Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858453 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: My random reviews
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 09:57:15 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Complete Sixth Season
Year: 2007
Director:
Rating: NR
Length: 300 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Plot:
Larry David has a pretty good life. Pretty, pretty good. He has understanding friends, a tolerant wife, and his plans for the afterlife all plotted out.

See Larry take in a family of Blacks, make a generous donation, pay his respects to the dead, and befriend the handicapped. Is Larry David the most magnanimous man we know...or the most misunderstood?

1. Meet the Blacks
2. The Anonymous Donor
3. The Ida Funkhouser Roadside Memorial
4. The Lefty Call
5. The Freak Book
6. The Rat Dog
7. The TiVo Guy
8. The N Word
9. The Therapist
10. The Bat Mitzvah

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Featurettes
Interviews
Outtakes
Trailers

My Thoughts:

Good, but nothing special. Seems like the series is running out of steam. But after the great fourth season ("The Producers" season) everything following has a hard time.

Rating:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:35:53 PM by TomGaines »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2008, 12:29:52 PM »
I just had to watch the two Death Note movies again  :laugh:
I have upgraded my rating for these, because I enjoyed them just as much the second time around.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2008, 10:26:11 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Smoke
Year: 1995
Director: Wayne Wang
Rating: R
Length: 112 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround , French: Dolby Digital Stereo , Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Harvey Keitel
William Hurt

Plot:
In the tradition of 'The Big Chill'... William Hurt ('Changing Lanes', 'Tuck Everlasting') and Harvey Keitel ('Pulp Fiction','U-571') head an all-star casting this unforgettably fun and entertaining motion picture! A group of people's lives intertwine when a New York cigar store manager, Auggie (Keitel), befriends them. Among them is a writer...who can't write (Hurt), a reluctant father...hiding from his past (Forest Whitaker - 'Panic Room'), a streetwise teen...with an unusual identity crisis, and Auggie's long-lost ex-girlfriend (Stockard Channing - TV's 'The West Wing', 'Life Or Something Like It')...who returns with some surprising news! Critics and audiences hailed SMOKE for its offbeat humor, unexpected wit and dazzling performances - you'll cheer it too!

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:

Well acted story around a cigar store owner. I got the impression, that they were trying to do something similar to Clerks. Could definetaly be, as the studio who bought the rights to Clerks is the same producing this picture (Miramax).

Rating:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:36:47 PM by TomGaines »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2008, 10:30:33 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Blue in the Face
Year: 1995
Director: Wayne Wang, Paul Auster
Length: 83 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround , French: Dolby Digital Stereo , Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Lou Reed
Michael J. Fox
Roseanne
Mel Gorham
Jim Jarmusch

Plot:
In the uproarious follow-up to the hit comedy 'Smoke', Harvey Keitel ('Pulp Fiction') returns with a red-hot, all-star cast that includes Michael J. Fox ('Stuart Little', TV's 'Spin City'), Roseanne (ABC-TV's 'Roseanne'), and Academy Award® winner Mira Sorvino ('Mimic', 'Replacement Killers')! It's nonstop laughs when a wacky group of locals visits the neighborhood cigar shop, looking for good times...and finding plenty of hilarious fun! But when the greedy owner threatens to close the shop for good-and turn it into a trendy vegetarian restaurant - the neighborhood proves they’ll do just about 'anything' to save their favorite hangout! Don't miss this highly original and entertaining comedy that has critics and audiences cheering!

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
OTB Boys Outtakes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:

After having done "Smoke", the directors - liking the improvisations Harvey Keitel did to get into character for his Smoke role - had the idea to use the same sets and make an impromptu movie largely based on improvisations. Shot in just 5 Days it is interesting to see what they come up with. The invited some actor friends for this (like Michael J. Fox, Roseanne, Mira Sorvino).

Rating:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:37:08 PM by TomGaines »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2008, 07:11:02 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Volume One
Year: 2002
Director:
Length: 286 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo , Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo

Plot:
Now for the first time on DVD, it's the Emmy Award Winning 2002 He-Man and the Masters of the Universe series! You have the power to re-live these first 13 episodes in this volume one of a three-volume series. Start with the three-part movie that shows how Prince Adam became He-Man as he leads Man-At-Arms, Teela, Ram Man, Buzz-Off, Mekanek and the other Masters of the Universe as they battle Skeletor, Trap Jaw, Tri-Klops, Evil-Lyn, Mer-Man and the other classic villains for control of Eternia.

This fresh take on the retro favorite delighted and entertained a new generation of fans as well as those who grew up watching the beloved series in the '80s.

Extras:
2 Masters of the Universe Collectible art cards
Commentary
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Interviews
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:

A remake of a classic 80's TV series which has done it right. It did not change the things we are familiar with all that much, but deepened the characters' background which were only hinted at in the original series. The animation is also done well. And finally it is believable that the other characters do not recognize Prince Adam as He-Man.
Too bad it only lasted 1 1/2 seasons. Probably the reason was, that this series appealed more to old fans than the new generation which was targeted to buy the new toyline. I really would have liked to see an updated version of She-Ra who was said would have come down the road.

What I found quite amusing is, that they gave Stratos a voice which sound remarkably like Sean Connery. And when Stratos said "I never thought I will see this: A dragon being on our side", I had to think of Sean Connery's movie Dragonheart ;D. I wonder if this line was intentionally a reference to Dragonheart.

Rating:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 06:40:21 PM by TomGaines »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Extras: The Extra Special Series Finale
Director: Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant
Length: 84 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo

Stars:
Ricky Gervais
Ashley Jensen
Stephen Merchant
Shaun Williamson
Shaun Pye

Plot:
'Tis the season to be jaded. at least of you're Andy Millman (Ricky Gervais). Despite the success of his highly-rated (but critically-panned) sitcom "When the Whistle Blows," Andy can't help but wonder if true artistic respectability will ever come his way.

Andy decides to take drastic measures: he fires his loyal but useless agent Darren (Stephen Merchant); pulls the plug on his hit show and turns down roles he considers "beneath him." He even lashes out at his best friend Maggie (Ashley Jensen), who admires the small measure of fame that Andy has achieved.

It isn't long before Andy begins to wonder: is success really worth it? Can he have both respect and fame? And is a man truly the sum of his parts, no matter how small they might be?

My Thoughts:

A good closure for the series. I loved how Andy hit rock bottom in form of Celebrity Big Brother :laugh:
And Andy expressed quite well at the end what is wrong with the TV landscape nowadays. And this is why I do not like to watch shows like "Deutschland sucht den Superstar" (German American Idol version), Survivor, Big Brother and co. Though I must admit I was a Big Brother watcher some years ago (I had watched season 1,2 and 4 (2000-2003) of the German Big Brother :bag:).

Rating:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:37:50 PM by TomGaines »

Najemikon

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2008, 10:03:08 PM »
A very British characteristic (and one I am ashamed of, quite frankly) is too find fault with people doing well. The Extras finale seemed to suffer a huge backlash when it was screened, with critics tripping over themselves to say how awful they thought it was. Each to their own, but I thought it was a marvellous end to the series and I'm pleased to see you liked it for what it was too.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2008, 03:05:47 PM »
I just finished watching The Office Series 1 and then Extras Season 1 Disc 1 and must say I am still in pain. I had to laugh so hard that I got aches on my sides... Really great stuff. I needed to get into it at first (episodes 1 and 2 of The Office didn't click with me right away) but then...

It is interesting to see though, when watching the Outtakes, that it doesn't come easy at all and in fact lots of tries are necessary to get it because Gervais keeps cracking up... Somebody actually criticized him for that, as he appears to be so full of himself that he mainly laughs to show the others that the stuff he wrote is really funny...(it was meant tongue in cheek though, I think).

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2008, 04:42:44 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Vampire's Kiss
Year: 1989
Director: Robert Bierman
Length: 103 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround , Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo

Stars:
Nicolas Cage
Maria Conchita Alonso
Jennifer Beals
Elizabeth Ashley
Kasi Lemmons

Plot:
Oscar® winner Nicolas Cage is "amazing" ('The New Yorker') in this outrageous, erotically charged thriller about a womanizing New York executive who becomes convinced that he's a vampire when one of his conquests bites his neck in the throes of passion. Jennifer Beals ('Devil in a Blue Dress') sizzles as the femme fatale who sets Cage on his batty course in this darkly funny, "lively, imaginative fantasy" ('Los Angeles Times')!

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:

An average movie, though it picks up at the end. Good performance by Nicholas Cage.

Rating:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:38:14 PM by TomGaines »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2008, 07:32:05 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: The Specials
Year: 2000
Director: Craig Mazin
Length: 82 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 , English: Dolby Digital Stereo , Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo , Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Jordan Ladd
Rob Lowe
Jamie Kennedy
Mike Schwartz
Thomas Haden Church
Judy Greer

Plot:
They are the sixth (okay, maybe the seventh) greatest superhero team in the entire world. At their modest suburban headquarters, The Strobe ('Sideway's' Thomas Haden Church), The Weevil(Rob Lowe), foul-mouthed Amok ('Son of the Mask's' Jamie Kennedy), Ms. Indestructible (Huff's Paget Brewster), Deadly Girl ('13 Going On 30's' Judy Greer), new member Nightbird ('Cabin Fever's' Jordan Ladd) and the rest all spend their time bickering, having extramarital affairs, and preparing for the grand unveiling of their own action figure line. But when a furious Strobe suddenly disbands the group, who will be there for the oddballs, rebels, outcasts and geeks? Before they save the world, can they save themselves? Meet THE SPECIALS!

Kelly Coffield, Michael Weatherly('Dark Angel'), Chase Masterson ('Deep Space Nine') and Melissa Joan Hart ('Sabrina') co-star in this hilarious cult hit from Craig Mazin (writer of SCARY MOVIE 3) and screenwriter James Gunn (writer of SCOOBY DOO and DAWN OF THE DEAD), now loaded with special edition extras that truly put the 'special' in THE SPECIALS!

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Photo Gallery
Trailers

My Thoughts:

A fun movie. Don't expect an action movie laden with special effects or you will be disappointed. You won't see any action in this movie and no special effects (until a little at the end of the movie). This movie is a take on the private life of some washed-up third-rate super heroes, some of them with ego problems.

Some dialog quotes:
The Weevil: I've had superpowers longer than anyone in the Specials,
  I think - which explains why I'm the only one with a Pez dispenser
  with a little me on it.

Ms. Indestructible: Every morning I look down and I'm wearing boots
  with lightning bolts on them and I think...where did I make the
  wrong turn?

The Strobe: I'm not saying the Great Strobe is better than other
  humans. I am, but that's beside the point. I can shoot laser beams
  out of my arms, that's what sets me apart. Can other humans do
  that? Can they? Can they?

Rating:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:38:53 PM by TomGaines »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2008, 10:00:15 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Return to the Batcave: The Misadventures of Adam and Burt
Year: 2004
Director: Paul A. Kaufman
Length: 90 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1

Stars:
Adam West
Burt Ward
Jack Brewer
Jason Marsden
Lyle Waggoner
Amy Acker

Plot:
When the original Batmobile is stolen, there's no time to call the police. This is a job for actors!
Thirty-five years after BATMAN went off the air, a fiendish criminal mastermind is forcing Adam West and Burt Ward to relive their legendary pasts as The Caped Crusader and The Boy Wonder. What went on when the costumes came off? The Dynamic Duo reveal the entire bizarre-but-true story through classic clips, surprise guest stars and THWAK!-filled flashbacks to the on-and-off camera controversies, scandals and ego battles behind one of the most wildly popular series in TV history!

Still-diabolical Bat-Villians Julie Newmar, Frank Gorshin and Lee Meriwether co-star along with Betty White, Curtis Armstrong and Lyle Waggoner in this reunion movie like no other, from the creators of SURVIVING GILLIGAN'S ISLAND!

My Thoughts:

Great little TV movie! On one side you get a nice reenactment of the backstage ongoings on the set of the 60's Batman. On the other side you'll get fun comedy with the older actors in the present time. I just love how Adam West nowadays embraces his past and is willing to make fun of himself (similar to what Bill Shatner is doing now).

Rating: 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 06:43:21 PM by TomGaines »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2008, 03:02:54 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: The Weird Al Show: The Complete Series
Year: 1997
Director:
Length: 295 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo , Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo

Plot:
As an inventor living in a secret subterranean workshop, Weird Al's world includes his pet (Harvey the Wonder Hamster), his superhero neighbor (The Hooded Avenger), the twisted animated "Adventures Of Fatman" and a roster of friends and guests, including: Drew Carey, Dick Clark, Dr. Demento, Stan Freberg, Teri Garr, Gilbert Gottfried, Victoria Jackson, Kevin McCarthy, Michael McKean, Bill Mumy, Patton Oswalt, Dick Van Patten, Emo Philips, Randy "Macho Man" Savage, Judy Tenuta, John Tesh, Fred Willard and Dweezil Zappa.

Plus live musical performances by Barenaked Ladies, Hanson and of course, Al himself make THE WEIRD AL SHOW a must-have, timeless delight for all his fans.

Extras:
Animated Storyboards
Commentary
Photo Gallery
'The Weird Al Show Theme' Karaoke
Trailers

My Thoughts:

This one is hard to rate. Obviously made for children but I think a lot of the jokes are beyond their heads. And as a kid's show it is sometimes hard to watch as an adult. I watched it with the mindset that it tries to lampoon average kid shows and then it's often quite fun to watch  :laugh:
Interesting to listen to are the commentaries by Weird Al and company on each episode. Like they said on the first commentary track, these recording sessions are like a therapy session for them  :laugh:. According to them they had a hard time making a show they want and to fullfill the networks requirements to make this a kid's show.

Rating:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:39:26 PM by TomGaines »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2008, 06:43:55 PM »

Title: Shrek the Third
Links: IMDb | Wikipedia

Year:2007
Director:Chris Miller
Writing:William Steig (Original Material By), Andrew Adamson (Story By), Jeffrey Price (Screenwriter), Peter S. Seaman (Screenwriter), Chris Miller (Screenwriter), Aron Warner (Screenwriter)
Rating:FSK-0
Length:89 Min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Turkish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English, German, Turkish

Stars:
Englische Stimmen
Mike Myers as Shrek (voice)
Eddie Murphy as Donkey (voice)
Cameron Diaz as Princess Fiona (voice)
Antonio Banderas as Puss In Boots (voice)
Julie Andrews as Queen (voice)

Awards:
Annie Awards2007NominatedIndividual Achievment - Directing in an Animated Feature ProductionChris Miller, Raman Hui
BAFTA2007NominatedAnimated FilmChris Miller
BMI Film & TV Music Awards2008WonBMI Film Music AwardHarry Gregson-Williams
National Movie Awards2007NominatedBest Animation Film
Saturn2007NominatedBest Animated Film
Visual Effects Society Awards2008NominatedOutstanding Animated Character in an Animated Motion PictureJohn Cleese, Guillaume Aretos, Tim Cheung, Sean Mahoney (For "King Harold")
Visual Effects Society Awards2008NominatedOutstanding Effects in an Animated Motion PictureMatt Baer, Greg Hart, Krzysztof Rostek, Anthony Field (For the effects)
World Soundtrack Awards2007NominatedBest Original Score of the YearHarry Gregson-Williams
World Soundtrack Awards2007NominatedFilm Composer of the YearHarry Gregson-Williams

Extras:
Deleted Scenes
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Not as bad as I have feared. As a matter of fact I quite liked it. There were even a few laugh-out-loud moments. The story plays more for fun than bite compared to the previous installments. The animation is simply excellent! A few times I almost forgot that I was watching an animation film.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:04:17 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2008, 11:03:36 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: The Weather Man
Year: 2005
Director: Gore Verbinski
Rating: FSK-6
Length: 98 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 , German: Dolby Digital 5.1 , Other: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Dutch, English, German, Turkish

Stars:
Nicolas Cage
Michael Caine
Hope Davis
Gemmenne De la Peña
Nicholas Hoult

Extras:
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:

Not bad, but also nothing special. Like the cover text says, it is a movie in the vain of "About Schmidt". Probably not a movie I will watch a second time.
In one of the featurettes on the disc, Nicolas Cage answered the question of why he took the role with that it is something which he has never played before (you know, the standard talk). That it was something new for him, "you know, THE weatherman!". There I thought: "Yeah, the last time you played this role, it was called "Family Man".

Rating:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:40:02 PM by TomGaines »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2008, 01:01:13 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Blades of Glory
Director: Will Speck, Josh Gordon
Rating: FSK-6
Length: 89 Min.
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1 , English: Dolby Digital 5.1 , Turkish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, German, Turkish

Stars:
Will Ferrell
Jon Heder
Will Arnett
Amy Poehler
Jenna Fischer

Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interviews
Music Videos
Outtakes
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:

I quite enjoyed this one. For some reason Will Ferrel's comedies have a certain charm to them that I like, but I can understand if someone doesn't like them. I especially liked the outrageous skating routines in this one  :laugh:

Rating:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:40:20 PM by TomGaines »