Author Topic: Is DvD/Blu-ray Collecting Dying?  (Read 3044 times)

VirtualScot

Is DvD/Blu-ray Collecting Dying?
« on: January 11, 2014, 09:30:28 PM »
Does it seem now like DvD/Blu-ray collecting is now slowly becoming more a niche as the years go on? Certainly feels that way to me. But i can't complain picking up some great stuff in my local charity shops. One mans trash is another mans treasure  ;D

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Is DvD/Blu-ray Collecting Dying?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 10:37:14 PM »
Hm, is it? Maby it is. Havent thought about actually. I too like to get some great deals for cheap. But in my town where i live (A small town with close to 50K people) we only have a couple of stores left that sells DvD's and Blu's.. :\
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 05:00:24 AM »
I think you are right VirtualScot .. and I think it is much to do with the 'digital life' we are moving towards.  I was watching the news the other night (not something I would suggest for the sane mind) and they did a report of a town here in oregon where one of the library was completly converted over to digital.  There will no longer be any BOOKS but they will checkout a tablet or all reading in house will be on computers.  Of course it is a great windfall for Apple but for the lovers of books it is a slippery slope to the time where there will be no books to hold in your hands.  Yeah .. the digital world and "the cloud"  Wont it be nice when it is all controlled for us .. along with the decision of what is available.  Yeah books controlled from Texas.
Thank you
David

MEJHarrison

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 07:20:43 PM »
...they did a report of a town here in oregon...

Wait, you're here in Oregon?  Let me look up your profile...  You're in Tigard? :o

I'm just down the street.  I've lived in Beaverton for the past dozen years, but this last move pushed me into Portland proper.  But I'm just down where Cedar Hills Blvd. crosses Cornell.  Over around the St. Vincent's area.  How strange that I've never noticed. :hmmmm:

And yes, I think collecting is dying too.  A trip to any local store makes that fairly obvious.  What was once shelf space for little discs is slowly getting consumed for other products.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »
 :laugh: Small world, eh Mark?

Yes, I believe that it is dying... more so because of the number of tablets and phones being constantly used. Instead of storing an entire collection, whether you stream or store, you can take all of your movies everywhere.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:46:35 PM »
Yeah, I knew there was a member or two here in the Northwest.  But I never realized one of those people was about 15 minutes away. :-[

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 11:35:16 PM »
...they did a report of a town here in oregon...

Wait, you're here in Oregon?  Let me look up your profile...  You're in Tigard? :o

I'm just down the street.  I've lived in Beaverton for the past dozen years, but this last move pushed me into Portland proper.  But I'm just down where Cedar Hills Blvd. crosses Cornell.  Over around the St. Vincent's area.  How strange that I've never noticed. :hmmmm:

And yes, I think collecting is dying too.  A trip to any local store makes that fairly obvious.  What was once shelf space for little discs is slowly getting consumed for other products.
Cool .. i grew up in Aloha .. Yep .. life is funny
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 11:38:06 PM »
:laugh: Small world, eh Mark?

Yes, I believe that it is dying... more so because of the number of tablets and phones being constantly used. Instead of storing an entire collection, whether you stream or store, you can take all of your movies everywhere.
Well I would put ** around the word all :).  I remember hearing an add for iPod where they were saying you could put your entire collection on one.  Now if they just had a 1.2tb iPod :)

But you are right .. this is part of the digital age.  Luckily dinos like myself will tilt at those windmills :)
Thank you
David