Author Topic: Movies of the '70s Marathon  (Read 37372 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Movies of the '70s Marathon
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2010, 02:47:26 PM »

Title: Malibu Beach
Year: 1978
Director: Robert J. Rosenthal
Rating: R
Length: 90 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Kim Lankford as Dina
James Daughton as Bobby
Susan Player Jarreau as Sally
Michael Luther as Paul
Stephen Oliver as Dugan

Plot:
School's out and the kids line the Malibu shore for a wild summer of fun.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is one of the handful of '70s movie I just recently got in the Too Cool for School boxset. Being from Mill Creek Entertainment and the fact that the fit 12 movies on 3 discs I really wasn't expecting much quality wise from this set. But if I can go by this movies I will be pleasantly surprised. As this one has very good audio and video quality... I'm impressed.  This is one of the many in that set I never seen before. So what do I say about the movie itself? Hmmmm... the story is almost non-existent. It is basically no more then a bunch of kids getting out of school for the summer... and following their partying and goofing around. It has plenty of... I don't want to say pointless because come on... is there such a thing as pointless nudity? But there is there is lots of bare boobs with a scene or two of bare butts thrown in for good measures. I got to admit... I did like the dog on the beach that was trained to pull the bikini tops off the sunbathing girls. I know I am focusing quite a bit on the nudity in this movie... but as I discovered... it is pretty much a must in a movie like this. As without it... you wouldn't have that much of a movie left. There is a couple chuckles here and there... but nothing all that great comedy wise. This is definitely a movie that is geared more towards the "horny teenager" then it is for someone that is looking for a thought provoking story. But for what it is... it is not bad... but could have been better.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2010, 12:42:10 PM »
This weekend I am planning on not really having a theme marathon... but am planning on watching one or 2 movies for my '60s and '70s marathons. Then anything else I watch I will put in my random movie thread.

I did notice one thing...

Disc 1:
1. The Jetsons - Space Car
2. The New Adventures of Batman (The Batman Tarzan Adventure Hour) - Pest
3. Tarzan Lord of the Jungle (The Batman Tarzan Adventure Hour) - Tarzan and the Colossus of Zome
4. Hong Kong Fooey - Car Thieves
5. Hong Kong Fooey - Zoo Story
6. Goober and the Ghost Chasers - Assignment Ahaab Apparition
7. Speed Buggy - Speed Buggy Went That-A-Way
8. Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch - Double Cross Country
9. Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch - The Infiltrator
10. Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch - The Stunt Show

Disc 2:
11. Yogi's Gang - Greedy Geenie
12. Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan - Scotland Yard
13. Roman Holidays - Double Date
14. Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space - The Nemo's a No-No Affair
15. The New Scooby Doo Movies - The Ghostly Creep from the Deep
16. The Funky Phantom - I'll Haunt You Later

I only have 5 more cartoons in the '70s set to watch. I guess I either will have to get vol. 2, stop the marathon or see what other cartoon I have in my collection from the '70s!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2010, 12:49:44 PM »
Looking at my collection... I could also add these to keep the marathon going.

This would give me 32 more cartoons I could watch.

Thoughts? Should I keep this  (and the '60s & the Upcoming '80s) marathons as open marathons and keep them going as long as I possibly can?

Brittany is sitting right here... and she said Yes!

Yes... she is still around... I know it seems like she forgot about us! :(

Edit:
I found another set I can include...

Which would bring my cartoons up to 44 more!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:59:20 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2010, 06:54:28 PM »
Toon Time!

Speed Buggy was a Saturday morning cartoon produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions and broadcast on CBS  from September 8, 1973 to August 30, 1975. Similar in style to Hanna-Barbera's successful Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!, Speed Buggy followed the adventures of an anthropomorphic, fiberglass  Dune Buggy, Speed Buggy, (voiced by Mel Blanc), his driver Tinker (Phil Luther, Jr.), and Tinker's friends, Mark (Michael Bell) and Debbie (Arlene Golonka). The three young adults and their car traveled from race to race, often encountering spy capers and mysteries along the way. Speed Buggy's trademark quotes were always "Roger-Dodger!" and "Vroom-a-zoom-zoom!"

Speed Buggy Went That-A-Way
Season 1 - Episode 1
On the way to the Riverside Raceway, the gang veers off to visit Debbie's aunt Belle, a cattle rancher. The villainous Beefinger and his henchmen look to rustle up her entire herd and Speed Buggy and the gang have to rescue the cattle and try to drive them to the market as the rustlers try to stop them in their tracks.

My Thoughts:
This is another show I fondly remember from my childhood. Though I must have watched it in reruns as I was only 4 years old when it originally aired. The show held up right well for me. I still enjoyed it. Another show I would like to see a complete release on DVD for.

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »
Updated the list in the first post with the movies I have ordered this month... Was able to add 27 movies from the '70s!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2010, 12:09:22 AM »

Title: Freaky Friday
Year: 1976
Director: Gary Nelson
Rating: G
Length: 98 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Barbara Harris
Jodie Foster
John Astin
Patsy Kelly
Dick Van Patten
Vicki Schreck

Plot:
Now experience all the laughs of the original comedy classic that inspired Disney's hilarious hit remake. Trading places was never so funny, and it could only happen on Friday the 13th! that's when the tomboyish and free-spirited Annabel (Jodie Foster) switches bodies with her straitlaced mother, Ellen (Barbara Harris), and suddenly finds herself responsible for running the entire household. In turn Ellen, now in her daughter's body, faces the daunting challenges of school, including a typing test, field hockey competition, and much more!

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Interactive Games
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is the first time I seen this movie since I was a kid. So going into it I really remembered nothing more then it used to be a favorite. I tried to convince Brittany to watch it with me. But she didn't want to. This movie is just plain fun! I got several chuckles out of it. I really enjoyed the field Hockey game I got a few laughs out of those scenes. The Baseball game in the park was pretty fun as well. Then there was the last scene of the movie... and once again I couldn't help but to laugh at it. There were a few familiar faces in this one... other then what I listed above there was the guy that played Arnold in Happy Days... as well as Marvin Kaplan who I have seen in several TV Series of the time. and then there is Sorrell Brooke as the principle... who was of course Boss Hogg on The Dukes of Hazzard. I am the first to admit that I enjoyed the remake of Freaky Friday with Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan... but I have to say... I prefer this one!

The DVD itself isn't bad... but it could have been much better. Both the audio and video are just fine... but when it comes to extras it leaves a bit to be desired. There is one game you can play... which is a match game. Very simple and very boring once you play it once or twice. But the "Look Back" with Jodie Foster was pretty cool. She don't only look back on Freaky Friday... but all the movies she did for Disney. I did enjoy watching it. And that is all the movie related extras you get. The only other thing on the disc is the "also from Disney" trailers.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete