Author Topic: Val Lewton Horror Marathon  (Read 17477 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Val Lewton Horror Marathon
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 06:30:25 PM »
Definitely worth it! He recommended this set to me when I was making my order for my October horror marathon. I watched every movie in the set already (didn't watch either documentary yet) And I must say I enjoyed this set a lot! Sure there was some better then others... but the set is well worth it!  :thumbup:

Definitely watch the documentary. I saw it on TCM a couple of years ago, and that was the reason for making the purchase. It helps you to understand why he was so successful on the shoestring budgets he had.

One of my favorite parts of the documentary was when they explained how the head of RKO, after the success of Cat People, would just hand Lewton a slip of paper with a movie title on it, and Lewton had to build a film around that. That's where they came up with I Walked with a Zombie.

Ever wondered where what has become a common place effect in Horror films came from? You know, a person is be pursued by someone or something and all of a sudden you think they're about to be attacked or killed, but it's a fake.

Well, Val Lewton created that practice...

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 06:36:58 PM by Antares »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 06:34:23 PM »
I will have to be sure to watch it soon.

I bought the second set that was released. Not sure which you have... but in mine there is 2 documentaries...

1. Shadows in the Dark
2. Val Lewton: The Man in the Shadows
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 06:38:15 PM »
I have Shadows in the Dark.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 06:41:16 PM »
I will have to try to fit both in and let you know about the other as well.
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 06:49:36 PM »
Thanks for digging the thread up, Antares!

No pun intended, right?  :yu:

But seriously, this is why the random review generator on the home page is worth its weight in gold. Twice now, it has either led me to making a purchase or resurrecting ;) a forgotten DVD.

Najemikon

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 08:22:42 PM »
 :slaphead:

:laugh:

That clip is marvellous. Hadn't realised he was the first to do the misdirection trick though...

snowcat

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 09:03:17 PM »
Ive read alot of good things about Val Lewton, the only film I have by him is "I walked with a Zombie" Ill have to watch it, Cat People sounds interesting too.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 07:20:44 PM »
Bringing this thread back one more time to let you all know... if you would like to check out some of these movies to check your local Big Lots store. I was just there... and there was several of these discs available. $3 each... that is 2 of these movies for $3! Definitely can't beat that price!  :thumbup:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 07:47:07 PM »
Wow! That is excellent value.  :thumbup: