Author Topic: Some Year End Totals...  (Read 45371 times)

Najemikon

Re: Some Year End Totals...
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2009, 12:27:51 AM »
Last year I started to run a spreadsheet alongside Profiler, because despite Profiler being a database at heart, the only dev that's been done on it in recent years is making it pretty and that stupid MoviePick feature, so raw data is still pretty well hidden. Sorry. Tangent much?  :laugh: What I'm trying to say is that for tracking purchasing data, Profiler is and always has been, crap.

I've got enough data in Excel to sink a battleship.

Emma, in some ways it is scary, but one thing I did was set a monthly budget. By tracking it properly I can see how much I've spent against or over that amount and try to pull it back the following month. To put it in perspective, I think this might turn out to be the cheapest year since 2000...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2009, 03:53:23 AM »
Nothing impressive this year for me, but someone had to be reasonable here :laugh:

New movies added : 44
New tv seasons added : 2

Money spend :

$CAN : 377,09
$US : 99,41
English Pound : 28,82

Least Expensive : Date Movie (0,88 $CAN)
Most Expensive : The Russ Meyer Collection (49,05 $CAN)

First : The Alien Legacy (20th Anniversary Edition)
Last : Deep Inside Annie Sprinkle / Maraschino Cherry (received the same day)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 07:11:05 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2009, 02:41:10 AM »
I am very happy to see that I did manage to reduce my purchases drastically. I am more constrained now and hold back a little, not always jumping on stuff on release date, mulling over it for a while to make sure I really want it.

While 2008's total was 193 I am down to 109 for 2009! :yahoo: (I would personally suggest that the lower number mainly attributes to less garbage being added to my collection).

First: The Last Emperor
Last: Watchmen (The Ultimate Cut)
Most Expensive: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Limited Edition Complete Collector's Set) US$86.16
Least Expensive: The Cannonball Run US$4.41

snowcat

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2009, 11:21:56 AM »
Emma, in some ways it is scary, but one thing I did was set a monthly budget. By tracking it properly I can see how much I've spent against or over that amount and try to pull it back the following month. To put it in perspective, I think this might turn out to be the cheapest year since 2000...

Next year Im hoping to budget myself to, I was terrible this year ¬_¬ spent far to much money and I have so many DVDs I have not watched.

:p I think I will have to make my own total list... as scary as it may be

richierich

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2009, 03:10:03 PM »
2009 - dvds purchased or received as gifts - 188
2009 - blurays purchased or received as gifts - 27
(Boxsets count as one)

Total - 215

2009 - dvds sold/gifted/disposed - 633

Final total - 418 in credit  ;D

Lowest amount added since 1999 (185)

Month   Count   Percentage
January   15   7.0%
February   21   9.8%
March   24   11.2%
April   19   8.8%
May   16   7.4%
June   14   6.5%
July   17   7.9%
August   16   7.4%
September   22   10.2%
October   13   6.0%
November   15   7.0%
December   23   10.8%

First title 2009 - Wind Chill
Last title 2009 - District 9

Najemikon

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2009, 01:32:10 AM »
I was doing well this year (didn't get anything at all in June!), but the past three months have just gone nuts. Too many sale prices!  :bag:

I've added 81 new titles this year, 58 were Blu-Rays. 24 of those were "upgrades" (so much for not bothering upgrading to Blu! Again with the... :bag:). 45 in total were blind buys. It's unfortunate that I blew the budget so badly this last couple of months, otherwise I'd have had the cheapest year since 2002 when I had far less new titles as well, so that would have been good considering it was mainly Blu. Ah, well. 2010 will have to be a recovery year!  :whistle:

But how much of an influence has the forum had on your collections this year?

I bought a couple specifically to fill out my Hitchcock's for the marathon and plumped for an upgrade of The Thing because of the horror run. I can also thank Rich and Northbloke for their regular bargain updates as I caught several including Che (parts 1 and 2), although a couple yet to arrive.

I finally bought Downfall, specifically because of new boy Antares' review. I'd always considered it a maybe-if-cheap title, but his review made me get it. As did Goodguy with Madmen and Brick (Brick was an excellent choice, thank you, Matthias. :thumbup:). Possibly the best title of the year for that sort of thing though was Jimmy helping me get Bava's Kidnapped as I hadn't got the second Bava set with it in and it turned out to possibly be his best film. :bow:

I suppose I should thank Achim for his North By Northwest Blu-Ray reviews, but that's what started the expensive months!  :voodoo: Still, it is bloody gorgeous, so I accept he was right.  :laugh:

So who wants to take the blame for Tru Calling? A forum fave, but blimey I'm struggling! It's getting better, but I bet the scripts were written in crayon! Come on... own up... I'll get you for it. :tease:

Other than that, my wishlist has grown because of all of you, so Happy New Year to the friendliest and most expensive film forum on the 'net!  :cheers: Really glad to see the newbies like Critter, Antares and Emma have dived in so much with the reviews. I can see 2010 is going to be even more costly!

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2009, 03:21:31 AM »
Possibly the best title of the year for that sort of thing though was Jimmy helping me get Bava's Kidnapped as I hadn't got the second Bava set with it in and it turned out to possibly be his best film. :bow:
Thanks, but I owe you a lot for the Confession of ... box set sugestion and I'm sure you don't even own this British treasure :whistle:

Personally I haven't bought a lot of movie following the DVDC members recommandation, but I don't think it's a surprise for anyone :laugh:

I've bought all those awfull Jason Friedberg/Aaron Seltzer movies because of the bad review from Pete,
I've bought Dead Set because of Jon and it was great,
I've bought two hit and miss 50 movies boxset for the october marathon,
I've bought Art of the Devil 3 because Achim had found it for me.

Some titles are on my wishlist (one day I will buy The Girlfriend Experience), but there always something released more in my chord to pass it and my budget is very limited.

I've almost get the two Batman movie today since they were 2 for 25$ at Walmart, but they only had the Blu-rays in stock :laugh:

Rogmeister

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2009, 03:25:20 AM »
I have never really kept track of what I buy...well, okay, I used to, but not really since the DVD was introduced.  I'm probably low compared to most.  My DVD buying has pretty much ground to a halt due to money problems.  I think the last TV set I bought was the second season of The Big Bang Theory and I'm not sure what my last movie bought was...maybe The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance?  I may have bought one or two since then but I can't recall.

RossRoy

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2009, 03:35:18 AM »
Wow! My SQL classes are far away (I wanted to use Tom's CCViewer)! I've had to do these data manually (using Excel and formulas). I've shamelessly lifted (and adapted) Matthias' layout. Hope you don't mind! ;)

Statistics for 2009

#

Tot $

Ave $
Movies
TV Seasons
Anime
Total

$ / Date
   Item
Least Expensive   
   Charlie Wilson's War
Most Expensive (Movie) (tie)
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
G.I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra
Coraline
Most Expensive
That 70s Show: Complete Series Stash Box
First (tie)
2009/01/03
Wanted
Horton Hears a Who!
The Dark Knight
Last (non-gifts)
2009/12/24
Supernatural Seasons 1-4

I'm happy. The numbers are way down from previous years. Now I just need to show more patience and let movies go down in price before I get them...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 07:19:40 AM by RossRoy »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2009, 11:16:32 AM »
2009 End Totals:

New Purchase Items: 141 (109 in 2008)
New Movies: 93 (in 82 Purchase Items)
New TV Seasons: 63 (in 59 Purchase Items)
New Blu-ray Movies: 11

Money Spent: 1,869.30€ (1,628.60€ in 2008)
Money Spent on Movies: 706.04€
Money Spent on TV Seasons: 1,163.26€

Avg Spent: 13.26€ (15.66€ in 2008)
Avg Spent on Movies: 8.61€
Avg Spent on TV Seasons: 19.72€

Runtime: 56,852m (39d 11h 32m)
Runtime Movies: 10,049m (6d 23h 29m)
Runtime TV Seasons: 46,803 (32d 12h 3m)

Cheapest Item: Along Came Polly (4.47€)

Most Expensive Item: LOST: Season 4 (38.46€)

First Item: Cloverfield (4.49€)

Last Item: How I Met Your Mother: Season 2 (17.97€)

Purchase by Locality:
0 (United States): 25
3 (Canada): 1
4 (United Kingdom): 78
5 (Germany): 37

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 12:59:53 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2009, 11:18:05 AM »
Wow! My SQL classes are far away (I wanted to use Tom's CCViewer)!

If interested, I could post some of my SQL queries I plan to use to give some ideas.

Najemikon

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2009, 12:41:59 PM »
Possibly the best title of the year for that sort of thing though was Jimmy helping me get Bava's Kidnapped as I hadn't got the second Bava set with it in and it turned out to possibly be his best film. :bow:
Thanks, but I owe you a lot for the Confession of ... box set sugestion and I'm sure you don't even own this British treasure :whistle:

Personally I haven't bought a lot of movie following the DVDC members recommandation, but I don't think it's a surprise for anyone :laugh:

I've bought all those awfull Jason Friedberg/Aaron Seltzer movies because of the bad review from Pete,
I've bought Dead Set because of Jon and it was great,
I've bought two hit and miss 50 movies boxset for the october marathon,
I've bought Art of the Devil 3 because Achim had found it for me.

Some titles are on my wishlist (one day I will buy The Girlfriend Experience), but there always something released more in my chord to pass it and my budget is very limited.

I've almost get the two Batman movie today since they were 2 for 25$ at Walmart, but they only had the Blu-rays in stock :laugh:

Confessions of... used to get shown regularly on telly so I saw enough of them!  ;)  :laugh:

You should have got the Blus... then a player... then your assimilation would be complete!  :devil:  You know you want to.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2009, 05:36:12 PM »

As did Goodguy with Madmen and Brick (Brick was an excellent choice, thank you, Matthias. :thumbup:).

Hm, difficult to say. I definitely blame Eagle Eye and Wicker Man on you (The latter wasn't that bad though). On the positive side: Fargo. Some things worked in an indirect way, instead of Malick's latest, I bought his first two. And North by Northwest prompted me to get Kusturica's opera. How's that?
Matthias

RossRoy

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2009, 07:04:18 PM »
Wow! My SQL classes are far away (I wanted to use Tom's CCViewer)!
If interested, I could post some of my SQL queries I plan to use to give some ideas.

That'd certainly be interesting!

Najemikon

« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2009, 08:00:42 PM »

As did Goodguy with Madmen and Brick (Brick was an excellent choice, thank you, Matthias. :thumbup:).

Hm, difficult to say. I definitely blame Eagle Eye and Wicker Man on you (The latter wasn't that bad though). On the positive side: Fargo. Some things worked in an indirect way, instead of Malick's latest, I bought his first two. And North by Northwest prompted me to get Kusturica's opera. How's that?

:laugh:

I'll take that, but I still deny Eagle Eye was my fault. :whistle: