Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010  (Read 315969 times)

hal9g

Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« Reply #255 on: August 01, 2010, 04:02:25 PM »
Strangely, the title under the front cover image says, "It Runs in the Family"?   ???

Yeah, IMDB shows that as being the original title of the movie. Probably the only way to ensure a second viewing of the movie by someone was to change the title.  ???

That's weird, since there is a 2003 movie with the same title which paired Kirk and Michael Douglas for the only time in their careers.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #256 on: August 01, 2010, 04:05:03 PM »
Yeah, I have that movie too. I think I will edit the review above to reflect the title that is actually on the dvd artwork I have here. Same thing happened when I reviewed Burn! and it showed Quelmeda as the original title. I didn't notice it until it had already been filed in the review database.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #257 on: August 02, 2010, 01:56:23 AM »

Title:Love in the Time of Cholera
Year: 2007
Director: Mike Newell
Rating: R
Length: 138 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Benjamin Bratt
Gina Bernard Forbes
Giovonnna Mezzogiorno
Javier Bardem
Marcela Mar

Plot:
In the lush tropics of South America, an innocent desire blossoms into a romance for the ages in this stunning epic starring Academy Award® nominee* Javier Bardem (Before Night Falls, No Country for Old Men). At the turn of the 20th century, youthful romantic Florentino Ariza spots the stunning and sheltered Fermina Daza and immediately falls in love. Denied by her father, Florentino refuses to give up his dream of winning her hand...even if that means waiting decades to fill the passion in his heart.

*2000: Actor, Before Night Falls

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

A sweeping love story that is both touching and pathetic at the same time... a man moons over a woman he can't have for more than 50 years only to finally fulfill his dream when he has one foot already in the grave.

Javier Bardem shows his immense range as an actor with this performance. I find his character's life tremendously humorous as he pledges his undying love for one woman and yet as the years pass he gets more ass than a toilet seat.  :laugh:

Hector Elizondo is great as his uncle and benefactor who mentors and grooms his nephew in business while unwillingly catering to his ridiculous obsession.

Women will love this movie for obvious reasons. Men will like it for the buckets full of irony and the many exposed boobies.  ;)

KC

Rating:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 02, 2010, 02:14:49 AM »
Javier Bardem has a way of picking good scripts. I've yet to see him in something that I didn't like.

You should try and search out Goya's Ghosts, he's great in that too.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #259 on: August 02, 2010, 02:21:01 AM »
I have Goya's Ghosts already. Just haven't watched it yet. One of his I don't have and I'm in search of is The Sea Inside or 'Mar adentro' , it's original title which has received great reviews. I think he's a tremendously talented actor.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 04:25:51 PM by KinkyCyborg »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 02, 2010, 02:35:34 AM »
You definitely need to find Mar adentro, it was my favorite film of that year.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 02, 2010, 03:59:46 AM »
Title:Doomsday

[...]

One of the best action flicks I've seen in a while. Would love to see a sequel to this.  :tv:
There are many complains one can throw at this film (I liked it too, I heard other complain), but for me that car chase at the end makes up for any crap that came before :thumbsup:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #262 on: August 02, 2010, 04:58:15 AM »
Title:Doomsday

[...]

One of the best action flicks I've seen in a while. Would love to see a sequel to this.  :tv:
There are many complains one can throw at this film (I liked it too, I heard other complain), but for me that car chase at the end makes up for any crap that came before :thumbsup:

The car chase scene and the wide range of colorful characters is where I get my Mad Max reference from.... particularly the chase scenes from The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome. No real complaints from me.  ;D

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #263 on: August 02, 2010, 05:01:24 AM »

Title:Bambi
Year: 1942
Director: David D. Hand
Rating: G
Length: 70 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Hardy Albright
Stan Alexander
Bobette Audrey
Peter Behn
Thelma Boardman

Plot:
The forest comes alive with Bambi, the critically acclaimed coming-of-age story that has thrilled and entertained generations of fans. Now digitally restored and remastered with state-of-the-art technology, Bambi sparkles in its first-ever DVD presentation.

This grand adventure is full of humor, heart and the most beloved characters of all time - Bambi, the wide-eyed fawn, his playful pal Thumper, the lovable skunk Flower, and wise Friend Owl.

Experience the wonder with this 2-disc Special Edition including spectacular bonus features and an all-new 5.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix. Everyone will be "twitterpated" by this endearing classic tale of Bambi, one of Walt Disney's greatest triumphs and a film experience you'll never forget.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Production Notes
Interactive Games
Closed Captioned
THX

My Thoughts:

Another one I sat down to watch with my little girl but predictably she fell asleep...even before Bambi's mom got shot which may have been a blessing as I'm not sure how she would have reacted to that.

Truly a Disney classic. I find that the musical scores of the earliest Disney films are masterful. I thought that a 2 Disc Edition of this was kind of unnecessary. Three plus hours of special features? Seems a bit excessive for a 70 minute feature, but the DVD games were fun and I applaud the Enhanced Home Theater Mix which delivered 5.1 Surround audio which was a nice touch to give to an old classic.  :clap:

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #264 on: August 03, 2010, 02:13:12 AM »

Title:The 'Burbs
Year: 1989
Director: Joe Dante
Rating: PG
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Tom Hanks
Bruce Dern
Carrie Fisher
Rick Ducommun
Corey Feldman

Plot:
Tom Hanks portrays suburbanite Ray Peterson, whose plans for a peaceful vacation are disturbed by a creepy new family on the block, in this outrageous suspense-comedy directed by Joe Dante.
To the disappointment of his wife Carol (Carrie Fisher), Ray decides to spend a relaxing week at home, and soon gets into trouble with his neighbors - a hefty busybody (Rick Ducommun), a freaked-out ex-soldier (Bruce Dern), and a spacey teenager (Corey Feldman) - as they observe the strange happenings next door at the Klopek's bizarre residence.
When the neighborhood grouch suddenly disappears, the men are convinced the ramshackle house hides some hideous clues. Armed with assault rifles, high-powered binoculars and a shovel, they decide to see for themselves exactly what is going on in the Klopek place, Set in an average neighborhood that is anything but average, THE 'BURBS blends slapstick comedy and spine-thrilling mystery with the type of witty humor that has made Tom Hanks one of today's most popular stars.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Probably the funniest of the Tom Hanks comedies, or at least on par with Bachelor Party. Knee slapping funny throughout the whole film, the real scene stealer is Bruce Dern. He has some scenes in this film that make you piss yourself laughing. Rick Ducommun and his seemingly rambling improvisations are hilarious too. The Klopek's serving sardines on crackers to their house guests is a riot!  :hysterical: I've seen this movie a half a dozen times now and it's a hoot every time.  :thumbup: :thumbup:

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #265 on: August 05, 2010, 04:23:07 AM »

Title:Paradise Road
Year: 1997
Director: Bruce Beresford
Rating: R
Length: 132 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Glenn Close
Frances McDormand
Pauline Collins
Cate Blanchett
Jennifer Ehle

Plot:
In a time of war, an extraordinary group of women turned a song of hope into a symphony of triumph. From the director of "Driving Miss Daisy" comes a true story of courage, triumph, friendship, and strength starring Glenn Close ("Dangerous Liaisons"), Oscar winner Frances McDormand (1996 Best Actress, "Fargo") and Emmy Award winner Julianna Marguiles (TV's "ER"). This compelling drama reveals the heroic actions of a group of women held prisoner by the Japanese during World War II. These diverse women from different countries, speaking different languages, unite to form a vocal orchestra — creating a lfe affirming symphony of human voices.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

It's been a long week (considering it's only Wednesday!) for me and an even longer day at work today and I came home beat. I was reclining in my chair after dinner, feeling sleepy but I decided to put in this movie and watch a little bit before I would inevitably doze off. Didn't happen.   :tv:

What an excellent movie! I was completely fascinated by this true story about a group of women P.O.W.'s in a Japanese prison camp during WWII. An outstanding cast led by Glenn Close and including Frances McDormand, Julianna Margulies and Cate Blanchett, these remarkable women persevered and kept themselves alive largely through the spirit of song. Many of the women and children died due to the deplorable treatment by their captors who believed women to be inferior but a core group of them beat the odds.

A must watch!  :clap:

KC

Rating:

hal9g

« Reply #266 on: August 05, 2010, 03:08:29 PM »
I saw this quite a while ago, and thought it was excellent!  Who'd have thought Glenn Close could sing like that?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 09:41:29 PM by Hal »

Najemikon

« Reply #267 on: August 06, 2010, 01:14:20 AM »
I love The Burbs, but the funniest I ever thought Tom Hanks was with a bath in The Money Pit! :laugh:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #268 on: August 07, 2010, 03:15:54 AM »
I love The Burbs, but the funniest I ever thought Tom Hanks was with a bath in The Money Pit! :laugh:

I liked The Money Pit too and only just recently acquired the DVD. I had it on VHS a long time ago. The Burbs and Bachelor Party are my favorite Hanks movies. Like 1 and 1a.  :D

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #269 on: August 07, 2010, 03:24:04 AM »

Title:Taken
Year: 2008
Director: Pierre Morel
Rating: NR
Length: 93 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Liam Neeson
Maggie Grace
Leland Orser
Jon Gries
David Warshofsky

Plot:
Prepare to get Taken for the ride of your life! "Liam Neeson is an unstoppable force" (Premier) in this action-packed international thriller that will have you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. When his estranged teenage daughter (Maggie Grace) is kidnapped in Paris, a former spy (Neeson) sets out to find her at any cost. Relying on his special skills, he tracks down the ruthless gang that abducted her and launches a one-man war to bring them to justice and rescue his daughter.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned
Theatrical Version

My Thoughts:

No random pick tonight.... I picked Taken. I've heard from just about everyone who watched this how great it was and I have to agree.

Already a huge Liam Neeson fan to begin with, seeing him in an action film of this magnitude brings his game to a whole new level. He has had many tremendous dramatic roles in his career and yet he flawlessly makes the transition to action star... and a great one. I hope to see more from him. The ruthless edge to his character makes this movie so memorable and a keeper in anyone's collection with unlimited rewatchability. The human trafficking theme has been a popular one on screen these past 5 or so years but most of them have been of the dramatic variety.... good, but not nearly as memorable as Taken.

One of the best movies I've watched this year.  :yahoo:

Rating: