Author Topic: The Good Old Days TV Thread  (Read 8633 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
The Good Old Days TV Thread
« on: February 17, 2010, 06:59:01 PM »
The Good Old Days
Classic TV Thread
I found myself in the mood to watch some old and classic TV Shows. So I got thinking about how I wanted to post about what I watch. This is the idea that popped into my head that I thought would be fun to do. I have a lot of TV series from my childhood as well as from well before my time. Which is something I usually just watch here and there when the mood hits. So thought I would have a combined thread where I could give my thoughts on these Classic episodes. I want this thread to cover everything that is from before I was born through-out my childhood. So That means it will be covering shows up to and through-out the '80s.

I could be watching these episodes in any order or no order what so ever. Just episodes of shows I feel like watching... when I feel like watching them.

Shows in my collection that this could cover includes...

1.  21 Jump Street: Seasons 1-4
   2. The Addams Family
   3. Adventures of Robin Hood (1955)
   4. Adventures of Superman
   5. ALF
   6. Alice
   7. All in the Family
   8. The Andy Griffith Show
   9. The Avengers (The Original Avengers)
  10. Barney Miller
  11. The Beverly Hillbillies
  12. Bewitched
  13. The Bob Newhart Show
  14. Booker
  15. The Brady Bunch
  16. The Buccaneers
  17. Burns & Allen
  18. Challenge of the Super Friends
  19. The Cisco Kid
  20. The Cosby Show
  21. Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis: Colgate Comedy Hour
  22. The Dick Van Dyke Show
  23. Diff'rent Strokes
  24. The Dukes of Hazzard
  25. Dungeons and Dragons
  26. The Facts of Life
  27. Friday the 13th: The Series
  28. The Fugitive
  29. Full House
  30. Gilligan's Island
  31. Good Morning World
  32. Greatest American Hero
  33. The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries
  34. Highway to Heaven
  35. Hunter
  36. I Love Lucy
  37. The Incredible Hulk
  38. Knight Rider
  39. Kolchak: The Night Stalker
  40. Land of the Lost
  41. The Lone Ranger
  42. The Lucy Show
  43. M*A*S*H
  44. Macgyver
  45. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
  46. Monster Squad
  47. Mork & Mindy
  48. Mr. & Mrs. North
  49. Murphy Brown
  50. Night Court
  51. One Day at a Time
  52. One Step Beyond
  53. Ozzie and Harriett
  54. Petticoat Junction
  55. Planet of the Apes
  56. Police Squad
  57. The Ray Bradbury Theater
  58. Return to the Planet of the Apes
  59. S.W.A.T.
  60. The Secrets of Isis
  61. Sledge Hammer!
  62. Square Pegs
  63. Star Trek
  64. Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show
  65. The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians
  66. Superboy
  67. Super Friends
  68. Tabitha
  69. Tales from the Darkside
  70. Three's Company
  71. The Time Tunnel
  72. Too Close for Comfort
  73. V: The Complete Series
  74. The Veil
  75. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
  76. Welcome Back Kotter
  77. Wonder Woman

Wow! I didn't think I had THAT many shows in my collection that would qualify!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Old Days TV Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 08:18:13 PM »
Friday the 13th: The Series
Season 2: Episode 5
Symphony in B#
Original Air Date: 11/04/1988
Something is distinctly off-key when the trio discovers that a deceased violinist is continuing to release music long after his death.

My Thoughts:
While this is an alright episode... it really wasn't anything too special to me. I imagine that is because of all the classical music playing in this one. It is an obvious homage (Read: Rip-off) of Phantom of the Opera. But all said and done it is a decent episode... but not one that I would consider a favorite.

My Rating:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:21:42 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 12:20:24 PM »
The Time Tunnel
Volume 1: Episode 8
Massacre
Original Air Date: 10/28/1966
Doug and Tony try to convince Chief Sitting Bull and General Custer that the upcoming battle at Little Big Horn will have devastating consequences for both sides.

