Author Topic: Who likes Comics?  (Read 14504 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Who likes Comics?
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2010, 04:09:57 AM »
I saw a little of the trailer for Green Lantern this evening.  It looks cool.

Rogmeister

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2010, 04:54:33 AM »
Really?  Where did you see it...on TV or at a site like YouTube?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2010, 05:48:38 AM »
During Entertainment Tonight.  I'm not sure if it is online..hmm..hold on.

Here it is...it is only 30 seconds.  Entertainment Tonight is supposed to have more about the movie on Tuesday's show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIcXzKHLJMg

I couldn't get the embedding to work, so that's just the link.

Rogmeister

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »
Thanks, Marie.

Yesterday I received the most expensive book I've ever bought...it's also the largest.  It's over 700 pages but by largest, I was talking about the dimensions.  I'm not sure just how tall it is but it's got to be around a foot and a half tall if not more.  It's also very heavy and it comes in it's own box.  The book is titled 75 Years of DC Comics: The Art of Modern Mythmaking.  It has nice heavy pages, every one containing art from comics all in full color.  This book lists for an even $200 but by ordering from Amazon.com, I got it for a thrifty $126!  :whistle:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2010, 04:48:46 AM »
Sounds like a nice book.

Oh..buy the way..the full Green Lantern trailer is out.  Someone posted it in the thread for must see movies of 2011.

Najemikon

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2012, 01:24:32 AM »
In the past I've tried to tell you how British comics, specifically 2000ad, are the best in the world and how you should look some up. Well 2000ad Online are having a sale and they've got the complete Halo Jones for a fiver!  :o

http://shop.2000adonline.com/products/ballad_of_halo_jones

Amongst others of course, but Halo Jones, written by Alan "Watchmen" Moore is simply awesome, so that's as good a link as any.  :thumbup:

Rogmeister

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2012, 06:47:05 AM »
I've bought some comics things for a change.  I picked up 100 Sexiest Women In Comic Books...Red Sonja was #1.  Then I started getting some more Showcase Presents volumes which are usually over 500 pages long reprinting comic book stories in black & white.  Ever read the original Dial H For Hero?  that's one I have coming.

BigTim

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2012, 10:35:44 AM »
Never got into many. I have the "Death of Superman" series... but primarily I have every "ASH" Comic and related "ASH" Comic like Seven Sisters...  Always looking to expand my horizons...   Anything you can recommend Rog?

Rogmeister

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2012, 03:34:14 PM »
I stopped reading comics regularly around the year 2000 so I buy only reprints when I do pick something up.  If you like the big superheroes, you might want to pick up a DC/Marvel crossover trade paperback.  I guess others will have to provide more recent recommendations.

Rogmeister

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2012, 03:56:49 AM »
Since my last post I've bought more comic reprints than Blu-rays.  I've bought a number of Marvel Masterworks, concentrating on the titles that feature my favorite Golden Age character from Timely: The Human Torch.  I got all four volumes of All Winners Comics and all the volumes available so far of The Human Torch and Marvel (Mystery) Comics.  I've also bought some more DC Archives, concentrating on Golden Age era stories except for the tenth volume of Justice League Archives.

I've also started to buy new comics again, for the first time since around 2000.  I've decided to buy 22 regular titles to begin with, all DC titles.  I've not gotten around to reading most of what I've bought so far, though.  One title I was going to get...Wonder Woman...I have decided to drop because I just don't like the artwork.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2013, 09:33:17 PM »
In recent months I added a number of trade paperbacks to my collection (aside from the monthly issues I get):

Hopefully this year I also get Secret Identity which is due in April.

This is the story that set the "New 52" in motion.

This is the story (written by THE Kevin Smith) that brought Green Arrow back from the dead.

A new and different take on The Avengers.

Doctor Who meets Star Trek: The Next Generation. The Borg meet the Cybermen.

Contains both stories where first Captain Stacy dies and later on then Peter Parker's first love Gwen Stacy.

I actually got this book because it was discussed in a recent episode of Comic Book Men (if you get AMC, check it out!) and I thought the basic plot sounded interesting. When I'm done with the Stacys, I'm going to read it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:30:01 AM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2013, 11:54:07 PM »
Cool Dj! Looks like a few cool magazines there! I too love Comic magazines! So my quastion is simple. Where do you buy yours? Do you get them somewhere online? I've bought a few where i live, but its really hard to get a hold of here where i live.
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2013, 02:33:48 AM »
I get my subscription comics from a small store in Berlin.

The trade paperbacks I simply get from Amazon. But since the local search is often of no use, I got to Amazon.com, search for the title I want, e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Secret-Identity-Kurt-Busiek/dp/1401204511/ and then I edit the Domain and simply switch from .com to .de http://www.amazon.de/Superman-Secret-Identity-Kurt-Busiek/dp/1401204511/
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2013, 01:34:14 PM »
Ah, cool! Thanks, i will take a look :) See if i find anything cool ;)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2013, 03:09:07 PM »
The trade paperbacks I simply get from Amazon. But since the local search is often of no use

Just for clarification: The Amazon.de search is just as fine as the Amazon.com search. But english books or especially english comics are probably not in the optimized search patterns Amazon uses. So it's easier to go to the "native market", search for the item and since the ID is globally unique (ASIN = Amazon Standard Item Number, their own EAN/UPC if you will) and then switch back to the german website with the correct ID in tow.
Karsten