Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 857250 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #690 on: June 26, 2010, 07:44:28 PM »

Title: Curb Your Enthusiasm: Season Seven
Year: 2009
Director:
Rating: TV-MA
Length: 317 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Larry David
Jerry Seinfeld
Jason Alexander
Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Michael Richards

Plot:
Larry David leads a troubled life — he's got a high-maintenance girlfriend he'd like to dump, an ex-wife he'd love to win back, fed up friends, and offended celebrities wishing him physical harm. So how can he turn it all around?

See Larry woo a paraplegic, offend a midriff-baring assistant, bludgeon a pet swan, and let loose on nine-year-olds, all while planning the much anticipated Seinfeld reunion. Will reviving his former show bring Larry's old life back as well...or only invite more problems?

Awards:
Primetime Emmy Awards2008NominatedOutstanding Casting for a Comedy SeriesAllison Jones
Primetime Emmy Awards2008NominatedOutstanding Comedy SeriesLarry David , Jeff Garlin , Gavin Polone , Alec Berg , David Mandel , Jeff Schaffer , Tim Gibbons , Erin O'Malley
Primetime Emmy Awards2008NominatedOutstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy SeriesShelley Berman
Primetime Emmy Awards2008NominatedOutstanding Picture Editing for a Comedy Series (Single or Multi-Camera)"The Bat Mitzvah": Steven Rasch

Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Closed Captioned
Featurettes
Interviews

My Thoughts:
The closest we will ever get to a Seinfeld reunion. Larry David (who was the co-creator and executive producer on Seinfeld) is organizing a Seinfeld reunion show. This season was the most fun since season four where Larry David was cast by Mel Brooks in a "The Producers" stage production.
We get all four Seinfeld cast members back and even Wayne Knight (Newman) and Estelle Harris (George's mother) appear. And they have rebuild two sets of the Seinfeld series. Jerry's apartment and the diner.
When they are playing the Seinfeld characters on these sets, it is hard to believe that already ten years have past since the Seinfeld finale. Seeing these scenes you can very well image them doing another full season without big differences to the old series.

Here the final few minutes of the last episode where we see the final product of the Seinfeld shooting (spoilers!):

#EpisodeRating
01Funkhouser's Crazy Sister
02Vehicular Fellatio
03The Reunion
04The Hot Towel
05Denise Handicap
06The Bare Midriff
07The Black Swan
08Officer Krupke
09The Table Read
10Seinfeld
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 06:39:48 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 26, 2010, 08:31:51 PM »

Title: Up
Year: 2009
Director: Pete Docter
Rating: U
Length: 96 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Dutch: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Flemish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Hungarian: Dolby Digital 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: Dutch, English, French, Hungarian

Stars:
Ed Asner
Christopher Plummer
Jordan Nagai
Bob Peterson
Delroy Lindo

Plot:
From the revolutionary minds of Pixar Animation Studios and the acclaimed director of Monsters, Inc. comes a hilariously uplifting adventure where the sky is no longer the limit.

Carl Fredricksen, a retired balloon salesman, is part rascal, part dreamer who is ready for his last chance at high-flying excitement. Tying thousands of balloons to his house, Carl sets off to the lost world of his childhood dreams. Unbeknownst to Carl, Russell, an overeager 8-year-old Wilderness Explorer who has never ventured beyond his backyard, is in the wrong place at the wrong time - Carl's front porch!
The world's most unlikely duo reach new heights and meet fantastic friends like Dug, a dog with a special collar that allows him to speak, and Kevin, a rare 13-foot-tall flightless bird. Stuck together in the wilds of the jungle, Carl realises that somtimes life's biggest adventures aren't the ones you set out looking for.

Up reaches new heights with a pristine picture, theatre-quality sound and hours of never-before-seen bonus features available only on Blu-ray™ Hi-Def.
It's an adventure that will send your spirits soaring!

