Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 857284 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #990 on: September 03, 2011, 08:37:02 PM »
     The Office: Season Seven (2010/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:
Writing:
Length:586 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:

Plot:
In the seventh season of this Primetime Emmy® Award-winning series, inappropriate behavior is business as usual, but big surprises are in store! Dwight is now the owner of the building and he may be letting this power go to his head; Andy is courting Erin, who is dating Gabe; Jim and Pam are struggling with being new parents; and a parade of ghosts of girlfriends past haunt Michael, leading to his final days at Dunder Mifflin.

Catch the antics of all 24 laugh-out-loud Season Seven episodes of "...TV's funniest half-hour" (Rick Kissell, Variety), developed for American television by Primetime Emmy® Award winner Greg Daniels. This memorable season features guest appearances from Amy Ryan (Gone Baby Gone), a cameo from Ricky Gervais (The Invention of Lying) and an unforgettable hour-long season finale with Jim Carrey (Bruce Almighty), Will Arnett (Arrested Development), Ray Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond), James Spader (Boston Legal) and Catherine Tate (Doctor Who), all vying for Michael Scott's old post. Plus, see hours of bonus features, including extended episodes, deleted scenes, bloopers, webisodes and more, in this must-own five-disc collection.

Awards:
Won:
Primetime Emmy Awards (2009)  Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series ("Stress Relief": Jeffrey Blitz)
Nominated:
Golden Globe (2009)  Actor - Television Comedy or Musical Series (Steve Carell)
Golden Globe (2010)  Best Performance by an Actor In A Television Series - Comedy Or Musical (Steve Carell)
Golden Globe (2009)  Television Series - Musical or Comedy
Primetime Emmy Awards (2009)  Outstanding Comedy Series
Primetime Emmy Awards (2010)  Outstanding Comedy Series
Primetime Emmy Awards (2009)  Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series (Steve Carell)
Primetime Emmy Awards (2010)  Outstanding Lead Actor In A Comedy Series ("The Cover Up": Steve Carell)
Primetime Emmy Awards (2009)  Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series (Rainn Wilson)
Primetime Emmy Awards (2010)  Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series ("Niagara": Greg Daniels, Mindy Kaling)
Teen Choice Awards (2009)  Choice TV Actor - Comedy (Steve Carell)
Teen Choice Awards (2009)  Choice TV Actress - Comedy (Jenna Fisher)
Teen Choice Awards (2009)  Choice TV Show: Comedy

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes
  • Webisodes

My Thoughts:
This season had a slow start, but it turned out great again. This is the season where Steve Carell left the show towards the end. The storyline they have given him to write him out of the show was the right way to go.
Also Ricky Gervais finally made two cameo appearances this season as David Brent. In the first he ran across Michael Scott and was joking with him.
The second was a Video CV where he applies for the manager job after Michael Scott left. I would have liked him interacting with the complete Office cast though.
Will Ferrell had a few episodes where he had taken over from Michael. He did a good job.
Sadly Pam and Jim didn't get a good storyline this season. I always liked their scenes together.

#EpisodeRating
01Nepotism
02Counseling
03Andy's Play
04Sex Ed
05The Sting
06Costume Contest
07Christening
08Viewing Party
09WUPHF.com
10China
11Classy Christmas
12Ultimatum
13The Seminar
14The Search
15PDA
16Threat Level Midnight
17Todd Packer
18Garage Sale
19Training Day
20Michael's Last Dundies
21Goodbye Michael
22The Inner Circle
23Dwight K. Schrute, (Acting) Manager
24Search Committee
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 08:40:43 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: September 04, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »
There is one line I forgot to mention that I really liked. It was one of the last things that Michael Scott (Steve Carell) said. He said to the camera crew, that if this is ever coming out that they should tell him. This finally answers the open question, why they never were consequences of this documentary like there was in the original The Office and the German version "Stromberg". I always guessed this was the reason but nice that it was finally addressed.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: September 04, 2011, 06:32:52 PM »
     Being Erica: Season Two (2009/Canada)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Just Bridge (Netherlands)
Director:
Writing:
Length:540 min.
Subtitles:Dutch

My Thoughts:
Another great season I enjoyed very much. I have gone on and ordered the third season now.
Some interesting direction the premise took this season. This series is definately worth to be checked out. No wonder they planning to do a UK and a US remake. I hope they manage to bring something new to the table instead being a simple rip-off.

#EpisodeRating
01Being Dr. Tom
02Battle Royale
03Mama Mia
04Cultural Revolution
05Yes We Can
06Shhh... Don't Tell
07The Unkindest Cut
08Under My Thumb
09A River Runs Through It... It Being Egypt
10Papa Can You Hear Me?
11What Goes Up Must Come Down
12The Importance of Being Erica

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: September 13, 2011, 11:32:55 PM »
     Being Erica: Season Three (2010/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Just Bridge Entertainment (Netherlands)
Director:
Writing:
Length:585 min.
Subtitles:Dutch

My Thoughts:
Another great season. In the beginning I wasn't sure I'd like the direction this season was going, but it turned out okay.
The second to last episode was a great episode, which really felt like a season finale. Including the feeling to want to see how it now continues. And I thought, great that there is another episode. I get to see it continue. But as it turned out it really was the season finale, and the last episode was a christmas special, which obviously disregarded the episode before that. It was obviously set before the finale. It's a typical special, which doesn't further the storyline and just takes the characters and setting to "teach" you the meaning of christmas. Not a bad episode, but I was left disappointed that I didn't get to the story continue.
Now I have to wait a long time to see it. The fourth (and last) season hasn't even aired yet in Canada.

#EpisodeRating
01The Rabbit Hole
02Moving On Up
03Two Wrongs
04Wash, Rinse and Repeat
05Being Adam
06Bear Breasts
07Jenny From the Block
08Physician, Heal Thyself
09Getting Wiggy With It
10The Tribe Has Spoken
11Adam's Family
12Erica, Interrupted
13Fa La Erica

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: September 13, 2011, 11:57:25 PM »
Just came to me: if you enjoy a TV series with time-traveling doctors, you should check out "Being Erica"  ;D

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: September 19, 2011, 02:43:43 PM »
Time-traveling doctors...? What is the idea being that? They go back to heal people so they don't die too early...?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 19, 2011, 06:44:21 PM »
Time-traveling doctors...? What is the idea being that? They go back to heal people so they don't die too early...?

From the overview of my first season review:
"Just as she's on the verge of despair Erica meets the mysterious therapist Dr. Tom. He offers her a solution – the opportunity of a lifetime – to go back to her past and face her greatest regrets."

(click to show/hide)

I just wanted to express, that if using the words "time-travelling doctors", it could be, that not Doctor Who, but Being Erica is meant :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:46:18 PM by Tom »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: September 20, 2011, 07:36:27 PM »
 :bag: So I obviously only skimmed the synopsis :-[

I had thought that Erica is the time traveler, instead it seems her past is explored via the doctor. I like the concept.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: September 20, 2011, 07:42:16 PM »
I had thought that Erica is the time traveler, instead it seems her past is explored via the doctor. I like the concept.
Erica travels through time but not of her own ability. The doctor sends her through time and she usually is in her "old" body (most of the time). You could say it's similar to Quantum Leap, but she revisits only her own past. The doctor himself also appears as a mentor in the past. I can really recommend it.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: September 20, 2011, 08:22:37 PM »
I have a lot of stuff to go through already, but may put in on my wish list for now. Is it drama or comedy...?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: September 20, 2011, 08:39:14 PM »
I have a lot of stuff to go through already, but may put in on my wish list for now. Is it drama or comedy...?

