Author Topic: Kick-Ass *****  (Read 32620 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Kick-Ass *****
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2010, 12:54:45 AM »
They was a scene with Hit-Girl in the movie, where I was reminded of Gunslinger Girl:

Critter

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 12:59:15 AM »
Haha Tom, every scene with Hit-Girl reminded me of anime. She was just like a little anime character come to life! Oh and I read that her costume was actually inspired by manga so they designed her with a Japanese influence.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 06:30:23 AM »
As I haven't seen the movie yet, I can't be sure, but I don't think I will agree with him either. I love reading his reviews anyway, though.
Kind of how I stand with Mark Kermode, a reviewer from the BBC. Maybe you should give it a try to listen to him. It's a weekly show, running approx. 90-100min, available via the BBC website.

They was a scene with Hit-Girl in the movie, where I was reminded of Gunslinger Girl:
:o Awesome! I might want to find this one. Is it a movie, a short series or a long series...? I saw soime stuff is available at Amazon, in Blu-ray even (e.g. Season 1), but it seems a bit daunting to figure out what to get...?

I am very excited, I will probably see it tomorrow :yahoo:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 06:32:46 AM by Achim »

Najemikon

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 05:20:17 PM »
Kermode liked this as well though. He said it feels like a cult movie that would normally take years to be discovered on late night TV, except it's mainstream. Pretty good sum up I thought. They had Mark Strong (Frank) on the show as well.

Mr Tookey on the other hand... I don't know what film he was seeing becuase I certainly didn't see an 11 year-old "sexually aggressive" character in the film I saw. And the fact that he did see one makes me hope to God he never has children.

Tookey has since followed up his review to reiterate his opinion and offer why he has such deep knowledge of paedophilia in film:

http://www.movie-film-review.com/devFilm.asp?ID=15578

If it's true (and trust me, our tabloids do print outright lies) then he has been to a darker place than most of us, but that just proves he's blinded and misses the real point of a film like this.

:o Awesome!

:o +1

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 05:39:22 PM »
:o Awesome! I might want to find this one. Is it a movie, a short series or a long series...? I saw soime stuff is available at Amazon, in Blu-ray even (e.g. Season 1), but it seems a bit daunting to figure out what to get...?

What you see listed as season 1 is the first series (13 episodes). This is really high quality stuff in my opinion. A few years later a second series "Gunslinger Girl: Il Tetriano" (sp?) aka "Gunslinger Girl: Season 2" was released by different studio. I haven't watched it completely, but of what I have seen, the animation quality has dropped significally. Also I don't like the new character design and voice actors.
The first season stands very well stand-alone. It covers the best part of the manga series (first two volumes). After that I feel the manga isn't as interesting anymore.
If you liked this little footage, I think you will like the rest of the (first) series.

Trailer:

Opening Credits:

And here a fan video I stumbled across in the past which has a good selection of scenes:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 06:04:06 PM »
I haven't watch the film and probably never will (it isn't my kind of cinema at all), but some of the critic are ridiculous. A film doesn't need to be psycho analyse at all to see every symbol you want to see. I'm sure that anyone can find whatever they want to be shock (remember some people find sexual contents in Disney cartoons). This isn't for nothing if professional film reviewers are going the way of the dinosaurs... As for Roger Ebert often is reviews are clearly unprofessional (I can't forget his review of Day of the Woman who is one of the worst one ever written). I can thing only of pretentious personallity when I read thing like that :

"When people like this are insulting a critic whose opinion should at least be respected, I reckon it’s the critic who is on the right track."

Najemikon

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2010, 06:57:23 PM »
Well said, Jimmy. One thing though, don't completely ignore Kick-Ass. Mark Kermode's comment about it being more cult than mainstream is on the money as it isn't hampered by studio/commercial meddling. I'm probably wrong, but I have an inkling you might like it...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2010, 07:55:35 PM »
Not a single chance that I go on a theatre to see it because cinema is too costly (if we count the popcorn and the drink also), the film are dub in french here and there are too many annoying and immature people at any movies screening. Maybe I will try it when it will be released on dvd, it's not a promise since I will always favour older movies and this is the Roger Corman year on dvd, but maybe if I find it on amazon marketplace (or on the british amazon, since the prices are usually good and the shipping low) we never know.

But if I get it and hate it I will hunt you down and force you to offer me a Guiness in your friendly pub :tease:

snowcat

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2010, 09:56:23 PM »
...If Jimmy gets a Guiness I want one to!

I literally have no idea where to begin when I think about this film. So I started reading Kick-ass in 2008 when it began, I enjoyed the series but due to the repeated delays I got a bit bored and lost track a few times, meaning I had to re-read issues numerous times.... Now, some people enjoy doing that... I don't I like to read something once. anyway im side tracking.

Unfortunately it seems I have to disagree with quite alot of people and pretty much say, well... I kind of don't like the film at all. and whilst I can't exactly pin point what it was I did not like about the film... let me explain a few things about why I did not like it.