My Thoughts:
This is a show I have learned I like quite a bit. Unfortunately the series only lasted the one season (30 Episodes). Which was released on DVD in 2 volumes. With so few episodes I decided that I would only watch an episode here and there to allow my enjoyment of first time viewings to last much longer. Even though every time I watch an episode I get the urge to continue watching the set. There is one thing that bugs me a bit about this show. The time travelers never find a change of clothes to match the time period. And you seldomly see anyone question their attire. This episode is a good example of this... here they are in the time of General Custer and Chief Sitting Bull... one in a suit and the other in a turtleneck sweater. But yet they are not even looked at funny. As for this particular episode... I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is an interesting time period. It has a good story with a little bit of action as well.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 01:22:36 PM »
The Ray Bradbury Theater
Season 3: Episode 10
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Original Air Date: 05/14/1988
A film animator sculpts a monster for a tyrannical movie director’s latest project.

My Thoughts:
This is a show from my teen years. The show originally started on HBO but shortly after moved to USA. This is a show I only ever seen a small handful of episodes when they first aired. This is one of the many episodes I never seen before. This particular episode I didn't care too much for. I found it rather slow and boring. Nothing very thrilling about this episode what so ever.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 02:25:49 PM »
The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries
Season 2: Episode 10
Nancy Drew's Love Match
Original Air Date: 11/20/1977
Nancy's in the game of a lifetime when she's asked to watch out for a famous tennis star who may be involved in a racket involving stolen jewels.

My Thoughts:
When this originally aired I was only 8 years old. So I doubt I really appreciated the beauty of a young Pamela Sue Martin at the time. Though I do remember being a huge fan of the series even back then. And of course I as I grew watching the re-runs my appreciation for the lovely Pamela Sue Martin also grew. Her character in this, Nancy Drew, was smart and brave... at the same time remaining sweet as can be. All those qualities made me a huge fan of the Nancy Drew episodes of this series. I still enjoyed The Hardy Boys... but not nearly as much as I did the episodes with Nancy Drew. This episode gives us another female teen heartthrob in Maureen McCormick who was Marcia on The Brady Bunch.  I enjoyed the episode. It is an interesting story.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 03:34:51 PM »
Monster Squad
Episode 3
The Tickler
Original Air Date: 09/25/1976
The Tickler (Ivor Francis), a man unable to laugh, captures the Monster Squad in his tickle machine...

My Thoughts:
When this originally aired I was only 7 years old. It really is no more then a children's show. I was basically the right age (around 7) when this originally aired. This series really has nothing for the adult who never seen the series before. You would look at this and basically think silly kid show. It would still entertain the 5-8yr old kids I believe... but other then that... this set is good for nothing more then nostalgia. This show lasted one season back in 1976. The very next year the star of the show (Fred Grady) went to the series The Love Boat as Gopher.  This is no more then a silly show where a group of monsters go up against silly ('60s Batman style) super-villains. with the help of the night watchman (who woke them)... trying to show the world that monsters is not something you need to be scared of. This is definitely a show I couldn't watch very often. It is really of no use other then something to laugh at... to laugh at the silly stuff we watched as a little kid.

My Rating: (Would be lower... but gave an extra point for childhood Nostalgia)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 03:37:05 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 04:14:14 PM »
The Ray Bradbury Theater
Season 2: Episode 2
The Screaming Woman
Original Air Date: 02/22/1986
A girl can’t convince anyone that she hears a screaming voice.

My Thoughts:
This is my favorite episode of this series that I have seen so far. Even though I have not even made my way through the second disc of this set yet... this is at least my 3rd time watching this particular episode. It stars a young Drew Barrymore who was only about 12 or 13 years old when she made this episode. In this episode her parents and her neighbors won't believe she is really hearing a woman screaming for help... thinking it is her imagination since she spends all her time reading horror comics (Tales from the Crypt). As I said... I haven't gotten too far into this set yet (only watched 14 out of 65 episodes so far)... but so far... I must say this is my favorite episode!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 06:40:15 PM »
I Love Lucy
Season 2: Episode 6
Vacation from Marriage
Original Air Date: 10/27/1952
The girls decide that time away from their spouses will get their marriages out of a rut. Sneaking back to check on the boys, they get locked outside!

My Thoughts:
I normally really like this show. Even after all these years the episodes provides lots of laughs. But unfortunately this episode don't quite live up to most the other episodes. It don't have nearly as many laughs.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 07:18:51 PM »
I Love Lucy
Season 2: Episode 7
The Courtroom
Original Air Date: 11/10/1952
The Ricardos give the Mertzes a new TV set for their 25th anniversary, but when the set blows up, it's Mertz vs. Ricardo as the two couples battle it out in the courtroom!

My Thoughts:
There was only one more episode left on the disc so thought I would go ahead and finish off the disc. This episode is more like it. It is one of the classics that is remembered fondly. It has a few good laughs and an interesting storyline.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 11:26:55 PM »
Season 2: Episode 11
Wildfire
Original Air Date: 12/1/1978
The oil rig on which David is working is set ablaze by a saboteur who soon finds himself face-to-face with the Hulk.

My Thoughts:
Another show I always liked. I used to watch reruns of this show through-out my teen years. This episode was particularly fun. I got a kick out of it. First Banner gets knocked out and stuffed in an oil drum. So we have the Hulk busting out of the drum in back of a truck. He tears open the top of the truck and pulls the driver out. Only to get distracted by the radio... he drops the guy and starts to mess with the radio. So the guy takes off. That just don't seem right... The Hulk getting distracted by a radio like that!  :laugh: 

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 04:46:52 PM »
Star Trek
Season 1: Episode 4
The Naked Time
Original Air Date: 9/29/1966
Sent to pick up a research team, the U.S.S. Enterprise™ finds the scientists dead. One of the landing party brings the disease back to the crew, forcing suppressed emotions to the surface. Sulu becomes a modern day D'Artagnan. Lt. Kevin Riley shuts down the engines. Spock and Kirk are also affected. In one of the series' most powerful scenes, they help each other overcome their inner fears. Kirk races against time before the ship is pulled into the disintegrating planet.

My Thoughts:
I have not watched an episode of the original series in years! I really need to add more of these to my collection at some point. Right now I only have the first 10 of the original volume releases. This is a right good episode. The virus spread so fast... just from the slightest touch. While this is a good series... I prefer The Next Generation over it. For one thing I never cared too much for William Shatner. Then there is also just the better effects with the later series. But don't get me wrong... this one is still well worth watching!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:25:02 PM »
Wonder Woman
Season 2: Episode 1
The Return of Wonder Woman
Original Air Date: 9/16/1977
A terrorist act has one good outcome: Wonder Woman again straps on her belt and bracelets to fight evel.

My Thoughts:
I decided to watch the first episode of season 2 today... as I always preferred the episodes that took place in the '70 over those in the first season that took place during World War II. It was a lot of fun watching this episode again. For the most part the effects they use in this show is fine. But I do have to laugh whenever they show the invisible jet from a distance. It is so extremely obvious it is a Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor dolls in a model. But that one minor thing... that is seldomly seen is forgivable.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 12:09:35 AM »
Electra Woman and Dyna Girl
Season 1: Episode 3
Empress of Evil
Original Air Date: 10/9/1976
Electra- Woman and Dyna-Girl battle the hypnotic evil of the Empress of Evil but find themselves in deadly peril once again....

My Thoughts:
Talk about a blast from the past! Not necessarily a good blast... but it does bring back memories. Back when I was a kid we had no more then 3 channels to choose from. And what they showed was our only choices to watch. I am sure there is several of you here that remembers such a thing. to give you an idea of this show... think the '60s Batman... but even more kid-centric and even sillier... not to mention much worse acted. I have this one and one more episode on the disc that our friend Roger sent me. But and I considered watching both this one and the last one this evening.... but this show is just too hard to take when it comes to watching more then one at a sitting. I am averaging about 1 episode every month and a half to two months.

While it is right hard to watch... I did want this in my collection for no other reason then nostalgia. I had Brittany in here watching this one with me... but about half way through it she screamed out... "I Can't Take it No More!" and left the room!  :laugh:

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 11:07:50 PM »
The Brady Bunch
Season 5: Episode 11
The Cincinnati Kid
Original Air Date: 11/23/1973
The entire Brady clan heads off on a wildly anticipated visit to King's Island amusement park in Ohio - where they are subsequently forced to turn the park upside down looking for Mike's misplaced architectural blueprints!

My Thoughts:
While as I said... this series was never a huge favorite of mine... this is an episode I always enjoyed for some reason. I guess it has something to do with everyone running all over the park like madmen looking for the Plans. I must admit though...I had to laugh at Alice looking ill after all the rides... and that the kids carried her to the roller coaster at the end of the episode.

My Rating:
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 02:17:21 AM »
A lot of people like the episodes of The Brady Bunch like this one where they went on trips (also to Hawaii and The Grand Canyon) but I must admit that I always preferred the episodes where they are at home.  Dont ask me why.  This episode, however, is easy to take...possibly because it's not a 2 or 3-parter.