out quite a few 5/5's. I've been keeping track of my viewing via imdb since 1st January 2009. Every 5/5 I have given since then is here:
http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3142892/ratings (sort by rating... list should be public)

I have give out 68 x 5/5 ratings out of a possible 2402. About 50 of them are for movies. I haven't watched a lot of favourites/classics since Jan 1st 09 though so there are more to be added!