Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858581 times)

Online Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #795 on: October 30, 2010, 10:31:33 PM »
     K-20: Legend of the Mask (2008/Japan)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Sunfilm Entertainment, Tiberius Film (Germany)
Director:Sata Shimako
Writing:Sata Shimako (Writer)
Length:137 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35
Audio:German: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles:English, German

Stars:
Takeshi Kaneshiro
Takako Matsu
Toru Nakamura
Jun Kunimura
Reiko Takashima

Plot:
Its 1949 and World War II never happened. Nikola Tesla has just won a Nobel Prize rather than dying in obscurity and the Japanese Empire is an undying aristocracy where the rich sip tea out of bone china, while the poor die in the gutters. K-20, the Fiend with Twenty Faces, steals from the rich and gives to himself. But now, on the eve of the marriage between society princess, Yoko Hashiba, and chief of police, Kogoro Akechi, the fiend frames simple circus acrobat Hekichi Endo (Takeshi Kaneshiro) for his crimes and the poor sap is arrested and sentenced to death. But he escapes at the last minute and assumes the guise of K-20 in order to clear his good name.

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers
  • Wendecover

My Thoughts:
I had seen this movie at the FantasyFilmFest and did enjoy it. It drags a little and needs a little too long to really get going, but overall it's a fun movie. Although it is full of action movie clichés.
When I first saw it, for a second I thought they were going for a non-Hollywood ending, believing that it was quite possible as this one is a Japanese movie.
(click to show/hide)

Rating:

Online Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: November 02, 2010, 12:44:26 AM »
     Kung Fu Hustle (2004/China)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (Germany)
Director:Stephen Chow
Writing:Stephen Chow (Writer), Tsang Kan Cheong (Writer), Lola Huo (Writer), Chan Man Keung (Writer)
Length:99 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40
Audio:German: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Cantonese: Dolby Digital 5.1, Cantonese: PCM 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:Commentary, English, German, Turkish

Stars:
Stephen Chow as Sing
Feng Xiao Gang as Crocodile Gang Boss
Yuen Wah as Landlord
Dong Zhi Hua as Donut
Chan Kwok Kwan as Brother Sum

Plot:
In Shanghai, China in the 1940s, a wannabe gangster aspires to join the notorious "Axe Gang" while residents of a housing complex exhibit extraordinary powers in defending their turf.

Awards:
Won:
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards (2006)  Best Foreign-Language Film
Nominated:
Satellite Awards (2005)  Best Actress in a Supporting Role – Comedy or Musical (Qiu Yuen)
Satellite Awards (2005)  Best Cinematography (Hang-Sang Poon)
Satellite Awards (2005)  Best Film Editing (Angie Lam)
Satellite Awards (2005)  Best Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical
Satellite Awards (2005)  Best Sound (Editing & Mixing) (Paul Pirola)
Satellite Awards (2005)  Best Visual Effects (Frankie Chung)

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Booklet
  • Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • Outtakes
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Even though I didn't like Shaolin Soccer, I bought this movie as it is really well regarded. But I just couldn't find any interest in it. I found it boring and not slightly funny. Wasted time.

Rating:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 02, 2010, 05:43:18 AM »
Kung Fu Hustle (2004/China)

[...]

Rating:
Seeing how you disliked Shaolin Soccer I am not entirely suprised. Seems you are more tuned in to Indian films than Hong Kong cinema :laugh:

I thought it was quite alright, having a somewhat successful shot at slapstick comedy for the most part.

Online Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: November 02, 2010, 07:31:40 AM »
Not only Indian cinema, but I also am tuned into other Asian cinema. I am very much enjoying Japanese and South Korean cinema. But I seem to have problems with Hong Kong and Chinese cinema. I think big part of the problem is the language. While I enjoy listening to the Indian, Japanese and Korean language, I cannot really stand the Chinese languages.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 02, 2010, 02:21:45 PM »
Not only Indian cinema, but I also am tuned into other Asian cinema. I am very much enjoying Japanese and South Korean cinema. But I seem to have problems with Hong Kong and Chinese cinema. I think big part of the problem is the language. While I enjoy listening to the Indian, Japanese and Korean language, I cannot really stand the Chinese languages.
I was going to say "Asian" at first, but then quickly realized that
a) you like movies from other Asian countries
and even more
b) India is Asia too.

