Author Topic: Roger Corman  (Read 24261 times)

Alien Redrum

Re: Roger Corman
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 02:40:40 AM »
So this thread reminded me that I had yet to pick up Rock -n- Roll High School on Blu and decided to track it down. After checking the usual suspects (Amazon, Buy, Deep Discount) and not finding a satisfactory price, I hit ebay to see if I could get lucky. Sure enough, there was one up there with no bids for $9.99 (and 3 bucks shipping) ending in five hours. I threw down a $10.01 bid and left, came back and saw I won.

Really glad I joined the forum today, now. :lol:

I cannot wait to check it out.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 05:57:04 AM »
I only have the regular dvd and it looks great compare to all the others released I've seen, so I'm sure the Blu-Ray will be incredible.

Next time check amazon.ca, I've paid 13.49 $CAN for my copy (dvd) as I will for Death Race. I can't remember right now for my others in pre-order but I supposed it's in the same range.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:00:51 AM by Jimmy »

Alien Redrum

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 10:17:47 PM »
I only have the regular dvd and it looks great compare to all the others released I've seen, so I'm sure the Blu-Ray will be incredible.

Next time check amazon.ca, I've paid 13.49 $CAN for my copy (dvd) as I will for Death Race. I can't remember right now for my others in pre-order but I supposed it's in the same range.

Good call. For some reason I always forget about Amazon.ca.

Right now Death Race on blu is a couple bucks cheaper than Amazon US. I'm going to hold off and see if they go under $15.

I'm so cheap on my blus. :lol:

RossRoy

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 10:34:48 PM »
Good call. For some reason I always forget about Amazon.ca.

I can tell you why. It's because Amazon.ca can seem like a ripoff when compared to Amazon.com - yet they sometimes shine, especially in the Marketplace ;)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 11:21:12 PM »
Time for an update ;D

First two on Blu-ray who weren't announce yet in my last update : Piranha and Humanoids from the Deep

and for september

Can't wait to update the crappy Substance bootleg dvd I own for this film :thumbup:
The DVD is here and the Blu-Ray is here.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 05:06:55 PM »
Reviews from DVD Drive-in for 2 upcomming titles

DEATH RACE 2000 (to be release next week) and GALAXY OF TERROR (to be released in july)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:09:10 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »
DVD Drive-in review for the upcomming Forbidden World dvd.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 09:57:17 PM »
Two new sets that will be released the october 5

The Evil
Twice Dead

The Slumber Party Massacre 1, 2 and 3

The ASIN number in case you want to check on amazon.ca or any other website
The Evil / Twice Dead (B003THSXJG)
The Slumber Party Massacre Collection (B003THSXJ6)

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 09:15:56 AM »
Isn't it a bit far fetched to call these Roger Corman's Cult Classics?

As far as I can tell, the only connection these films had with Roger Corman is that one of his companies distributed them theatrically.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 04:36:42 PM »
No difference for the collection if he was the director, the producer or if New World Picture was the distributor. Anyway, for me the important thing is to have those films on a good quality dvd wich is the case with this collection by Shout! Factory ;D

I've bought or pre-order every title anounced at this date and I will continue, even if they released Roger Corman's Fantastic Four (wich won't happen).

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 07:01:27 PM »
Well, I'm of a different opinion. If he directed or produced he had a direct influence on the making of the film. If he only distributed them, he did not. He may have had some say in which films his company distributed, but that don't make them Roger Corman's Cult Classics in my eyes.

That doesn't mean that they can't be interesting, though. I like a lot of B movies.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 07:43:28 PM »
The distributor had an impact on the film and they have their word to say. Harry Novak and David Friedman always told to the director of the films they choose to distribute what they want in it or the deal won't work. Those films most of the time were sold to a distributor before they even start to work on them. A script, a poster or some test footages was enough to make a distribution deal.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 08:30:12 PM »
Maybe so, but it's still not the same influence that the director or producer has. My objection against calling them Roger Corman's Cult Classics stands...  :voodoo:
New World Pictures' Cult Classics might possibly be more appropriate.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 08:57:20 PM »
I don't to the movie, I don't release them on DVD and I ain't link with Shout! Factory in any way. I just post the link (using the affiliate link from our website) when a new title appear in the collection for those who are interested and don't follow a specific movies forums to get them up to date with everything released by all the different american label.