Maybe after the 5 billionth (I exaggerate) read of Kick-ass I had high expectations that were not met, I can't say there are many comic turned movies I enjoy again im getting side tracked.

There were minor changes, ok ... sometimes these are good... sometimes they are bad... I felt like they left things out I enjoyed in the comic... stuff I wanted to see.

alot of criticism of this film seems to come from the violence, I don't care about violence, I laughed all the way through Hostel II. Others mention the language... again, doesn't bother me...watching children swear is the highlight of many of those "kids do the funniest things" shows... children that are younger then 11.

So, don't get me wrong, I like the story and really thought it was directed well! and I think this will have a "Watchmen" effect on the comic industry. but. and this is a big but. I did not enjoy the film. the best parts were in the trailers, and sometimes the acting seemed off.

Now ive always seen Kick-ass as a parody, and so I can't let it sit as a superhero movie the same way I can't let "Superhero movie" sit as one.... Unfortunately I have to completely disagree with you Jon, I don't think it is defining of the superhero genre, I think it mocks a genre that starting to look dated. Maybe Kick-ass will be the kick in the arse the genre needs to more forward, purely because of its tone and ability to get such a... well, random audience... people I would not imagine to like this film have ended up loving it and those I thought would love it don't like it.

I think that the comic should be read before watching the film. I don't think you can respect the comic or enjoy it as much with this film in the back of your mind.... BUT I think i you read the comic and then watch the film it will not have the same effect.

...anyway, long rant over.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2010, 10:06:49 PM »
I can see where you are coming from, Emma. I have first read the manga and I also was disappointed about some stuff being left out. Also I did not enjoy some of the other changes. On the other hand they were some changes I did like. Overall, even with these issues, I really enjoyed the movie.
Now after watching the movie I read the comic the second time and I must admit, I enjoyed the comic even more than the first time around.

Najemikon

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2010, 11:41:44 PM »
Thanks for expanding, Emma. :thumbup:

Part of the reason I respect this film so much is that it isn't beholden to the comic. The comic didn't come first so they are separate interpretations that support each other. Importantly, that means Kick-Ass was designed as a film from the start.

I've just ordered the book and I expect, being a comics fan anyway, that I will enjoy it a great deal. But enjoy it more or less than the film? Doubtful. I'll see them as separate experiences because unlike any other adaptation ever in this genre, the film doesn't need the book to exist.

That doesn't stop you reading the book and having expectations though. Emma, I have to disagree, but because of the way they were developed, I think it is advisable to see the film first. But then I know how I deal with such things; contrary to what people may think, I'm not a fan-boy, even remotely! :P If something doesn't work, I move on.

That happens so often with comic book adaptations. Take almost any of them: Spidey, X-Men, Iron Man, Daredevil, Dredd. Their value as entertaining films varies, their value against the original stories does not. Compared to the originals, they are all worthless crap.

Every one of them exists in some weird, screwed up movie-logic world that trivialises and demeans the characters by taking years of development and stuffing it into one story arc in a cynical attempt to capture fans' imaginations. Spider-Man 3 is the worst for this, while X-Men 2 handles it brilliantly.

I was very specific in my review of what I considered the defining samples. Superman had such reverence for the character and it's history, that it erred on the side of ambiguity and created a viable alternative to the comic and created a new genre; The Dark Knight did something similar, a massive improvement on Tim Burton's versions that would flippantly write-off iconic characters in single doses (even with the sad death of Heath Ledger, the Joker lives on within Nolan's version, which is how it should be). Additionally, Nolan's film seemed to me to be the first comic book movie that could be adapted back to comic form and be accepted as canon.

One reason I particularly considered this defining is that it is clearly a parody, except when it isn't. ;) The narrative is very clever because it parodies an aged genre, as you say, but it's characters see it as a parody too! They're in on the joke. Until that is, it all goes wrong. That's when the film stops being a parody and becomes something new and fresh.

I've been reading comics for years and Spider-Man never made any of my friends understand why I read "kids" magazines. But Kick-Ass is making them look at other graphic novels. The reason is clear; Spidey is meaningless blockbuster crap that you can enjoy and forget. Kick-Ass gets under your skin. I repeat, Iron Man has one heck of a bar to reach now.

Critter

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2010, 11:48:29 PM »
Jon I think you might find this interesting, or I found it hilarious at least. Chris Tookey had such a negative backlash from his absurd review that he wrote an 'afterward' to the fans. It's at the bottom of this page.

http://www.movie-film-review.com/devFilm.asp?ID=15578

Najemikon

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2010, 11:51:14 PM »
Ahem. I already posted that link at the top of this page... :tease: :hysterical:

But yes, it is very odd.

By the way, Jimmy, any time you're passing, I'll buy you a bloody Guinness whether you like the film or not. :cheers:

Critter

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2010, 11:52:56 PM »
Oh sorry I can't see it. I thought you only posted Chris Tookeys original review, not the one with the afterward for the fans in it.

Najemikon

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 11:55:10 PM »
It's ok! It's near the top...     

« Reply #33 on: Today at 16:20:17 »

:-[