Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858235 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: My random reviews
« Reply #195 on: January 08, 2009, 06:39:48 PM »

Title: Kung Fu Panda
Year: 2008
Director: John Stevenson, Mark Osborne
Rating: PG
Length: 92 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: Dolby Digital TrueHD, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Plus, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Turkish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Dutch: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish

Stars:
Jack Black
Dustin Hoffman
Angelina Jolie
Ian McShane
Jackie Chan

Plot:
From the Creators of Shrek and Madagascar comes the funniest movie of the year! Prepare for awesomeness with DreamWorks Animation's KUNG FU PANDA. Jack Black is perfect as the voice of Po, a noodle slurping dreamer who must embrace his true self - fuzzy flaws and all - in order to become the legendary Dragon Warrior. With high-kicking humour, tons of kung fu action, and groundbreaking animation, KUNG FU PANDA is a heart-warming story of courage for the whole family!

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Interactive Game
Video Jukebox

My Thoughts:
A fun kung fu movie. I think the fight are animated well. Jack Black is perfect for the role of the Panda, who likes to be a Kung Fu fighter.
The animation is great, though still behind Pixar. But classes better than Madagascar (I don't like the character design in that one).
To compensate their disadvantage in animation to Pixar, DreamWorks has as always "big" names in their cast list for promoting the movie. Besides Jack Black, there is Dustin Hoffman, Angelina Jolie, Seth Rogen, Lucy Liu, Jackie Chan and others. Though most of them have only a few lines.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2009, 09:21:02 PM »

Title: Bedazzled
Year: 2000
Director: Harold Ramis
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 89 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Commentary, English, German

Stars:
Brendan Fraser
Elizabeth Hurley
Frances O'Connor
Miriam Shor
Miriam Shor

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A fun comedy. I think Elizabeth Hurley is great as the sexy devil!
I am interested how the original movie of which this is a remake of is, so I have ordered it from Amazon marketplace now.

Rating:

richierich

« Reply #197 on: January 09, 2009, 10:12:27 AM »
A fun comedy. I think Elizabeth Hurley is great as the sexy devil!
I am interested how the original movie of which this is a remake of is, so I have ordered it from Amazon marketplace now.

Rating:

Have you found a good deal on the original Tom, I didn't know this was a remake and would probably be interested in investing in the original

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 09, 2009, 11:02:09 AM »
Have you found a good deal on the original Tom, I didn't know this was a remake and would probably be interested in investing in the original

I have bought it on Amazon.co.uk marketplace for £2.99 + shipping.
As I see, it is still available for that price there. Regular Amazon price is £6.97

Link
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:31:41 AM by Tom »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 09, 2009, 03:46:35 PM »
Following the link I noticed that the original was not only directed by Stanley Donen but also has Dudley Moore and Raquel Welch in it. Immediately wish-listed. Thanks Tom, waiting for your review ;D

richierich

« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2009, 05:08:33 PM »
Following the link I noticed that the original was not only directed by Stanley Donen but also has Dudley Moore and Raquel Welch in it. Immediately wish-listed. Thanks Tom, waiting for your review ;D

Ditto, thanks for the heads-up on this title  :thumbup:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2009, 05:10:39 PM »

Title: Rocketeer
Year: 1991
Director: Joe Johnston
Rating: PG
Length: 104 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.0, French: Dolby Digital Surround, Italian: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Dutch, English

Stars:
Bill Campbell
Jennifer Connelly
Alan Arkin
Timothy Dalton
Paul Sorvino

Plot:
In the tradition of Raiders Of The Lost Ark, ROCKETEER is a full-throttle blast of thrills, fun and dazzling special effects. Set in glamorous 1930s Hollywood, it tells the story of Cliff Secord, a down-on-his-luck pilot who stumbles upon an incredible invention - a top secret jetpack that allows him to soar through the skies like a human rocket. But before long, a sinister spy (Timothy Dalton) plots to steal the jetpack, thrusting Cliff into a dangerous mission that ultimately transforms him into an extraordinary hero.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
After recently watching Iron Man, I was thinking it was fitting to watch Rocketeer now. He is like a '30s down-sized Iron Man.
Although this movie is watchable, it is not really something special. Maybe if we would have gotten to see more Rocketeer action. I liked the final confrontation on the zeppelin though.

Rating:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2009, 05:12:57 PM »
I haven't seen Rocketeer in years... I remember thinking it wasn't the best but it was enjoyable. Which is probably why it never made it into my collection at this point. But I would probably add it if I found it cheap enough.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2009, 08:04:27 PM »

Title: The Day the Earth Stood Still
Year: 1951
Director: Robert Wise
Length: 88 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, French: Dolby Digital Mono, Italian: Dolby Digital Mono, German: Dolby Digital Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: Commentary, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish

Stars:
Michael Rennie
Patricia Neal
Hugh Marlowe
Sam Jaffe
Billy Gray

Extras:
Commentary
Restaurationsvergleich
Scene Access
Trailers
Wochenschau 1951

My Thoughts:
A great movie! I like the interaction of Klaatu with the Benson family. And the half-hour electricity cut-off is executed brilliantly. I like the reaction of the Professor when he hears about the power outage.
The special effects are great for their time! A shame that their had to use wires to support Patricia Neal when Gort is carrying her, as the man under the suit was to weak to carry her otherwise. This is the only effect (the visibility of the wires) which does not fit with the otherwise great effect work. The flying and landing of the ship and the opening of the ship (you don't see the gap of the door and stairway before they actually open) are all great effects.
Sadly, of what I heard so far, they did ruin the remake.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2009, 10:50:03 PM »

Title: Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Year: 2007
Director: Tim Story
Video: Widescreen 2.35
Audio: German: DTS HD HR, English: DTS HD HR, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: German

Stars:
Ioan Gruffudd
Jessica Alba
Chris Evans
Michael Chiklis
Julian McMahon

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interviews
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Fantastic Four were never one of my favorite superheroes. When the first movie came out, I never thought, that it would work. I always thought of the Fantastic Four as totally ridiculous and unrealistic (even for a comic). Four close people, who all get different powers in the same accident.
But surprisingly, I enjoyed the first movie. It was a good popcorn movie. I was a little disappointed with the second outing. The script was not as entertaining. And the acting was poor. Especially by Mr. Fantastic and Jessica Alba. Also for a engaged couple, there is surprisingly little chemistry. You know, there is something wrong, when there is more chemistry between Jessica Alba and Chris Evans (who plays her brother in the movie), than between her and the guy who is supposed to play her fiancé.
On the other hand, I thought the Silver Surfer was cool. He should have been used more.
And what was up with Cole, um Professor Chaos, ah no, Dr. Doom? Why did the General invite him? What did he provide for the effort of obtaining the board? Why did the General fall for him? "What you can help? OK. What you want to see the board? OK."
But can you take a movie serious, when Brian Posehn plays a wedding minister :laugh:

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 10, 2009, 08:23:05 PM »

Title: 50 First Dates
Year: 2004
Director: Peter Segal
Rating: PG-13
Length: 99 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Adam Sandler
Drew Barrymore
Rob Schneider
Sean Astin
Lusia Strus

Plot:
Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore star together for the first time since The Wedding Singer in one of the funniest romantic comedies in years.

Henry Roth (Sandler) lives an enviable life in a Hawaiian paradise, spending every night with a beautiful tourist in search of an island fling. It's a sweet life with no strings attached...until he meets Lucy (Barrymore). He and Lucy hit it off from the get-go, but the next day she acts like she doesn't know him. Has his karma come around to kick him in the butt or what? Actually, Lucy has short-term memory loss, so every night all memory of her day is erased. But a man in love will go to any lengths to win over the girl of his dreams, and if that means having to find imaginative ways of doing it over again every day, then Henry's up for the challenge.

Rob Schneider (Big Daddy) and Sean Astin (The Lord of the Rings trilogy) co-star in 50 FIRST DATES, which will win you over every time you watch it!

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Outtakes
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
When I first heard about this movie, I was excited, as Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore's previous collaboration ("Wedding Singer") is one of my favorite romantic comedies. They didn't disappoint! I always enjoy watching this movie. If there is one thing I would change, is the walrus vomit joke in the beginning. It doesn't fit into this movie.
As for the ending: I am glad that they didn't cop out and let Lucy miraculously be cured by the end. I thought the ending was just the perfect way to do it.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2009, 11:08:31 PM »

Title: Itty Bitty Titty Committee
Year: 2007
Director: Jamie Babbit
Rating: NR
Length: 87 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1

Stars:
Melonie Diaz
Nicole Vicius
Carly Pope
Melanie Mayron
Leslie Grossman

Plot:
This latest fabulous movie from Jamie Babbit (But I'm a Cheerleader) is a dynamic, romantic, funny and politically astute movie with a smart script, rockin' soundtrack and terrific ensemble cast that includes sexy young Melonie Diaz as the new grrrl on the block who falls in with a great gang of feisty feminists and then falls in love with leader of the pack, Nicole Vicius. Unfortunately, Nicole has a girlfriend - Melanie Mayron - and, as they say, drama ensues. With Carly Pope, Daniela Sea, Guinevere Turner, Deak Evgenikos, Jenny Shimizu and Lauren Mollica.

Extras:
Scene Access
Featurettes
Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
From the director "But I'm a Cheerleader". While that one has its charm, as its premise cannot be taken seriously, and therefore is a fun comedy to watch, this movie takes itself to seriously.
Also during most of the movie, many of the main characters are unlikeable and their actions are pure vandalism.
The movie takes up a little towards the end, when tension in the group breaks them up for awhile and also the finale is a little fun.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2009, 08:28:22 PM »

Title: Just Like Heaven
Year: 2005
Director: Mark Waters
Length: 95 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Surround, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Reese Witherspoon
Mark Ruffalo
Donal Logue
Dina Waters
Ben Shenkman

Plot:
Reese Witherspoon stars in the spirited romantic comedy Just Like Heaven. When David (Mark Ruffalo) rents his new apartment, the last thing he wants is company. Then Elizabeth (Reese Witherspoon) shows up, insisting the apartment is hers...until she disappears right before his eyes. He's convinced she's a spirit. She's convinced she's still alive. As they search for the truth of Elizabeth's past, their relationship changes from resentment to romance. Also starring Jon Heder, Just Like Heaven is a delightful film that critics declare is "one of the best romantic comedies to come along in years" (JP Sarni, Sirius Satellite Radio).

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Outtakes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A good romantic comedy, I enjoyed very much. Doesn't look Reese Witherspoon just great in it? :)
The worst thing about this release is that ugly DVD front cover.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2009, 11:09:23 PM »

Title: D.E.B.S.
Director: Angela Robinson
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Sara Foster
Jordana Brewster
Meagan Good
Jill Ritchie
Michael Clarke Duncan
Jessica Cauffiel

Plot:
Sultry crime boss Lucy Diamond (Jordana Brewster, The Fast and the Furious) is back in the states and the D.E.B.S. – an elite team of paramilitary collage co-ed superspies – are hot on her trail. But when their top agent, gorgeous Amy Bradshaw (Sara Foster, The Big Bounce), mysteriously disappears after coming face to face with the attractive young villainess, the D.E.B.S. begin a full-scale search for Lucy's secret lair, never suspecting that Amy may not want to be rescued after all, in this smart and sexy spy spoof.

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I always enjoy this movie. It's a romantic comedy disguised as a spy spoof. And even though it is a low-budget independent movie, I think it is well made.
And isn't Jordana Brewster beautiful in it? :)
I like how this movie plays with how the world (especially the D.E.B.S.) perceives Lucy Diamond and how she really is.

I think Jordana makes it really believable, that Lucy has fallen for Amy this fast.
Other good performances are Jill Ritchie as Janet, and Meagan Good as the badass Max.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 13, 2009, 08:06:04 AM »

Title: Imagine Me & You
Director: Ol Parker
Rating: R
Length: 94 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Piper Perabo
Lena Headey
Matthew Goode
Celia Imrie
Anthony Head

Plot:
Piper Perabo lights up the screen as Rachel, a blushing bride whose perfect nuptials take a surprising turn at the altar: An innocent glance between Rachel and an unexpected wedding guest is all it takes to spark a love-at-first-sight romance with a surprising twist - the object of Rachel's affection is a smart and sensuous...woman! Their shocking romance causes quite a stir amongst her family and friends as Rachel is forced to choose between her husband and the girl of her dreams. Say "I do" to the wonderfully witty film that Cosmopolitan calls "a refreshing romantic comedy!"

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Because of our current "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" marathon I thought it fitting to watch this movie again. It stars Lena Headey in a fun British romantic comedy, where she plays a woman, who falls in love with the bride (Piper Perabo) at a wedding she is providing the flowers for.
I think both women are lovely in this movie, and I thought the story moved along nicely.
Tony Head (Giles from Buffy) also has a fun supporting role as the bride's father.

Rating: