Author Topic: Addicted2dvd's Random TV Series Watched  (Read 248032 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Addicted2dvd's Random TV Series Watched
« on: December 19, 2007, 10:34:39 AM »
I felt I needed a place to talk about all the random TV Series I watch as I watch them. I don't really consider these actual reviews... but I do give my basic thoughts on them... so thought I would put it here. If you think it fits better elsewhere Touti, please feel free to move the topic. Anyway... here is what I been watching lately...

Supernatural: Season 2 (Discs 5-6)
THEY'RE BACK -- THE GHOULS AND VAMPIRES, THE GHOSTS and spirits -- and even more terrifying entities. And wherever these evil beings are, you'll find brothers Sam and Dean Winchester, hunters on the trail of the demon who murdered their mother...and of any other unholy agent of the 'Supernatural'.

At the end of Season 1, Sam, Dean and their father were trapped in a twisted mass of metal and shattered glass. This season begins with the aftermath of that car crash and a shocking sacrifice that cements the bond between the Winchester men forever. Join the brothers in their mind-bending, bone-chilling Season 2 road trip across America -- a journey deeper into the mystery of their own destinies.

My Thoughts:
This is a series I have loved since the first episode. I am sure that is not surprising as big of a horror fan is. All the episodes on these 2 last discs of the set were great... enjoyed every one of them. Now I can finally start on the third season which I was recording onto my cable box each week until I finished watching the season 2 episodes over again.

(DJ Doena: thread title edited for better identification on the home page)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 12:23:06 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What I Been Watching...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 07:40:34 PM »

The Veil
The Veil, a spine-tingling television series devoted to the paranormal, stars Boris Karloff as the show's host. Hailed as one of the greatest television series that was never aired. The Veil, unfortunately, never made to the small screen due to the financial problems of the show's film company. Television buff's that enjoy tension and suspense will delight in these thrilling episodes chock full of surprising twists and unexpected turns.

Also in for an exciting treat are Boris Karloff fans who will enjoy watching the veteran horror icon assume several diverse roles including: a comically inept British sergeant, an elderly gentleman confined to a wheelchair who is guarding a terrible secret, and a psychiatrist at the Bellevue Hospital in New York. The stories Karloff tells revolve around such supernatural phenomens as messages from beyond the grave, psychic premonitions, and other paranormal events. These hair-raising tales will have you on the edge of your seat in disbelief over the freaky phenomens before your very eyes...and wondering if they're true!

My Thoughts:
This is a classic TV Series that I guess was never meant to be. As the plot says... it is a TV Series that Boris Karloff did that never got it's funding to air. This is a Twilight Zone type show With Boris Karloff hosting. So far I only watched 2 episodes... and while I definitely enjoyed them.. I don't consider them quite as good as the episodes I have seen of Twilight Zone. There is one thing that I do like on these episodes though... that is the fact that Boris Karloff has a part in all the stories... so he is not only the host... but the main actor in each one. I really liked that concept... just wish it would have gotten it's funding... as I do think it would have went a long ways.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 11:51:46 AM »

Reba: Season 1 (Disc 1)
When your husband of twenty years divorces you for a woman half his age, it's time to move on to Plan B. For Reba Hart (Reba McEntire), that means not only accepting that her marriage is over, but also accepting that her ex's new wife is pregnant. If that isn't disruptive enough, Reba learns that her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant too. So it's out with the old and in with the new as hubby leaves and son-in-law arrives. With all the outrageous domestic obstacles thrown in her path, Reba realizes one thing for sure: life will never be the same in this dysfunctional household!

My Thoughts:
Well... I just finished watching the first 8 episodes of this series. I did see 1 or 2 episodes of this series before... but never enough to do more then get my curiosity up about it. Now seeing it from the very beginning I must say I am hooked on this sitcom. This is the first sitcom I have seen that literally every episode (so far) had me laughing out loud. Reba McEntire does an outstanding job.... I just love her character in this show... ready to tell it like it is no matter who she is talking to... with a touch of her sense of humor added in. Actually I like most all the characters on this show... other then Barbara Jean.., for some reason she just rubs me the wrong way. But she is a great character for Reba to poke fun at.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »

Masters of Horror: The V Word
For two geeky best friends who’ve only experienced carnage via their video games, it’s the ultimate late night dare: Ever seen a real dead guy? But when the pair breaks into a creepy local mortuary, they unleash a ferocious ghoul (Michael Ironside of SCANNERS and STARSHIP TROOPERS ) who’s hungry to share a few depraved urges of his own. Even if these pals-for-life can resist a violent suburban blood-spree, is there any peer pressure more horrific than that of the undead? Jodelle Ferland of SILENT HILL co-stars in this grisly twist on teenage vampirism written by series creator Mick Garris.

My Thoughts:
This is an episode I just got for Christmas.... so it is the first time I ever seen it. But being a huge fan of Vampire movies I been looking forward to this episode since I first found out about it. After watching "The V Word" I can with certainty say that this is my favorite episode of the series so far (with only 2 episodes I have never seen yet). This could partially be because of my love of vampire movies... but it is definitely more then that. I really liked the main 2 characters in the film... they actually reminded me of my best friend and I from my teen years. Of course this episode does play with the vampire legend some. Not saying that is a bad thing... seems like a lot of vampire stories do now. But in this episode there is no fangs... and they do have a reflection in mirrors... but I got to admit... I got mixed signals on whether they have to be invited into your house to come in.... in one scene a person just turned into a vampire was begging to be let in... but yet in another scene they just freely walked into someone's house. Anyway... this is a great episode... with a fair amount of gore. I definitely recommend checking out "The V Word".
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 04:08:26 PM »

Bones: Season 2 (Disc 1)
Television's sexiest investigative duo - forensic anthropologist Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan (Emily Deschanel) and FBI Special Agent Seely Booth (David Boreanaz) - is back, combining her uncanny ability to decipher clues found hidden in the remains of victims, his hard-hitting investigative techniques, and state-of-the-art forensic technology to solve some of the most baffling and bizarre crimes ever.

In Season Two, as Brennan gets a new boss and takes on a new partner, tensions mount, passions flare and a shocking conspiracy forces her to confront her troubled past. Packed with intrigue, drama, and just the right touch of dark humor, Bones is the show that has it all!

Episodes:
1. The Titan on the Tracks
2. The Mother and Child in the Bay
3. The Boy in the Shroud
4. The Blonde in the Game

My Thoughts:
This is a series that became one of my favorites from the pilot episodes. All the episodes on this disc was very good... but my favorite on this disc would have to be "The Mother and Child in the Bay" with "The Blonde in the Game" coming in at a close second. The first disc in this set had no extras what so ever..
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 12:14:48 AM »

Harsh Realm: Complete Series (Disc 1)
A month before leaving the army, Lieutenant Tom Hobbes is rousted from bed in the middle of the night and takenitoia secret location for one last mission: test a simulated virtual reality game used to teach situation war strategy. After being briefed on the top-secret project, code-named Harsh Realm, Hobbes is given his objective: eliminate Major Omar Santiago, who has taken the game hostage. But upon entering Harsh Realm, Hobbes discovers he is trapped there - and theideadly game will never end unless he completes his mission.

My Thoughts:
Another set I got for Christmas... this is a series that I have never seen a single episode of... but knew I wanted to check out the moment I heard it was created by Chris Carter... the same person that created the hit "The X-Files".  Of course where it was canceled so quickly.... and never seeing an episode I did not let my hopes get too high. After watching the pilot episode I felt that I stumbled onto a great series here. There was even a recognizable face (and a voice)... First there was a cameo appearance of Lance Henriksen.... then as a narrator of a video there was the voice of Gillian Anderson... I am a fan of both these actors so this was a pleasant surprise.

I originally figured I would only watch 1 to 2 episodes at a time since there was so few episodes.(only 9)... but it turned out I just couldn't help myself... I ended up watching the whole first disc! I am getting hooked on this show!... It is the perfect combination of Sci-fi and War. After only 4 episodes I think I found another series that was canceled way before it's time.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 10:18:03 PM »
I originally figured I would only watch 1 to 2 episodes at a time since there was so few episodes.(only 9)... but it turned out I just couldn't help myself... I ended up watching the whole first disc! I am getting hooked on this show!... It is the perfect combination of Sci-fi and War. After only 4 episodes I think I found another series that was canceled way before it's time.
Another one on my Wish List... :weirdo:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 11:09:13 PM »
LOL.... hope you enjoy it as much as I have! :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 11:27:47 PM »

JAG: Season 4 (Disc 6)
Come aboard for more military justice and non-stop action as all 24 episodes of 'JAG''s fourth season arrive on DVD for the very first time! Their search for the truth takes the JAG team of lawyers around the world, but what happens at home this season rivals any investigation. Harm Rabb (David James Elliot) considers leaving "Mac" (Catherine Bell) behind when his dream of becoming a pilot is realized, just as Admiral Chegwidden (John M. Jackson) welcomes a new attorney to the 'JAG' team. But it's Bud (Patrick Labyorteaux) and Harriet (Kari Turner) with the biggest news of all - the birth of their son! 'JAG' is back and ready for action!

My Thoughts:
I said it before... and I will say it again... I don't know what it is about him... but I just don't like the new character in this season... Brumby... I don't know what it is about him... but there is something about him that rubs me the wrong way! This is the final disc in the season... and all the episodes on the disc was really good. But I have to admit my favorite part had to be when Harriet had her baby. At least I don't have to wait to long for season 5... it will be released the end of January.... and yes I already have my copy pre-ordered.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 01:30:02 PM »

Reba: Season 1 (Disc 2)
When your husband of twenty years divorces you for a woman half his age, it's time to move on to Plan B. For Reba Hart (Reba McEntire), that means not only accepting that her marriage is over, but also accepting that her ex's new wife is pregnant. If that isn't disruptive enough, Reba learns that her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant too. So it's out with the old and in with the new as hubby leaves and son-in-law arrives. With all the outrageous domestic obstacles thrown in her path, Reba realizes one thing for sure: life will never be the same in this dysfunctional household!

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed the first disc so much that I just had to watch the next disc! 8 more hilarious episodes. The last episode I watched was one where Brock and BJ got married. I have a funny feeling that the end of this season we will have an episode of both BJ and Cheyanne giving birth in the same episode. Will see on the next disc if I am right.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 02:20:13 PM »
Yesterday evening and this morning....

Reba: Season 1 (Disc 3)

My Thoughts:
I just couldn't help myself... I had to see how this first season ended. I said above that I thought we would see the two births in the season finale episode... but I was wrong... BJ had her baby a few episodes before the season finale. But they did save the birth of Cheyenne's baby for the finale. I have to admit... this show has me hooked... I have a feeling it won't take me too long to get to... and finish season 2. Matter of fact I will probably go ahead and order seasons 3 and 4 when I make my next DVD order. And then hope we will see seasons 5 and 6 released before too long... though that does seem to be a long shot.

NCIS: Season 4 (Disc 1)

My Thoughts:
I couldn't wait any longer to start watching this set. Another one of my all time favorite shows. I think what got me in the mood to start watching this set was finishing off season 4 of JAG... since this is a spin-off from that series. Disc had some great episodes. Enjoyed every minute of it.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 02:50:15 PM »
Reba was once on my wishlist, but I removed it because my wishlist was getting too long and also my unwatched TV sets pile does not get smaller. Reba would have been a blind buy for me (never seen an episode), which made it easy for me to remove it from my list. You almost make me regret that descision  ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 03:17:41 PM »
LOL.... all I will say is that they are definitely cheap enough... just went to deep discount to see how much seasons 3 and 4 would cost me... and each set is only $20.xx each! I am not saying for sure you would enjoy it... but might be worth checking out the first season to see. May want to keep in mind... not sure how good you are with accents and such... but this series takes place in Texas... so there is a thick Texan accent/Southern drawl to some of the characters.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 03:27:18 PM »
May want to keep in mind... not sure how good you are with accents and such... but this series takes place in Texas... so there is a thick Texan accent/Southern drawl to some of the characters.
I usually do not have any problems with accents in movies and TV shows. Just another reason for checking this series out. And that now, when I have set myself a budget limit on DVD purchases for this year  ;D
And each season also costs $20 where I usually buy my RC1 DVDs.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 04:30:46 PM »
I usually do not have any problems with accents in movies and TV shows.
I once figured that it's because it's a foreign language to us either way :laugh:

When I lived near Boston I watched a Film from New Zealand with a bunch of friends (yes, Bad Taste which lovemunkey187 is looking for in another thread...). While it sounded funny to me I still could follow most of it quite easily yet my American friends were complaining about that accent :hysterical: Same happened with Thelma & Louise where my friend had more trouble with than me, it appeared.