The language can be a big factor, I see where you're coming from there. In fact, while I like some, it often puts me off Korean movies. I live in Taiwan, so Chinese is all around me anyway :laugh: Of course, Cantonese and Mandarin are very different...

Online Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: November 05, 2010, 09:01:02 PM »
     Love Phobia (2006/South Korea)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(Taiwan)
Director:Ji-eun Kang
Writing:In-ho Hwang (Screenwriter)
Length:117 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio:Korean: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Korean: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:Chinese, English

Stars:
Seung-woo Cho as Jo Kang
Hye-jeong Kang as A-ri
Ju-yeon Byeon
Jin-yeong Jeong
Seok Kang

Plot:
One sunny day, a young boy named Jo Kang meets a curious young girl, dressed in a bright yellow raincoat. Jo Kang befriends the girl, Ari, and falls instantly in love her. Soon afterward, however, she disappears.

Ten years later, Ari contacts Jo Kang, now in high school, and asks to meet again. Although they have not seen each other in a decade, they have a wonderful time together, and their love begins anew. But then, Ari disappears once more, leaving Jo Kang devastated.

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Photo Gallery
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
It begins as a nice and fun romantic comedy. After it is revealed why she is behaving strangely most of the time, it drifts into a drama. I enjoyed the movie.

Rating:

Online Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: November 06, 2010, 11:29:41 AM »
     A Man Who Was Superman (2008/South Korea)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(Hong Kong)
Director:Yoon-Chul Jeong
Writing:Yoon-Chul Jeong (Screenwriter), Jin-ho Yun (Screenwriter)
Length:106 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio:Korean: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Korean: Dolby Digital 5.1

Stars:
Jeong-min Hwang as Superman
Gianna Jun as Song Soo-jung
Gil-seung Bang
Woo-hyuk Choi as Superman - child
Ji-hee Jin as Hee-jeong / Ji-yeong

Plot:
" I saw Superman, today..." And along came a strange man.
SONG Soo-jung is a producer going on her third year at a small company. Her specialty is human interest stories. She is driven to produce these shallow stories for the sake of her ambition of one day becoming Korea's own Oprah Winfrey. However, she is reaching the end of what's left of her pride. One day, after months of not getting paid, she leaves her office with the company camera to produce a story on a lion apparently refusing to eat its mean. On her way, however, she comes across a robber, but she is saved somehow by Superman in a Hawaiian shirt. "Superman" claims he's unable to tap into his supernatural powers as the bad guys have placed kryptonite inside his head. However he doesn't let that get in his way of helping others, from saving the world from global warming to saving a lost puppy. Soo-jung can see this will make a good story and, with a little tweaking and a little fabricating, she produces the Superman Saves the World documentary which goes on to be a rating hit. However, the true story behind this "Superman," including the bullet and not the kryptonite that is lodged in his brain, helps the frosty, calculating Soo-jung to awaken to what's truly important in life.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
An interesting movie. After he was involved and injured in a tragic accident, a guy thinks he is Superman. It begins rather light-hearted, when the reporter encounters him and is following him around. At first rather amused by him, she gets to know him and his motivations, which changes her.
Doesn't this guy have a slight resemplance with Dean Cain from "Lois & Clark"?

Rating:

Online Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 06, 2010, 02:05:51 PM »
     A Millionaire's First Love (2006/South Korea)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universe Laser & Video (Hong Kong)
Director:Tae-Gyun Kim
Writing:Tae-Gyun Kim (Writer)
Length:113 min.
Audio:Korean: Dolby Digital 5.1, Cantonese: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Stars:
Yong-joon Cho as Goo-ho
Bin Hyeon as Kang Jae-kyung
Do-hyeon Lee
Han-sol Lee as Myungshik
Yeon-hee Lee as Choi Eun-hwan

Plot:
An arrogant high school student who stands to inherit a fortune when he is 18 suddenly discovers the clause in his grandfather's will that he must graduate from a small high school in rural Kangwon Province. In this new school life, he finally meets a girl that he will love to...

Extras:
  • Photo Gallery
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Seems to be the current trend of the South Korean movie I am currently watching: Another movie which starts more as a comedy and gets tragic by the end. The female lead is just adorable. Another movie I have enjoyed watching.

Rating:

Online Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 06, 2010, 08:01:54 PM »
     My Girlfriend Is An Agent (2009/South Korea)
IMDb

Universe Digital Entertainment (Hong Kong)
Director:Terra Shin
Writing:Seong-il Cheon (Screenwriter)
Length:112 min.
Audio:Cantonese: Dolby Digital 5.1, Cantonese: DTS 5.1, Korean: Dolby Digital 5.1

Stars:
Ha-Neul Kim as Ahn Soo-ji
Ji-Hwan Kang as Lee Jae-joon
Elizabeth Sujin Ford as Sonya Victoria
Goutsou Iliana as Natasha Valleschkova
Nam-yeol Jang as Department chief Jo

Plot:
A Russian crime syndicate is plotting to steal a biochemical weapon from Korea and two secret agents have been appointed to stop them. Beautiful AHN Soo-ji (KIM Ha-neul) is a veteran secret agent who is fond of all forms of martial arts. LEE Jae-joon (KANG Ji-hwan) is a beginner who never been out on the field and always goof up on the job. Soo-ji and Jae-joon were once a passionate duo who split bitterly because of Soo ji's constant lying to conceal her work. Destiny brings them together again. Both of them don't know that the other is a spy. The missions are adventurous and amusing. Will they accomplish the mission or to flourish their loves? How will they choose?

Extras:
  • Featurettes
  • Photo Gallery
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
The German title for this movie is "Mr. & Mrs. Lee", an obvious reference to "Mr. & Mrs. Smith". The couple is not married in this movie, but you can cleary see where the idea to give that title is coming from.
I enjoyed this movie. It hasn't as much action as Mr. & Mrs. Smith. It focuses more on the relationship between those two characters.

Rating:

Online Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 07, 2010, 11:48:44 PM »
     The Classic (2003/South Korea)
IMDb | Wikipedia

EDKO Films (Hong Kong)
Director:Kwak Jae-young
Writing:Kwak Jae-young (Writer)
Length:133 min.
Audio:Korean: Dolby Digital 5.1, Cantonese: Dolby Digital 5.1, Korean: DTS 5.1

Stars:
Son Ye-jin as Ji-hae/Ju-hie
Jo In-seong as Sang-min
Cho Seung-woo as Jun-ho
Lee Ki-woo as Tae-su
Lee Sang-in as Su-kyeong

Plot:
Ji-hae and Soo-kyoung are attending the same university and both have a crush on Sang-min. Soo-kyoung then asks Ji-hae to do her a favor - write love letters to Sang-min. Ji-hae pours out her own feelings for him on paper, but sadly in her friend's name. One day, she finds a secret box full of her mom's first love story, which is, coincidentally, similar to her story....

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
A great love story! Both romances are executed nicely and are very touching. The actors all did a great job. Especially Son Ye-jin who played both the main character in the present and her mother in the flashback scenes.
I see that this is the fourth movie I have watched by this same director/writer, and I also had very much enjoyed the previous three movies (Cyborg She, My Sassy Girl and Windstruck). I still have one of his movies left in my unwatched pile :)

P.S.: My actual cover of my DVD release is so much nicer.

Rating:

Online Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 08, 2010, 10:30:32 PM »
     My Mighty Princess (2008/South Korea)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(Taiwan)
Director:Jae-young Kwak
Writing:Jae-young Kwak (Writer), Shinho Lee (Screenwriter)
Length:114 min.
Audio:Korean: Dolby Digital 5.1

Stars:
Min-a Shin as So-hwi
Ju-wan On as Il-yeong
Tae-hyun Cha as Pigeon Man
Jae-Sung Choi as Kap-seong
Ho-bin Jeong as Heuk-bong

Plot:
A beautiful martial arts prodigy becomes a ruthless warrior to guard the world against the evil spell.

