Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858585 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #495 on: September 12, 2009, 02:05:15 AM »
I don't see how you could avoid seeing Legally Blonde...every cable channel in America seems to take turns showing it again...and again...and again!  I enjoy the first one but I have never seen the second one...I heard the sequel was painfully bad.

Actually it is very simple... I watch DVDs from morning to night. Then at night I watch the shows I DVR throughout the week. So I seldomly ever watch anything on cable as it airs!  :P
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #496 on: September 12, 2009, 08:21:58 PM »

Title: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Year: 2008
Director: David Fincher
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 166 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40
Audio: English: Dolby Digital TrueHD, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital Surround, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital 5.1, Thai: Dolby Digital 5.1, Turkish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, German, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Other, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish

Stars:
Brad Pitt
Cate Blanchett

Plot:
'I was born under unusual circumstances.' And so begins The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, adapted from the 1920s story by F. Scott Fitzgerald about a man who is born in his eighties and ages backward. Directed by David Fincher (Zodiac, Fight Club) and starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett as the time-crossed soul mates Benjamin and Daisy, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is an epic, time-traveler's adventure into the joys of life, the sadness of death and a love that endures beyond time.

Awards:
Academy Award2008NominatedBest ActorBrad Pitt
Academy Award2008WonBest Art DirectionDonald Graham Burt (Art Direction), Victor J. Zolfo (Set Decoration)
Academy Award2008NominatedBest CinematographyClaudio Miranda
Academy Award2008NominatedBest Costume DesignJacqueline West
Academy Award2008NominatedBest DirectorDavid Fincher
Academy Award2008NominatedBest Film EditingKirk Baxter, Angus Wall
Academy Award2008WonBest MakeupGreg Cannom
Academy Award2008NominatedBest Music, Original ScoreAlexandre Desplat
Academy Award2008NominatedBest Picture
Academy Award2008NominatedBest Sound MixingDavid Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce, Mark Weingarten
Academy Award2008NominatedBest Supporting ActressTaraji P. Henson
Academy Award2008WonBest Visual EffectsEric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton, Craig Barron
Academy Award2008NominatedBest Writing, Adapted ScreenplayEric Roth (Screenplay/Story), Robin Swicord (Story)
American Film Institute Awards2008WonMovies of the Year
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2009NominatedBest Acting Ensemble
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2009NominatedBest ActorBrad Pitt
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2009NominatedBest ActressCate Blanchett
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2009NominatedBest ComposerAlexandre Desplat
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2009NominatedBest DirectorDavid Fincher
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2009NominatedBest Picture
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2009NominatedBest Supporting ActressTaraji P. Henson
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2009NominatedBest WriterEric Roth
Golden Globe2008NominatedActor in a Leading Role - DramaBrad Pitt
Golden Globe2008NominatedDirectorDavid Fincher
Golden Globe2008NominatedOriginal ScoreAlexandre Desplat
Golden Globe2008NominatedPicture - Drama
Golden Globe2008NominatedScreenplayEric Roth, Robin Swicord

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Nice enough movie. Though it lacks a certain something. It is an interesting concept, but sadly the story just moves along at its leisurely pace without any highlight to speak of.
And I am not happy about the choice the main character made at the end. It felt like he was leaving Daisy to have live his "youth" without having the burden of a family. Of course his reasoning is, that she wouldn't have to live with a guy who gets younger and younger. But in the end, he was missing the years he could have easily helped raising their daughter, but was back in her life when she needed to take care of him in his "old" age.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 13, 2009, 07:07:06 PM »

Title: No Heroics: Series One
Director:
Rating: 15
Length: 132 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

Plot:
No Heroics is a six-part comedy series about four old friends who just happen to be off-duty superheroes.

The show focuses on their day-to-day lives, which turn out to be pretty much the same as everyone else's. In fact, superheroics seem far from their minds behind relationships, sex lives, and a constant desperation for success and fame.

Instead, this group of B-listers would rather get drunk and commiserate their lack of superiority in their local superheroes-only pub, The Fortress...
No Heroics is an ground-breaking comedy featuring stellar Britcom talent. The show has garnered much critical praise and a nomination for Best New Comedy at the British Comedy Awards 2008.

Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interviews
Outtakes
Photo Gallery

My Thoughts:
A fun comedy series about a bunch of washed-up superheroes hanging around in a superheroes bar. My favorite episode is the one with Mark Heap (Brian from "Spaced") as a crazy jailed supervillain. Also in this episode I loved the storyline with Timebomb having to be a bodyguard to a rich spoiled boy.

If you enjoy this series, I can definetely recommend the movie "The Specials", which is in a very similar style.

#EpisodeRating
01Episode 1
02Episode 2
03Episode 3
04Episode 4
05Episode 5
06Episode 6

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 18, 2009, 07:29:37 PM »

Title: Push
Year: 2009
Director: Paul McGuigan
Rating: 12
Length: 111 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: DTS HD Master Audio

Stars:
Colin Ford
Joel Gretsch
Djimon Hounsou
Dakota Fanning
Robert Tsonos

Plot:
Riveting Sci-Fi action thriller Push is set in a deadly world of psychic espionage where the ability to move objects using only the mind, see the future, create new realities and kill without ever touching the victim can turn a person into a lethal weapon - or a target. A young man (Chris Evans - Sunshine, Fantastic Four) and a teenage girl with extraordinary gifts (Dakota Fanning - War of the Worlds) take on a clandestine agency in a battle they can win only if they change the future.

Awards:
Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This movie was part of the last FantasyFilmFest. But it was shown at a time which did not fit my schedule. When I saw that it was available at a reasonable price on Blu I have bought it.
I must say I am disappointed with this movie. It was said to be some kind of "Heroes" rip-off. But the movie was a rather mess, in my opinion. The actors were not good. Dakota Fanning was rather disappointing. As a child actor she was rather good ("War of the World", even though she screamed a lot), but now a teenager she didn't seem to have improved. It felt rather awkward.
The story is uninteresting. The different type of powers there are, are mostly fun to watch ("Pusher" - can control the mind, "Mover" - is telekinetic, "Watcher" - can see the future), but I really didn't like the "Bleeders", who emit high-pitched sounds. They really looked stupid doing so and it got very tired after the first time.
I cannot recommend this movie.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 19, 2009, 08:39:28 PM »

Title: The Cosby Show: Season Eight
Year: 1991
Director:
Rating: NR
Length: 550 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English:
Subtitles:

Plot:
The Cosby Show appeared on NBC from 1984 to 1992, becoming one of the most popular programs in the history of television. The Cosby Show depicted a close-knit and prosperous African-American family (The Huxtables) that dwelled in New York City. Dr. Heathcliff (OB-GYN) and Clair (attorney) Huxtable were a happily married, dual-profession couple with aspirations of raising their 5 children in an uplifting, positive environment. The Cosby Show held TV's #1 slot for a record 5 consecutive years (1985 to 1990) and stayed in the Top 20 shows for all eight seasons it was on NBC.

Enjoy all of the legendary final season episodes, such as "With This Ring" and "There's No Place Like This Home". The Cosby Show Season 8 contains 24 original, uncut episodes. Relive the love and laughter all over again for the first time!

My Thoughts:
The final season of The Cosby Show. It seems like the actors didn't want to do it anymore (either that or the writers didn't know what to do with their characters). The regular cast is hardly in it, but a lot of guest characters pop up regularly.
Usually I'm not a big fan of child characters, but Olivia steals every scene she is in. I thought this 15 years ago, when I regularly watched this show on German television. And I still think this. This is an instance, where the German dub didn't need to improve on a bad child actor. Raven Simoné really was a pleasure to watch in the original.

#EpisodeRating
01With This Ring
02There's No Place Like Home
03Particles in Motion
04WARNING: A Double-Lit Candle Can Cause a Meltdown
05Pam Applies to College
06It's Apparent to Everyone
07The Iceman Bricketh
08Olivia's Field Trip
09For Men Only
10Olivia Comes Out of the Closet
11Two Is a Crowd
12Clair's Place
13Theo's Future
14The Price Is Wrong
15Bring Me the Lip Gloss of Deirdre Arpelle
16Eat, Drink and Be Wary
17The Getaway
18Cliff Gets Jilted
19Cliff and Theo Come Clean
20Clair's Reunion
21Rudy's Retreat
22You Can't Stop the Music
23Some Gifts Aren't Deductible
24And So We Commence (Parts 1 & 2)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 20, 2009, 08:31:04 PM »

Title: Slumdog Millionaire
Director: Danny Boyle
Rating: 15
Length: 120 Min.
Audio: English: DTS HD Master Audio, English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo

Stars:
Dev Patel
Saurabh Shukla
Anil Kapoor
Raj Zutshi
Jeneva Talwar

Plot:
Jamal Malik, an 18 year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai, is just one question away from winning a staggering 20 million rupees on India's 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?' Arrested on suspicion of cheating, he tells the police the incredible story of his life on the streets, and of the girl he loved and lost. Mixing stunning scenery with breathtaking action, comedy and romance, this is the ultimate tale of rags to riches.

Awards:
Academy Award2008WonBest CinematographyAnthony Dod Mantle
Academy Award2008WonBest DirectorDanny Boyle
Academy Award2008WonBest Film EditingChris Dickens
Academy Award2008WonBest Music, Original ScoreA. R. Rahman
Academy Award2008WonBest Music, Song"Jai Ho": A. R. Rahman (Music), Gulzar (Lyrics)
Academy Award2008NominatedBest Music, Song"O Saya": A. R. Rahman, Maya Arulpragasam)
Academy Award2008WonBest Picture
Academy Award2008NominatedBest Sound EditingTom Sayers, Glenn Freemantle
Academy Award2008WonBest Sound MixingIan Tapp, Richard Pryke, Resul Pookutty
Academy Award2008WonBest Writing, Adapted ScreenplaySimon Beaufoy
BAFTA2008WonBest CinematographyAnthony Dod Mantle
BAFTA2008WonBest DirectorDanny Boyle
BAFTA2008WonBest EditingChris Dickens
BAFTA2008WonBest FilmChristian Colson
BAFTA2008NominatedBest Leading ActorDev Patel
BAFTA2008WonBest MusicA. R. Rahman
BAFTA2008NominatedBest Production DesignMark Digby, Michelle Day
BAFTA2008WonBest Screenplay - AdaptedSimon Beaufoy
BAFTA2008WonBest SoundGlenn Freemantle, Resul Pookutty, Richard Pryke, Tom Sayers, Ian Tapp
BAFTA2008NominatedBest Supporting ActressFreida Pinto
BAFTA2008NominatedOutstanding British FilmChristian Colson, Danny Boyle, Simon Beaufoy
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2009WonBest ComposerA. R. Rahman
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2009WonBest Picture
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2009NominatedBest Song"Jaiho": Sukhwinder Singh
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2009WonBest WriterSimon Beaufoy
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2009WonBest Young Actor/Actress (Under 21)Dev Patel
Golden Globe2008WonDirectorDanny Boyle
Golden Globe2008WonOriginal ScoreA. R. Rahman
Golden Globe2008WonPicture - Drama
Golden Globe2008WonScreenplaySimon Beaufoy
MTV Movie Awards2009NominatedBest KissFeida Pinto, Dev Patel
MTV Movie Awards2009NominatedBest Movie
MTV Movie Awards2009NominatedBest Song From A Movie"Jai Ho": A. R. Rahman
MTV Movie Awards2009NominatedBest WTF Moment"Jumping In The Poop Shed": Ayush Mahesh Khedekar
MTV Movie Awards2009NominatedBreakthrough Male PerformanceDev Patel
Teen Choice Awards2009NominatedChoice Movie - Drama
Teen Choice Awards2009NominatedChoice Movie Fresh Face - FemaleFrida Pinto
Teen Choice Awards2009NominatedChoice Movie Fresh Face - MaleDev Patel
Teen Choice Awards2009NominatedChoice Movie LiplockFrida Pinto, Dev Patel

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Scene Access
Short Film: MANJHA
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Strange that when a British director makes a Bollywood movie, it wins dozens of awards (including 8 oscars), but other Bollywood movies are hardly on the radar for them. Not to say that this movie is not good, but I have seen Bollywood movies I have enjoyed much more.
It probably won so many awards, because this movie was a little change of pace for the Hollywood crowd. Just as watching Bollywood movies is for me.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #501 on: September 20, 2009, 09:04:19 PM »
I think Slumdog was successful for critics because it bridged the gap. It's actually far more of a British film than it is a Bollywood one and there's lots of subtle cross-culture things going on that make it more accessible (not least the gameshow that's very British, and references to our telly), plus the music is generic. Also, the very strong Indian community in this country means any decent British director probably has enough sense of the culture to pull it off without anyone thinking it was remotely unusual (I certainly didn't think anything of it when I first heard about it). I think it helped that the US could look on it as British, rather than foreign; it tricked them into reading some subs, but not all the way through! :D

Then you have ignorant people like me! ;) I know you enjoy Bollywood, but I associate their films with musicals too much and I can't stomach musicals! I remember seeing the trailer for Lagaan and thinking how utterly wonderful it looked, and then they started bloody singing and dancing...  :shrug: Slumdog makes that nod during the credits and I enjoyed it because it was outside the story.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 20, 2009, 09:23:20 PM »
If you want to check out a Bollywood movie, without song and dance, I can recommend "Black". And as chance will have it, it stars Amitabh Bachchan, the Bollywood star the guy in Slumdog got an autograph from. And of course the lovely Rani Mukerji :)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 21, 2009, 04:10:47 AM »
I associate their films with musicals too much and I can't stomach musicals!

Jon this isn't an indian one, but the Pakistan do the same genre of movie also. This is something I own and this is probably one of the most head pain inducer I have seen. It runs for 2h46 and this is full of bad singing, bad choreography and special effect... without mentionning that the story is quite stupid, but in a good way (certainly not the idea of the so-called director :laugh:). I'm sure that the title rings a bell for you since the movie had created some controversy in the UK some years ago.

I'm sure that the Indian industry is better than this... at least I hope ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 21, 2009, 08:07:01 PM »
I'm sure that the Indian industry is better than this... at least I hope ;)

To give you an idea about the song numbers in modern Bollywood movies, here a small collection of video clips:

Here a (in my opinion) nice video of a typical duet in a romantic comedy:

Here something which goes more into the direction of the style you probably think of when thinking of Bollywood movies. A colorful party scene:

You wouldn't believe it, there are even Bollywood movies, which do not have dances with their songs :laugh:
Here two clips of such a movie (Taare Zameen Par):

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 22, 2009, 09:45:06 PM »

Title: The Day the Earth Stood Still
Director: Scott Derrickson
Length: 103 Min.
Audio: English: DTS HD Master Audio, French: DTS 5.1, Italian: DTS 5.1, Russian: DTS 5.1, English: DTS 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Commentary, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Other, Russian, Swedish

Stars:
Keanu Reeves
Jennifer Connelly
Kathy Bates
Jaden Smith
John Cleese

Plot:
Epic action and mind-blowing effects rock the planet in this thrilling reinvention of the 1950s classic THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. Reeves is Klaatu, a being, whose arrival on Earth triggers an unstoppable series of events that threaten all mankind. In a desperate attempt to save humanity, governments and scientists race to unravel the mystery behind the visitor's appearance. When a woman (Jennifer Connelly) and her young stepson find themselves embroiled in Klaatu's plans, they become the world's only hope to stave off apocalyptic annihilation. This edition also contains a bonus Digital Copy of the film, now you can watch The Day the Earth Stood Still where you want, when you want!

Awards:
Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This movie could have been so much more. But beside throwing around some CGI standard fare, this movie hasn't much to offer. And of course, when an alien race comes threatening mankind, the Americans feel like they are the world and the only important people the alien should talk to ;)
Keanu Reeves is just right for the emotionless Klaatu.
I didn't like how the people change their minds on a wim. First the boy, then Klaatu. The new Gort is not bad, but he reminded me a lot of Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen.

Rating:

richierich

« Reply #506 on: October 06, 2009, 04:24:24 PM »
I was talking to one of my Indian brokers today, and he was telling me how his 'other' business (they tend to have several) in Calcutta, with shop in Southall UK (http://www.mongas.co.uk/), is the manufacture of traditional Saris and national dress etc, he then shows pictures of several well known ladies wearing his clothes, Cheri Blair, Michelle Pfeiffer, Anne Hathaway etc.
He provided costumes for Bride & Prejudice, said a couple more Bollywood movies I can't remember, and that he is solely providing the wardrobe for a new UK based production called 'it's a wonderful afterlife' directed by Gurinder Chadha.
I spent the whole time listening to him talk about Bollywood filmmaking and what it means, thinking Tom would be in heaven, whilst for me it went straight over my head

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 10, 2009, 07:18:44 PM »

Title: Red Dwarf I
Year: 1988
Director:
Length: 174 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo

Plot:
A radiation leak wipes out the crew of the mining ship Red Dwarf leaving one survivor - chicken soup machine repairman Dave Lister. After three million years in suspended animation, Lister emerges to find he is the last human being in the universe. But he is not alone.

Extras:
Book Chapters
Booklet
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Japanese Version of "The End"
Music
Outtakes
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Having watched the series review by sfdebirs, I got into the mood to rewatch this series again. Initially I have planned to do a marathon thread, but today my brother said he wanted to watch them with me. So I plan to watch them series by series instead of episode by episode.

With "The End" the series is off to a great start. I still very much enjoy this episode. The character introductions are great. And who can forget the "Everybody's dead, Dave" delivery by Holly.

My favorite episode from the first series is "Future Echoes". These echoes are a nice concept and very fun to watch. Especially the scene with the conversation between Lister and the Echo-Rimmer followed by Lister and the real Rimmer when we finally understand, what the first conversation is about. This scene was it, which completely won me over to Red Dwarf when I first watched this show.

The other episodes are nice, but not so good as the first two. The final episode comes close though. It's fun having Rimmer have to live with himself. Also the episode "Waiting for God" is enjoyable, where Lister learns that he is a god to the cat people.

#EpisodeRating
01The End
02Future Echoes
03Balance of Power
04Waiting for God
05Confidence and Paranoia
06Me²

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 10, 2009, 07:31:38 PM »

Title: Watchmen: Director's Cut
Year: 2009
Director: Zack Snyder
Rating: R
Length: 186 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40
Audio: English: DTS HD Master Audio, French: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Malin Akerman
Billy Crudup
Matthew Goode
Jackie Earle Haley
Jeffrey Dean Morgan

Plot:
A complex, multi-layered mystery adventure, Watchmen is set in an alternate 1985 America in which costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the “Doomsday Clock” – which charts the USA’s tension with the Soviet Union – is permanently set at five minutes to midnight. When one of his former colleagues is murdered, the washed up but no less determined masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion – a ragtag group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers – Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mission is to watch over humanity…but who is watching the watchmen?

Awards:
Scream Awards2009NominatedBest Comic Book Movie
Scream Awards2009NominatedBest Ensemble
Scream Awards2009NominatedBest F/X
Scream Awards2009NominatedBest Fantasy Movie
Scream Awards2009NominatedBest SuperheroBilly Crudup
Scream Awards2009NominatedBest SuperheroJackie Earle
Scream Awards2009NominatedBest SuperheroMalin Akerman
Scream Awards2009NominatedBest Supporting ActressCarla Gugino
Scream Awards2009NominatedFight-to-the-Death Scene of the Year"Ozymandias vs. The Comedian":
Scream Awards2009NominatedMost Memorable Mutilation"Arms Cut Off by Rotary Saw":
Scream Awards2009NominatedScream Song of the Year"Desolation Row": My Chemical Romance
Scream Awards2009NominatedThe "Holy Sh%t!" Scene of the Year"The Destruction of Manhattan":
Teen Choice Awards2009NominatedChoice Movie Actress - Action/AdventureMalin Akerman

Extras:
BD-Live
Featurettes
Maximum Movie Mode
Music Videos
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Even though I enjoy this movie, I feel it is much too long. The graphic novel on which this movie is based on, was always said to be unfilmable. They have proven this incorrect. As a matter of fact this is almost a panel-by-panel reenactment (at least it feels like it). And this is in my opinion just playing it too safe. A good film adaption, in my opinion, takes a source material and takes parts which are essential and provide a good and stream-lined story. Here they almost did not take any liberties, which is just too lazy for a film adaption. This approach would have better fit in a mini series.
A good comic book adaption, where they still have the general storyline and ideas in the movie, but have enough changes to better fit the constraints of a movie, are in my opinion the two Death Note movies.
But I have to give it to the movie, that the one big thing they have changed was for the better. And that is the ending. I like the movie version better. Coincidentally I thought the same thing about the Death Note ending.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 16, 2009, 12:04:47 AM »

Title: Babylon 5: Season Five: The Wheel of Fire
Year: 1998
Director:
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 933 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, German

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Production Notes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
It has now been five years since I bought this set and I finally came around watching it.
When the series was to be cancelled after the fourth season, most relevant storylines were already wrapped up. So this season came off with a weak start. I never cared for the telepath storyline in this season. Mostly because I didn't like how Byron and his people were portrayed.
I also missed Ivanova. But I must admit, that Lockley filled the void well. I liked Tracy Scoggins much better here than as Cat in Lois & Clark's first season.
As the most storylines were already wrapped up, JMS could take a slower pace to wrap up some loose ends and to give each character a proper farewell. This is the strength of the second half of this season. I also liked that they slowly introduced their replacements on the station. It gives a feeling that there could be another series with a new set of characters.
This series is still one of the best TV shows, with season three being my personal favourite. It showed that a series can contain a planned out continuous storyline instead of doing standalone episodes. And what I find amazing is, that most of the episodes were written by JMS himself (92 out of 110 episodes). Except for one episode in season 5 he wrote all of season 3 to 5 and most of the episodes of the first two seasons!

#EpisodeRating
01No Compromises
02The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari
03The Paragon of Animals
04A View from the Gallery
05Learning Curve
06Strange Relations
07Secrets of the Soul
08Day of the Dead
09In the Kingdom of the Blind
10A Tragedy of Telepaths
11Phoenix Rising