Awards:
Academy Award2009WonBest Animated Feature FilmPeter Docter
Academy Award2009WonBest Music, Original ScoreMichael Giacchino
Academy Award2009NominatedBest PictureJonas Rivera
Academy Award2009NominatedBest Sound EditingMichael Silvers, Tom Myers
Academy Award2009NominatedBest Writing, Original ScreenplayBob Peterson, Pete Docter. Story by Pete Docter, Bob Peterson, Thomas McCarthy
American Film Institute Awards2009WonMovies of the Year
Annie Awards2009NominatedBest Animated EffectsEric Froemling
Annie Awards2009WonBest Animated Feature
Annie Awards2009NominatedBest Character Animation in a Feature ProductionDaniel Nguyen
Annie Awards2009NominatedBest Character Design in a Feature ProductionDaniel Lopez Munoz
Annie Awards2009WonBest Directing in a Feature ProductionPete Docter
Annie Awards2009NominatedBest Music in a Feature ProductionMichael Giacchino
Annie Awards2009NominatedBest Storyboarding in a Feature ProductionPeter Sohn
Annie Awards2009NominatedBest Storyboarding in a Feature ProductionRonnie Del Carmen
Annie Awards2009NominatedBest Writing in a Feature ProductionPete Docter, Bob Peterson, Tom McCarthy
BAFTA2009WonAnimated Film
BAFTA2009WonMusicMichael Giacchino
BAFTA2009NominatedOriginal ScreenplayPete Docter, Bob Peterson
BAFTA2009NominatedSoundTom Myers, Michael Silvers, Michael Semanick, Doc Kane
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2010WonBest Animated Feature
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2010WonBest ComposerMichael Giacchino
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2010NominatedBest Picture
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2010NominatedBest Screenplay, OriginalBob Peterson, Pete Docter
Golden Globe2009NominatedAnimated Film
Golden Globe2010WonAnimated Film
Golden Globe2009NominatedOriginal Score - Motion PictureMichael Giacchino
Golden Globe2010WonOriginal Score - Motion PictureMichael Giacchino
Hugo Award2010NominatedDramatic Presentation, Long Form
National Board of Review Awards, USA2009WonBest Animated Feature
Scream Awards2009NominatedBest DirectorPete Docter, Bob Peterson
Scream Awards2009NominatedBest Fantasy ActorEd Asner
Scream Awards2009NominatedBest Fantasy Movie
Scream Awards2009NominatedBest Scream-PlayBob Peterson, Pete Docter, Thomas McCarthy
Scream Awards2009NominatedThe Ultimate Scream
Teen Choice Awards2009WonChoice Summer Movie - Comedy
World Soundtrack Awards2009NominatedFilm Composer of the YearMichael Giacchino

Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interviews
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I really like the first half of this movie. Great introductions of the characters. But as with the first time I have watched it in the cinema, I felt it lost something from the moment "Kevin" appears. And then shortly after with all the talking dogs. It's a little too ridiculous even for a movie where a house flies with balloons. But still the second half is worth watching. Some great action scenes, which were even better in 3D.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #692 on: June 26, 2010, 08:54:13 PM »
I think it could have stood being more ridiculous! A lot of people seem to dismiss it as a film of two halves, yet I don't. It's kind of a metaphor for his state of mind. You can also see it as a kind of Alice in Wonderland setup too.

By the way, I found this earlier on Facebook. Someone has made a music track just using sounds from Up. It gets annoying, but it is clever. Also, rather spoiler-ific if you watch it closely, so beware, newbies!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 26, 2010, 10:26:26 PM »

Title: The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Year: 2005
Director: Robert Rodriguez
Rating: U
Length: 89 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Dutch, English, Hindi, Italian

Stars:
Taylor Lautner
Taylor Dooley
Cayden Boyd
George Lopez
David Arquette
Kristen Davis

Plot:
Another family adventure from the hit-making director of 'Spy Kids', "The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl" is nonstop fun and stars Hollywood favorites David Arquette, Kristin Davis and George Lopez. Everyone always knew that Max had a 'wild' imagination...but no one believed that his wildest creations - a boy raised by watchful great white sharks and a girl with the force of a volcano - were real! Now, these two pint-sized action masters will show Max that even an ordinary kid has what it takes to be extraordinary! Even the smallest dreamers can become the biggest heroes in this entertaining motion picture!

Awards:
Young Artist Awards2006NominatedBest Performance in a Feature Film (Comedy or Drama) – Leading Young ActorTaylor Lautner
Young Artist Awards2006NominatedBest Performance in a Feature Film (Comedy or Drama) – Leading Young ActressTaylor Dooley

Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
A very silly movie. In huge part a total rip-off of "Neverending Story". But it is fun, for what it is. Sharkboy is totally ridiculous, but Lavagirl is an interesting character. Her search for her true nature makes for good character moments (as good as it gets in a film like this). The special effects are below average for the most part, though there are some exceptions.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 27, 2010, 12:20:10 AM »

Title: Zoom: Academy for Superheroes
Year: 2006
Director: Peter Hewitt
Rating: PG
Length: 85 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Dutch, English, Hindi, Italian

Stars:
Tim Allen
Courteney Cox
Chevy Chase
Spencer Breslin
Kevin Zegers

Plot:
Buckle up and prepare for a ride that's out of this world! When Earth is threatened with imminent destruction, an out-of-shape, out-of-work and over-the-hill former superhero is called back into action to save the day.

That hero is Jack Sheppard a.k.a "Captain Zoom" (Tim Allen). The problem is he's lost all his powers. And now, it's up to General Larraby (Rip Torn) and Dr. Grant (Chevy Chase) to coax him into taking one more mission: train a ragtag bunch of kids with amazing superpowers of their own. With help from the brainy Marsha Holloway (Courteney Cox), they'll learn to work as a team and harness their powers to battle an evil menace who's determined to make one seriously huge mess of life as we know it.

Awards:
Golden Raspberry Awards2006NominatedWorst ActorTim Allen
Young Artist Awards2007NominatedBest Performance in a Feature Film – Young Actress Age Ten or YoungerRyan Newman

Extras:
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I cannot believe that this movie has such a bad rep. I really enjoyed it. It was much more fun than expected. Little Cindy is a riot. Also the rest of the cast is fun to watch. And why was Tim Allen nominated for worst actor? He was perfect for the role of a washed-up superhero. Reminded me a little of his role in Galaxy Quest.

Rating:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #695 on: June 27, 2010, 12:28:59 AM »
I didn't think Zoom was to bad either when I caught it on TV last year. Fun but nothing new and I would consider buying really really cheap used. I gave it a 2.5/5

I have The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in my 'pile' IIRC. Good reviews, thanks.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 27, 2010, 12:33:25 AM »
I have The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in my 'pile' IIRC.

Don't expect much from this one. After watching Zoom now, I have to say that Sharkboy and Lavagirl is very much below that. I would say that Sharkboy and Lavagirl is for kids, whereas Zoom is for the whole family.

Rogmeister

« Reply #697 on: June 27, 2010, 12:35:35 AM »
Courteney Cox is in this?  :o  I either forgot that or never realized it.  I will probably have to order it now.  I'm thinking of placing an order soon so I may include it if it's cheap.  Unfortunately, I've never found it in a local bargain bin.  I wonder if I could make an order with a Friends theme?  Probably not...I don't recall Matt LeBlanc or David Schwimmer doing anything lately (I think Schwimmer is doing more directing than acting now).  I was considering ordering some more western TV series so I could just toss this in as an extra...  :D

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 27, 2010, 12:36:47 AM »
Fun but nothing new and I would consider buying really really cheap used.

The triple movie pack I got goes for £1.39 new at Amazon.co.uk marketplace. I think it was money well spent. Zoom alone was worth it.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 27, 2010, 12:39:19 AM »
I don't recall Matt LeBlanc or David Schwimmer doing anything lately (I think Schwimmer is doing more directing than acting now).

The last thing I remember David Schwimmer seeing in is in Curb Your Enthusiasm: Season 4. He is playing himself and in the storyline he is cast together with Larry David in Mel Brooks' The Producer stage production.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #700 on: June 27, 2010, 12:47:11 AM »
Fun but nothing new and I would consider buying really really cheap used.

The triple movie pack I got goes for £1.39 new at Amazon.co.uk marketplace. I think it was money well spent. Zoom alone was worth it.

Even so, I already own Thunderbirds aswell, so as far as buying a triple pack for it I'll pass. I did order it right this minute from CeX though for £1.00 delivered (used), along with the 1935 movie The Informer which I had in my basket most the day with nothing else to pair it with to reach the £2 free shipping limit. I completely forgot Kate Mara was in it.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #701 on: June 27, 2010, 02:01:52 AM »
I really liked Zoom when I saw it too.  Yes it is a bit silly at times...but the silliness works for the movie and helps to make it more entertaining.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: June 27, 2010, 03:43:06 AM »
Was't Schwimmer in a film with Simon Pegg. Run Fatboy Run, maybe?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 27, 2010, 09:53:50 AM »
Was't Schwimmer in a film with Simon Pegg. Run Fatboy Run, maybe?

He was the director of that film.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 27, 2010, 09:37:33 PM »

Title: Thunderbirds
Year: 2004
Director: Jonathan Frakes
Rating: PG
Length: 91 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Brady Corbet
Sophia Myles
Ben Kingsley
Bill Paxton
Vanessa Anne Hudgens

Plot:
Saving is a full-time job for ex-astronaut Jeff Tracy, his four eider sons and their five incredible machines: the Thunderbirds. Together they form International Rescue, a top secret organisation the world relies upon.

But today, they are under threat: their arch enemy The Hood has trapped them in space and taken over their hi-tech crafts and technology for his own evil purposes. Unbeknown to The Hood though, Alan the youngest Tracy boy, is still on their secret island. But does he have what it takes to save his family... and the world?

Directed by Jonathan Frakes (Star Trek Insurrection; Star Trek: First Contact) and starring Ben Kingsley (Schindler's List, Gandhi), Bill Paxton (Apollo 13, Twister) and Anthony Edwards (E.R.), Thunderbirds blasts into action with extraordinary vehicles and brave young heroes.

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Interactive Game
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
As a kid I sometimes watched the original series when I happen to catch it on TV, but I never really followed it. This movie, though having good effects and good production values, is nothing remarkable. The problem with it is, that it seems solely targeted at kids, and not to the now adult fans of the original series.
The looks of Lady Penelope very much reminded me of Sarah from Chuck. Although she is played by Sophia Miles who I know from Outlander.

Rating: