Author Topic: Dave's DVD/Blu-ray Reviews  (Read 272119 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's DVD/Blu-ray Reviews
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2010, 09:31:04 PM »
I have given some more thought to this and decided that the disappointment sprang from the friend mentioning action Ferngully. I now realise that I watched the film and was looking for other films within it rather than just sitting back and enjoying it as a good action thud and blunder film.

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2010, 09:52:44 PM »
The Hangover

Year: 2009
Director: Todd Phillips
Cast: Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Justin Bartha, Heather Graham

Overview: They planned a Vegas bachelor party that they would never forget. Now they really need to remember what exactly went down! Whose baby is in the closet of their Caesars Palace suite? How did a tiger get in the bathroom? Why is one of them missing a tooth? And most of all, where is the groom?! What the guys did while partying can't compare to what they must do sober in an outrageous caper that has them piecing together all their bad decisions from the night before - one hazy clue at a time. Director Todd Phillips (Old School) and an all-aces comedy cast bring it big time with unpredictable situations that somehow all fit together.

Watched: 2nd May 2010
My Thoughts: An enjoyable romp. No real laugh out loud moments for me but I found it overall humourousish. I couldn't really believe that the groom-to-be would have two best friends who appear to be such opposites but then again stranger things do happen. Wasn't too sure about the Mike Tyson doing Phil Collins but that was probably because I had got used to seeing a gorilla doing Phil Collins in an advert for CDM.

My Rating: Overall a 3

Dave
Dave

My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2010, 09:46:44 PM »
Alvin and The Chipmunks

Year: 2007
Director: Tim Hill
Cast: Jason Lee, David Cross, Cameron Richardson, Jane Lynch, Justin Long

Overview: ALVIN AND THE CHIMPMUNKS is a hilarious adventure packed with toe-tapping tunes and fur-flying fun! When struggling songwriter Dave Seville (Jason Lee) opens his home to a talented trio of chipmunks named Alvin, Simon and Theodore, they become overnight music sensations. But a greedy record producer (David Gross) intends to exploit the "boys" and send them on grueling concert tour just to line his own pockets. Now Dave must use a little human ingenuity—and a lot of 'munk mischief—to get his family back before it's too late! This edition of Alvin and the Chipmunks contains a Blu-ray, DVD and a Digital Copy – for you to enjoy wherever and whenever you want!

Watched: 3rd May 2010
My Thoughts: Some light comic relief. No real laugh out loud moments but enjoyably humourous. A point I have often pondered is why do people never notice chipmunks or other animals running around the lobbies of large office blocks except when it is important to the plot of the film. Another pondering point for me, in this film specifically, is the big record executive and his record company Jett Records, were the makers of the film aware of Don Arden and Jet Records? IIRC Don Arden was supposed to exercise a large control of the artists on his label.

My Rating: An enjoyable 3

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2010, 09:02:57 PM »
And Then Came Lola

Year: 2009
Director: Ellen Seidler, Megan Seiler
Cast: Ashleigh Sumner, Jill Bennett, Cathy DeBuono

Overview: Sizzling lesbian newcomer Ashleigh Summer takes the leading role as Lola alongside cult lesbian heartthrobs Jill Bennett (Dante's Cove), Cathy DeBuono (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Out At The Wedding) and Jessica Graham (2 Minutes Later) in this sexy lesbian romp inspired by the classic Run Lola Run.

Sassy lesbian photographer Lola is on the verge of success in both love and work, yet she could lose it all if she doesn't make it on time to a crucial meeting with her girlfriend. But, as usual, Lola is late! Racing through the streets of San Francisco, Lola gets into an ever increasing number of outrageous scrapes involving ex-lovers, wannabe girlfriends and part-time stalkers. As the clock counts down, Lola realises that it will take more than one chance to make this date...

Watched: 29th May 2010
My Thoughts: After Heartless I thought I would go for something a little lighter. I bought this on the premise that it was a rom-com based on Run Lola Run, I film that I enjoyed. However this film has become only the second film that I failed to watch to the end. I watched the first cycle through, but was finding that hard-going, and then started on the second cycle but decided to fast forward and didn't even bother with the third cycle. Whether it was trying to wacth this after Heartless or whether I was too tired, I started watching about 23:20, I just didn't find anything to get into the film. I will have to give this another go but earlier in the evening when I am refreshed and then maybe I'll find more in it.

My Rating: For the moment a 2

Dave

FYI: I hadn't looked at Tom's review as I didn't want to colour my thoughts but will now see what he thought of this.

PS: The only other film that I have failed to watch to the end, so far as I can remember, is Grave of the Fireflies. My failure to watch this is for toally different reasons as what I saw was excellent, worthy of a 5 rating, but I couldn't handle the subject matter. Maybe it is time for me to try to watch this again.

edited to correct film title - Thanks Jon
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 10:23:51 PM by dfmorgan »
Dave

My Library

Najemikon

« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2010, 10:10:14 PM »
Do you mean Grave of the Fireflies, Dave, the Anime about the children in the wake of the Japan bombings?

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
d'oh :slaphead:

Thanks Jon, yes of course I do.

Dave
Dave

My Library

Najemikon

« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2010, 11:26:34 PM »
 :laugh: Just checking! I thought it was superb and one of the best, if not typical, war films ever made. It's just so tough.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2010, 12:21:38 PM »
Ponyo

Year: 2008
Director: Hayao Miyazaki
Cast: Hiroki Doi, Yuria Nara, Tomoko Nagashima
Overview: Welcome to a world of magic and adventure! Academy Award®- winning director Hayao Miyazaki (2002, Best Animated Feature, Spirited Away) brings to life a heart-warming and imaginative retelling of Hans Christian Andersen's classic fairytale The Little Mermaid. And now it's even more thrilling through the magic of Blu-ray, with never before seen extras that will take you on a journey into the film's enchanted world!

A young boy named Sosuke rescues a goldfish named Ponyo, and they embark on a fantastic journey of friendship and discovery. Under the sea Ponyo's father, the Wizard Fujimoto is desperate for his daughter to return to their undersea home and uses his magic to bring her back, much to Ponyo's dismay. But Ponyo, ever the stubborn little goldfish, longs to return to her special friend. She magically transforms herself into a little girl and finds her way back to Sosuke's house but accidentally stumbles upon her father's magical 'Water of Life' and triggers a gigantic storm. Now balance must be restored to the world they all cherish.

Watched: 5th Jun 2010
My Thoughts: Another wonderful anime from Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli. The basic premise of Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid with a magical twist. I liked the Wagnerian references to Die Walküre with Ponyo's original name being Brünnhilde and then after Ponyo releases the storm, she rides the waves and fishes to music thematically close to The Ride Of The Valkyrie from that opera.

My Rating: Just loved it to bits so a 5

Dave

Addendum: Think I'll have to sort out all my Studio Ghibli titles and have a marathon session with them.
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2010, 08:56:12 PM »
Black

Year: 2005
Director: Sanjay Leela Bhansali
Cast: Amitabh Bachchan, Rani Mukherjee, Shernaz Patel
Overview: I know now that there is God... He is not in the Holy Spirit we pray to... He isn't written about in religious texts... He is someone who is a part of our lives... Whom we live for...
Because of whom we live...

Michelle McNally is "special" in more ways than one. She cannot see... nor hear...  nor speak... She inhabits a world of infinite black... of a seamless, endless void where nothing reaches her and she reaches nothing. Her world is frightening in its complete remoteness. On the sheer will of her ferocious rage against destiny, Michelle struggles to stay afloat in the impenetrable whirlpool her life has become.

Into this devastating isolation enters a battle weary teacher, Debraj Sahai, life's wounded but arrogantly insolent warrior. With a single minded obsession, Debraj takes up a challenge that is next to impossible - to lead this wild, uncontrollable child into the light of knowledge.

Thus begins a journey of two headstrong individuals. They will overcome  what they seek is that moment of miracle -  when the ray of knowledge will penetrate through the dense black of Michelle's life... Black is the cathartic tale of a deaf, mute and blind girl who saw what people with sight fail to see - a vision of her God. Michelle McNally saw what other lesser mortals could not. She saw her God... heard Him... and walked with Him... into the light...

Watched: 6th Jun 2010
My Thoughts: Thank You Tom and Thank You Jon for recommending this wonderful film.

This film takes us through the life of Michelle McNally (Rani Mukherjee) from a few months after birth where she has now been diagnosed as both deaf and blind, through feral childhood onto a fairly confident young womanhood and finishing with a very confident woman. The bulk of the story is told in flashback but this doesn't detract from the storyline as it was easy enough to follow. One area I thought the director handled well was the sibling rivalry and reconcilation. When he chose to show the rivalry it was understated just enough to ensure that you were aware of it until he brought it to its head at the pre-wedding dinner. In the middle of all this was the teacher Debraj Sahai (Amitabh Bachchan) who brought Michelle out of herself and into the light. The film is top and tailed with Michelle seeing/visiting Debraj in hospital after finding him and finding out that he is suffering from Alzheimer's Disease.

My Rating: It has to be 5

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2010, 09:02:29 PM »
Thank You Tom and Thank You Jon for recommending this wonderful film.

You're welcome! I am glad that so many people are giving this film a chance now and that so far everyone enjoys it :)

kahless

« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2010, 09:08:58 PM »
Thank you, dfmorgan for this review!  :thumbup:
Now I hope, that I find the leisure very soon to watch this movie!
And thanks, Tom from my side as well for the recommandation!  :)

Najemikon

« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2010, 09:13:21 PM »
My Thoughts: Thank You Tom and Thank You Jon for recommending this wonderful film.

I'm glad you liked it too!  :thumbup:

One area I thought the director handled well was the sibling rivalry and reconcilation. When he chose to show the rivalry it was understated just enough to ensure that you were aware of it until he brought it to its head at the pre-wedding dinner.

Good point. It felt very real and far more convincing than similar scenes in Rachel Getting Married, not that the two films can withstand any other comparison...

Except that one is a wonderful cinematic experience, telling a beautiful story with inspiring characters and the other is called Rachel Getting Married.  ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2010, 09:19:17 PM »
The dinner scene is one of my favorite moments in the movie as well.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2010, 10:39:17 PM »
Except that one is a wonderful cinematic experience, telling a beautiful story with inspiring characters and the other is called Rachel Getting Married.  ;)

I have that and will now have to watch it, but it may have to wait as Robo-Geisha has been despatched :laugh:

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2010, 10:52:28 PM »

I was about to give in to the peer pressure regarding Black, but you saved me.  :P
Matthias