Author Topic: The Elaine Petrone Method: Stop the Clock (2006) R0 America  (Read 1136 times)

samuelrichardscott

The Film:

Just like regular movies, if something sells well, you just rehash it again. Well, health and fitness DVD's follow the same route. After selling over 400,000 copies of her book "The Miracle Ball Method" in two years and having her first DVD "The Elaine Petrone Method" rank at number one for four weeks in the VideoScan fitness charts, Elaine Petrone is back, this time with a disc aimed at relieving stress and upper body aches by using her 'miracle ball method'. Now then, more than anyone, I'm a sceptic with these health and fitness releases, and don't think these can particularly improve your health as much as getting off your backside and getting down to the gym or joining some sort of sports team. Despite this, I followed all the instructions of this self-help DVD for reviewings sake and to be honest, I don't know what to think. The whole facade is about using a five inch ball that is included with the pack to help release stress and tension in your neck, shoulders and back. Unfortunately, rather than being purely instructional, Elaine kind of sees this as a big promotional push for herself with the first ten minutes of an already short 55 minute feature being full of testimonials from old ladies who obviously haven't got much of a clue. We then move onto something just as worrying. Breathing exercises. Elaine Petrone asks her two subjects (a male named 'Brad' and some woman) to sit on a chair and breathe, hinting at us to do the same. No offense, but what was I going to do? Not breathe? So thats another five minutes wasted. However, after that, it all starts to change a bit and now she has got the self advertisement out the way we move onto using the ball. Again, this is not an exercise DVD, and the basis of the feature is using a ball to balance part of your body to help pain. I don't have any pain that this is supposed to relieve so it is kind of lost on me but I do stress a bit. As I did the bits and pieces that Petrone instructs you do, I did feel a little better and more relaxed, and the ball certainly felt like it helped to alleviate some of this. I do believe these methods can help, but unfortunately there is too much self promotional activity, and not enough help provided on the disc. Shame really.

The DVD:

Video:
Acacia have given us a 4:3 transfer for this feature and as to be expected there is nothing wrong with it mainly due to the fact it was only shot last year. A lot of light colours are used and I imagine this is all part of the ambience they are trying to set to give a more relaxed feel to the surroundings. It could've had a bit more clarity but does it really matter with this type of thing?

Audio:
A lone dolby digital stereo track in English is what Acacia have provided us with here. With no need for a surround track this is fine and certainly adequate. Dialogue is clear at all times and sound levels consistent. There is also no trace of background hiss. Unfortunately, Acacia have overlooked the capability of subtitles for this DVD which means it could miss out on a few sales.

Extras:
Surprisingly, we do actually get a couple of extras. The first is an interview with Elaine Petrone entitled Elaine's Story which essentially gives us the backbone of how this method originally came to light after Petrone noticed minor problems with herself as a young dancer. Other than that we get a 6 page biography for her.

OVERALL:
Recommended to people who have high stress levels and upper body aches, but only if you can sit through the self-appreciating testimonials that sometimes make it seem like a late night TV advert.