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
After enjoying all the other movies written and directed by this guy, I thought I would finish with watching the last one I have.
I have now seen a romantic comedy, a romantic drama, a romantic fantasy, a romantic sci-fi movie and now a silly romantic martial arts movie done by him. I had my expectations lowered for this movie as the reviews for this one are not as good as for his other movies. But I have to admit that I have enjoyed it. The lead actress (Min-a Shin from "The Beast and the Beauty") is just adorably funny in this one. Although I do not really like the last fifteen minutes or so. It seems a little like the movie forgot all about what it has been until then and completely forgot to resolve all the other storylines besides her having to battle some nemesis.

Rating:

Online Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 11, 2010, 09:37:33 PM »
     Volcano High (2001/South Korea)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Mega Star Video (Hong Kong)
Director:Tae-Gyun Kim
Writing:Tae-Gyun Kim (Writer), Dong-heon Seo (Writer)
Length:100 min.
Audio:Korean: Dolby Digital 5.1, Korean: DTS 5.1

Stars:
Hyuk Jang as Kim Kyeong-su
Min-a Shin as Yu Cha-i
Su-ro Kim as Jang Ryang
Sang-woo Kwon as Song Hak-lim
Hyo-jin Kong as So Yo-seon

Plot:
One day a student, Kim Kyung-soo, is transferred to Volcano High, a school that boasts 108 years of history, yet is completely unknown to ordinary people; a school that is only known to the highest masters of martial arts.
Kim's been thrown out of eight schools in a row for not being able to control his inherent supernatural powers. This time, he is determined to graduate, no matter what it takes. However, strange events resolve around Kim from his first day at school. Will he be able to graduate as planned while being swept up into the fierce battle to become top fighting master at Volcano High?

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
One to miss. I found it boring for the most part and I just didn't like the direction. All the scenes are just too over the top and there doesn't really seem to be story behind it at all. I expected something more along the line of Sky High.
One of the main cast is the star from "My Mighty Princess". She really looked a lot like Kristin Kreuk in this one.

Rating:

Online Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 11, 2010, 11:47:08 PM »
     100 Days With Mr. Arrogant (2003/South Korea)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Winson Entertainment (Hong Kong)
Director:Dong-yeob Shin
Writing:Dong-yeob Shin (Writer)
Length:96 min.
Audio:Korean: Dolby Digital 5.1

Stars:
Jae-Won Kim as Lee Hyeong-jun
Ji-won Ha as Kang Ha-yeong
Tae-hyeon Kim as Yeong-eun
Min Han as Hyeon-ju
Chang-wan Kim as Ha-yeong's Father

Plot:
Ha-young is a third year high school student who has dumped by her younger boyfriend just before their anniversary, she furiously kicks a can on the road. The can hits an expensive car owned by Ha-joon. Ha-joon demands compensation of 3 million won and Ha-young, who has no way of paying back that kind of money, unwillingly enters into a contract that binds her to Hyung-joon for 100 days. She is forced to clean the house, wash his car, and a lot more things that are far worse than studying. She bears everything at the thought of the scratch she made to the car, but then she finds out that it can be fixed with just 100,000 won. Ha-young turns into an incarnation of revenge......

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I quite enjoyed this one. Just a fun light-hearted romantic comedy. I have seen this mentioned a few times as a recommendation for a South Korean comedy. It had some really funny moments in it. A few of those I found quite daring.

Rating:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 12, 2010, 05:59:51 AM »
Tom, I was wondering why most your Korean films are on Hong Kong DVDs. Do the Korean ones not have English subtitles or are they just harder to get?

Online Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: November 12, 2010, 07:12:10 AM »
Tom, I was wondering why most your Korean films are on Hong Kong DVDs. Do the Korean ones not have English subtitles or are they just harder to get?

Korean DVDs are usually more expensive and also hard to get. It seems these are usually not re-released. Also the Hong Kong releases I bought were almost all on sale. If you took eight of these, then each was only $7.99.