Author Topic: Bailey On: The Complete Series (1968-1973) R2 United Kingdom  (Read 913 times)

samuelrichardscott@yahoo.

The Film:
Looking at the title of the set, some people may think that Bailey On: The Complete Series is a multi-disc set with many episodes. Thankfully, you'd be wrong as this single disc three episode (all that was made) set is made by pretentious idiots, for pretentious idiots. I don't recall the last thing I watched that made me want to thump the TV extremely hard and risk breaking my hand, and losing my no claims premium on my house insurance, but it must've been a long time ago.

For those that don't know, the Bailey in the title is David Bailey, renowned photographer of the stars who became a member of the 'exclusive' Royal Photography Society. He has done photo shoots for various issues of Vogue (UK and abroad), directed a few films, held over 24 exhibitions and had more than 20 books published. I commend the guy on what he has achieved in his life and in this three episode series, he interviews some of his closest friends including Mick Jagger (didn't hate him before? you will now), Twiggy, Helmut Berger, Penelope Tree, David Hockney and Lord Lichfield about pop art legend Andy Warhol, photographer Cecil Beaton and Italian director Luchino Visconti. The subjects are interesting enough, but unfortunately the shows lack 'real' information about these people and instead contains some of the worst interviews seen where it is all "I eat at the Ivy and I'm best friends with Tara Palmer Tompkinson" like. If they could just be a bit more informative, my whole perceptive of this show would've been very different, but as it is I would only recommend this rubbish if you are an arty farty type from London who has art exhibitions only visited by fashion designers and Gilly Cooper like wine experts.

The DVD:
Video:
Network have provided a below average transfer for this disc which suffers from a large amount of damage, from a lot of grain, to huge scratches running vertically down the screen. The colours also seem very washed out and there was some colour bleeding. All in all, it was a poor effort which is similar to a VHS that has been watched fifty times. Presented in the OAR of 4:3.

Audio:
The original English track in Dolby Digital mono has been included on the disc. The sound levels were occasionally inconsistent, most notably where the picture also appeared to be damaged. It is adequate, but again, below average.

Extras:
We have been given a newly made bonus episode entitled Bailey On Bailey, which is actually better than the rest of the tripe on the disc. I really didn't want to watch it but as you work through it, he has a certain charm about him and he is actually pretty interesting. Probably a single watch will suffice, and it isn't worth buying the disc for this.