It's a dramedy. Like I would classify series like Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: September 20, 2011, 09:08:15 PM »
I just found out, that the first episode of season 4 of "Being Erica" (which will start airing next week) will be called "Doctor Who?" :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: September 25, 2011, 06:27:05 PM »
     My Girlfriend's Boyfriend (2010/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Splendid Film (Germany)
Director:Daryn Tufts
Writing:Daryn Tufts (Writer), Daryn Tufts (Story By), Benji Smith (Story By)
Length:84 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78
Audio:German: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles:Dutch, German

Stars:
Christopher Gorham as Ethan
Chantel Flanders as Catie
Kelly Packard as Suzy
Carol Kane as Barbara
Alyssa Milano as Jesse

Plot:
Jesse meets Ethan, someone she could finally fall in love with, but then she meets Troy, and now she has a dilemma.

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Scene Access
  • Wendecover

My Thoughts:
A rather typical romantic comedy (I expected nothing more), but I must admit that ending surprised me. It put the whole movie into a different light, something which I enjoy. For fans of Alyssa Milano I think it's safe to check this one out. It's also nice to see Michael Landes again. I am not sure if I saw him in anything since I first saw him as Jimmy Olsen in the first season of Lois & Clark (except in the short-lived series "Union Square"). Christopher Gorham was fitting as the love interest.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 25, 2011, 06:31:53 PM »
     Tron (1982/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Walt Disney Home Entertainment (Germany)
Director:Steven Lisberger
Writing:Steven Lisberger (Screenwriter), Steven Lisberger (Story By), Bonnie MacBird (Story By)
Length:92 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.20
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Commentary, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish

Stars:
Jeff Bridges as Kevin Flynn/Clu
Bruce Boxleitner as Alan Bradley/Tron
David Warner as Ed Dillinger/Sark
Cindy Morgan as Lora/Yori
Barnard Hughes as Dr. Walter Gibbs/Dumont

Plot:
A hacker is literally abducted into the world of a computer and forced to participate in gladiatorial games where his only chance of escape is with the help of a heroic security program.

Awards:
Won:
Saturn (1982)  Best Costumes (Eloise Jensson, Rosanna Norton)
Nominated:
Academy Award (1982)  Best Costume Design (Elois Jenssen, Rosanna Norton)
Academy Award (1982)  Best Sound (Michael Minkler, Bob Minkler, Lee Minkler, James LaRue)
BAFTA (1982)  Special Visual Effects (Richard Taylor, Harrison Ellenshaw)
Saturn (1982)  Best Animated Film
Saturn (1982)  Best Science Fiction Film
Young Artist Awards (1983)  Best Family Feature – Animated, Musical or Fantasy

Extras:
  • Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Infoblatt
  • Interviews
  • Photo Gallery
  • Scene Access
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
I has been a long time since I saw this one. Sadly this movie just doesn't hold up. Not only have the effects aged much more than I have remembered, the production seems rather amateurish. Even the acting is bad. The first few minutes I was not even sure, if the movie has already started, or if I am watching an amateur parody of it.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: October 03, 2011, 01:57:06 AM »
     Gantz (2010/Japan)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Sunfilm Entertainment, Tiberius Film (Germany)
Director:Shinsuke Sato
Writing:Hiroya Oku (Original Material By), Yûsuke Watanabe (Screenwriter)
Length:129 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85
Audio:German: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1
Subtitles:German

Stars:
Kazunari Ninomiya as Kei Kurono
Kenichi Matsuyama as Masaru Kato
Yuriko Yoshitaka as Tae Kojima
Kanata Hongo as Joichiro Nishi
Natsuna as Kei Kishimoto

Plot:
After trying to rescue a man on the subway tracks, two teens wake up in a room dominated by a mysterious black sphere that sends them to hunt down and kill aliens hiding on Earth.

Extras:
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • Scene Access
  • Wendecover

My Thoughts:
In short: It's a good live-action adaption of the source material (a manga). I enjoyed it.

I was surprised though how far along with the story they got here. They left out a lot of stuff to do so. I expected the second film to end around the point in the story, where the anime adaption did. But they already covered every major story point of the anime in this first film. Except of course the last few episodes of the anime, which diverged largely from the manga to conclude the story (as the manga is still ongoing).
They were even elements in this movie taken from later storylines from the manga. Mainly the second love interest, which probably will be a big part in the second movie.

Rating: