Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858226 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: My random reviews
« Reply #210 on: January 13, 2009, 11:31:22 PM »

Title: My Super Ex-Girlfriend
Year: 2006
Director: Ivan Reitman
Rating: PG-13
Length: 96 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Uma Thurman
Luke Wilson
Anna Faris
Rainn Wilson
Eddie Izzard

Plot:
SUPERstars Uma Thurman and Luke Wilson deliver unstoppable fun in this hilarious hit comedy directed by Ivan Reitman ('Meatballs', 'Stripes').

Matt Saunders (Wilson) thinks he's found the perfect girlfriend in Jenny Johnson (Thurman), who just happens to be smart, sexy...and a superhero. But when Jenny turns out to be a needy, neurotic mess, Matt wants to call it quits. Jenny is crushed by the news and will stop at nothing to exact sweet revenge.

It's an outrageous super-comedy that proves breaking up can be hard to do - and downright dangerous!

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Deleted Scenes
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A nice romantic comedy. It will not be a favorite of mine, but I had fun watching it. But Anna Faris beats Uma Thurman by far in the hotness department!
Rainn Wilson is a nice comic relief doing his "The Office" shtick.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2009, 10:25:20 PM »

Title: The Terminator
Year: 1984
Director: James Cameron
Rating: FSK-18/KJ
Length: 103 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, German, Spanish

Stars:
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Michael Biehn
Linda Hamilton
Paul Winfield
Lance Henriksen

Extras:
Booklet
Deleted Scenes
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A great action movie with great effects considering its low budget. And a perfect example of a time-loop story.

In the deleted scenes on the DVD, there are already ideas present, which are later used in Terminator 2. In one, Sarah wants to go and destroy Cyberdyne Systems before they invent Skynet. Originally, it is also revealed, that the factory, the Terminator is destroyed in, is actually Cyberdyne Systems, where employees are finding remnants of the Terminator's microchip. From which then the technology of the Terminators will be reverse-engineered.

Rating:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2009, 11:25:23 PM »

In the deleted scenes on the DVD, there are already ideas present, which are later used in Terminator 2. In one, Sarah wants to go and destroy Cyberdyne Systems before they invent Skynet. Originally, it is also revealed, that the factory, the Terminator is destroyed in, is actually Cyberdyne Systems, where employees are finding remnants of the Terminator's microchip. From which then the technology of the Terminators will be reverse-engineered.

Rating:

I read just a few days ago about those.  Unfortunately, the DVD I got recently doesn't have the deleted scenes.  That does make sense for that factory to be Cyberdyne..otherwise how would they have gotten the arm and microchip?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 17, 2009, 11:28:06 AM »

Title: Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Year: 1991
Director: James Cameron
Rating: FSK-16
Length: 147 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: German: Dolby Digital Surround EX, German: DTS ES (Matrixed), English: Dolby Digital Surround EX, Commentary: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: Commentary, English, German, Turkish

Stars:
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Linda Hamilton
Edward Furlong
Robert Patrick
Earl Boen

Extras:
Booklet
Commentary
Featurettes
Interviews
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access
THX certified
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A great follow up. Revolutionary in special effects, even though they seem a little dated now.
Though this time around I was bothered by the teenage John. He was annoying. Also the story-line, that he wants the Terminator to learn stupid stuff does not fit. Maybe this is because we can see a little more mature John in Sarah Connor Chronicles now.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 17, 2009, 08:12:20 PM »

Title: Hancock
Year: 2008
Director: Peter Berg
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40
Audio: English: Dolby Digital TrueHD, Other: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital TrueHD, Russian: Dolby Digital 5.1, Other: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, German, Greek, Hindi, Norwegian, Other, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Will Smith
Charlize Theron
Jason Bateman
Jae Head
Eddie Marsan

Extras:
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Luckily, when I first went to watch this movie, I already heard, that this movie goes in a different direction than the trailer promises. And I enjoyed this movie. The only thing which really bothers me a little (the first time around and now) is the ending. I like the ending, but I thought the camera stayed too long on Will Smith and Charlize Theron (alternating) and combined with the use of slow motion, it was a little over-dramatic. I think the scene would have been much better, if it were faster cut. But other than this, I thought it is a fun take on the superheroes genre. I like the "origin story" of Hancock. A little different than most of the recent Superhero movies.
I just remembered another thing, which I do not like. It has been added to this extended version (luckily there is also the regular version on the Blu-ray disc). It's the scene, where Hancock has sex with the woman in the beginning and is having some "super sperm". This is a scene which belongs into movies like "Scary Movie" and not here.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 17, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »

Title: Das kleine Arschloch und der alte Sack - Sterben ist Scheiße
Year: 2006
Director: Michael Schaack, Konrad Weise
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 76 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: German

Stars:
Ilona Schulz
Helge Schneider
Badesalz
Dirk Bach
Ralph Morgenstern

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
"Das Kleine Arschloch" (lit. "Little Asshole") is comic character by the famous German cartoonist Walter Moers. The first movie was fun (even if far from great), but this movie is mostly boring. It some laughs in it though. And the side-plot with the bird (voiced by the German comedy duo Badesalz) is funny. It is based on another comic strip by Walter Moers: "Echte Vögel kotzen nicht" ("Real Birds Don't Barf"). It's about a dialog between two flying ducks, where one of them has a big fear of flying. You can read that comic strip here (in German).
The main story with the Kleines Arschloch watchable, even funny sometimes. But the second story with the "Alten Sack" (derogatory term for a old man) is rather boring, mostly because of the bad voice acting by Helge Schneider.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 17, 2009, 11:22:54 PM »

Title: Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Year: 2003
Director: Jonathan Mostow
Rating: FSK-16
Length: 105 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: DTS 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Commentary, English, German, Turkish

Stars:
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Nick Stahl
Claire Danes
Kristanna Loken
David Andrews

Extras:
Booklet
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interactive Game
Outtakes
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Storyboard Comparisons
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I will probably be only one of few people, who did like the third installment of the Terminator franchise the best of the three. I saw it in the cinema, and more than five times since then on DVD.
The plot is similar to T2 (Arnie comes back to protect John from an advanced Terminator), but has much more action. In a matter of fact, this movie is non-stop action with hardly anything else. And in this case, it is good. Nothing else have I expected from another Terminator movie.
We do not have to suffer a teenage John Connor. Instead we got Nick Stahl as an adult John, which he did a great job with. Also we have a no-nonsense Schwarzenegger Terminator back without him having to learn human emotions. And we got a hot female Terminator as an advisary. What else do you want?
I think the special effects are great in this movie. Beginning with the crane chase in the beginning, the effects with T-X (especially her fights with Arnie) and the great special effects with Arnie's face half gone at the end.
And I loved the ending. Just the right way to finish this trilogy.
Until recently I have thought it an error to continue this franchise from here with other movies, but Sarah Connor Chronicles has shown, that it can work without having Arnold Schwarzenegger a big role in it. I am hoping, that the new movies will integrate the stuff, we have learned in the first three movies. Like Kyle Reese getting the picture of Sarah Connor and being sent back in time by John. Or having John killed by an T-800 (rumors have it, that there will have permission to use Arnold's face to superimpose on a double and that Arnold probably has voice recorded. I hope that is true.) and have that Terminator sent back in time by Kate.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #217 on: January 18, 2009, 02:42:27 AM »
Tom, I get the impression you not only enjoy Terminator 3, but you prefer it to T2? Say it ain't so! :-X

I actually enjoy T3 too, but find it the weakest entry. Cameron was sorely missed. And I can't forgive it the dreadful treatment of Sarah Connor in any case.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 18, 2009, 11:36:39 AM »
Tom, I get the impression you not only enjoy Terminator 3, but you prefer it to T2? Say it ain't so! :-X

I actually enjoy T3 too, but find it the weakest entry. Cameron was sorely missed. And I can't forgive it the dreadful treatment of Sarah Connor in any case.

Objectively the first two movies are better than T3 and are more important in movie history. But if I had to watch one of the movies again just now, although I just have watched all three of them, my choice would fall on T3. I think it is such a well-done action movie, that I never get tired watching it.
And that Sarah Connor died before the events of the movie, bothered me the first time around. But now I am not so sure, if the movie would have benefitted to have Sarah Connor be part of it. Also I have the feeling after watching all movies in a row, that Sarah Connor was never meant to see Judgement Day.
I like the fact, that they used the idea of Sarah Connor dying from cancer in Sarah Connor Chronicles. It's a nice nod to T3 even if they are ignoring the events in that one. When T:SCC first started, I have read that they plan to do alternative realities stories, where that alternative reality is that of T3. I hope they do that (I only know S1 so far, maybe they already did it in S2).

So I see it now like that:
T1: Great story, nicely executed. Lays the foundation of the Terminator franchise.
T2: Extended on that story. Have Arnie be the good guy fighting against an advanced Terminator. Revolutionary SFX. Have an annoying teenage John.
T3: Take the story of T2. Do away with annoying John. Make Arnie a no-nonsense guy like in T1 again. Great SFX (10 years more advanced than in T2). An ending which I prefer to T2 (This is how T2 should have ended and they wouldn't have broken the time loop of T1). And have non-stop action. If you expected more than you will be disappointed. I didn't, and thus I could enjoy T3 a great deal.

Najemikon

« Reply #219 on: January 18, 2009, 01:28:07 PM »
I did like how the series handled the cancer storyline, though I felt it did so as an angry "how dare you!" response to T3, not an acceptance. There's something about the whole manner they put T2 together though, that I find it the most watchable of the trilogy. But I do like the female Terminator...  :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 18, 2009, 08:14:14 PM »

Title: Jingle All the Way
Year: 1996
Director: Brian Levant
Rating: PG
Length: 89 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Sinbad
Phil Hartman
Rita Wilson
Robert Conrad

Plot:
Arnold Schwarzenegger stars in this hilarious holiday comedy as a father desperate to buy that must-have Christmas toy during a frantic last-minute shopping spree on Christmas Eve.

Howard Langston (Schwarzenegger) has promised his young son a Turbo Man action figure for Christmas, unaware that it's the season's hottest-selling toy. And so begins a frenzied quest that pits Howard against a stressed-out mailman (Sinbad), a sleazy Santa impersonator (James Belushi) and every other harried parent in town, in "the best holiday family film in years." (Don Stotter, Entertainment Time-Out)

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A very unfunny comedy. The only highlight is Phil Hartman as the creepy neighbor.
In the first scene, I thought: "Hey, this kid reminds me of this kid in Star Wars: Episode 1. He is just as bad in acting". And then the opening credits came up and it said "Jake Llyod" :laugh:

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2009, 10:00:17 PM »

Title: Bee Movie
Year: 2007
Director: Simon J. Smith, Steve Hickner
Rating: U
Length: 90 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital TrueHD, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish

Stars:
Jerry Seinfeld
Renée Zellweger
Matthew Broderick
Patrick Warburton
John Goodman

Plot:
Everyone is buzzing for BEE MOVIE, the hit comedy from creator and comic icon Jerry Seinfeld. Ambitious young worker bee Barry B. Benson soars out into the world with the high-flying pollen jocks in search of nectar and adventure. But when he breaks one of the cardinal rules of beedom and speaks to humans, Barry sets off an un-bee-lievable chain of events that prove even a little bee can make a big difference!

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I think the scenes outside the hive are much more fun than the one in the bee hive. Especially the first few scenes when Barry is in the human world for the first time.
I can't help but constantly see Jerry Seinfeld before my eyes. His voice is just too recognizable to use it for an animated character.

Rating:

RossRoy

« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
I can't help but constantly see Jerry Seinfeld before my eyes. His voice is just too recognizable to use it for an animated character.

Depends for who :tease:

I never watched Seinfeld or even seen him perform standup comedy, so I can't associate his voice with anything. But I know what you mean ;)

It's a cute little movie. I watched it quite a few times during the time my nieces were here for a week while my sister was getting sunburned in Cuba  :surrender:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 24, 2009, 09:40:13 PM »

Title: Wanted
Director: Timur Bekmambetov
Rating: 18
Length: 110 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35
Audio: Japanese: DTS 5.1, English: DTS HD Master Audio, French: DTS 5.1, Italian: DTS 5.1, German: DTS 5.1, Spanish: DTS 5.1
Subtitles: Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
James McAvoy
Morgan Freeman
Angelina Jolie
Terence Stamp
Thomas Kretschmann

Plot:
Wesley Gibson (James McAvoy) is a cube-dwelling hypochondriac, with a boss who humiliates him and a cheating girlfriend. His life is going nowhere.
Wes discovers that his estranged father has been brutally murdered and finds himself thrust into a secret society of assassins, called The Fraternity. During his training, at the hands of a skilled mentor named Fox (Angelina Jolie), this once office-bound wimp develops lightning-fast reflexes and superhuman dexterity.
However, with his first assignment, Wes finds out that the only thing more difficult than ending the lives of others, is summoning the courage to take control of his own.

Extras:
BD Live
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Motion Comics
Scene Access
U-Control

My Thoughts:
I had seen this movie in the cinema and couldn't wait to watch it again. I think it is one of the only decent attempts of making a Matrix like movie since the first Matrix came out (way better than the two Matrix sequels).
When the Blu-ray arrived, I was surprised, that it had a rating of 18 (both British and German, both ratings are printed on the disc). The cinema I had visited plays movies in their original language and usually do not display the rating. I didn't remember that this movie would warrant such a high age restriction, but seeing it again now, I can understand why. There is a lot of bloody violence in it (but nothing which would endanger an US R-Rating ;) ).
I enjoyed this movie just as much as the first time around. Even though the action reminds a little of Matrix, this movie has an interesing story different from Matrix.
But that Angelina Jolie should eat something. I don't remember her seeing as such a stick-figure in "Mr. & Mrs. Smith", the last movie I have seen her in.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 25, 2009, 06:29:13 PM »

Title: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Director: Joss Whedon
Rating: NR
Length: 42 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Music Only: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, German, Japanese, Other, Spanish

Stars:
Neil Patrick Harris
Nathan Fillion
Felicia Day
Simon Helberg
Nick Towne

Plot:
Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother) stars as Billy, A.K.A. Dr. Horrible, a budding super-villian whose plans for world domination continually go awry. His two goals: getting accepted into the Evil League of Evil, and working up the guts to speak to his laudromat crush Penny, played by Felicia Day (The Guild). The only thing standing in his way is Captain Hammer, Billy's superhero arch-nemesis played by Nathan Fillion (Firefly). With one big score, Billy coule get into the E.L.E. and earn the respect of Penny, but only if he can keep her away from the dashing Captain Hammer...

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Featurettes
Music Videos
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Great little musical. Doogie is a fun villain wannabe. I love the Buffy musical episode, so it is great to see Joss doing another musical.

And on the DVD we get another musical: "Commentary: The Musical" :laugh:

Rating:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 10:37:31 AM by Tom »