Author Topic: Marathon brainstorming thread  (Read 116710 times)

RossRoy

Re: Marathon brainstorming thread
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2008, 05:29:58 PM »
Unwatched, as in "never seen" or just unwatched DVDs?
I would choose "never seen".

I was going to say unwatched DVD, but never seen works too, especially since most of my unwatched DVD are also never seen!  ;)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2008, 09:07:09 PM »
I don't know how much DVD watching I'll be doing; I have found myself in a real-life soap opera.

My brother who is married with 4 children (18 months, 3, 5 and 7). He had surgery on Dec. 21 so I'd been helping him out with the kids, cooking, cleaning, etc. His wife has always been lazy and refused to do anything around the house so the thought of care of someone recuperating...forget it. Our mom came in from Florida to help and stay for the holidays so things started out nice.

But on Christmas Eve my sister-in-law sneaked out of the house in the middle of the night, left a note that she was leaving and wouldn't be back. She stole our money, left the car at the airport and left to meet up with some guy she met on-line six months ago.   
She stated she was on "a great adventure". She left without even telling her anyone, not even her mother, siblings or friends.  >:(

Since they live in a very small town, this has been the talk of the town. I feel so bad for the kids, my brother and her family. I never wanted to have children, cats and dogs are it for me, so of course I feel sorry for myself too since a lot of the responsibility has fallen on me!

Like any good soap opera this story has an interesting twist; 3 days after leaving, my sister-in-law's lover kicked her out! So she's been traveling, passing bad checks and is expected back in New York sometime tonight. I think she will be living with her mother but who knows.

I'm going to have to write a best seller and become rich so we can hire a live in nanny; I'm getting too old to be doing all this work! The worse part is I'm too tired to watch any DVDs! :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2008, 10:19:34 PM »
Whoa. Thanks for sharing, Kathy! You're right, that sounds like a pretty cool plot for a movie... in fact, it could be a companion piece to 28 Days with Sandra Bullock...  :laugh:

In all seriousness though, take it easy and don't let it get you to down.  :training:

lyonsden5

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2008, 11:58:10 PM »
Hopefully they will be better off with out her. It has to be hard on the kids. So sorry for them. It's a good thing they have Aunt Kathy to help out (and all her movies).

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2008, 12:11:52 AM »
I don't mind all the work but I'm used to peace and quiet, something you don't get with 4 children (5 if you count my brother! :laugh:) But then they come up with things like "Aunt Kathy you're magic"...how cool is that?!?

I

m.cellophane

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2008, 04:32:31 AM »
I don't know how much DVD watching I'll be doing; I have found myself in a real-life soap opera.

My brother who is married with 4 children (18 months, 3, 5 and 7). He had surgery on Dec. 21 so I'd been helping him out with the kids, cooking, cleaning, etc. His wife has always been lazy and refused to do anything around the house so the thought of care of someone recuperating...forget it. Our mom came in from Florida to help and stay for the holidays so things started out nice.

But on Christmas Eve my sister-in-law sneaked out of the house in the middle of the night, left a note that she was leaving and wouldn't be back. She stole our money, left the car at the airport and left to meet up with some guy she met on-line six months ago.   
She stated she was on "a great adventure". She left without even telling her anyone, not even her mother, siblings or friends.  >:(
Yikes!  :wacko: Coincidentally, my 1st wife left me with 4 kids. Mine were 15 mos, 3, 5, and 7! It was a hard and painful road, but I soon found the love of my life and we've been happily married ever since. My kids are now 13, 16, 18 and 19.

All are doing "well" in teenage terms.  :readthis:  :laugh:

For the past several years, my wife and I have even become friendly with the ex.  :shrug: My ex recently told me that she remembered years ago when she tried to tell me that she understood how hard it was for me to have my wife walk out and leave me with a bunch of kids. She said I responded with "You have no idea". Now years later, she said, with tears in her eyes, that she feels she finally understands for real and how sorry she was and what a great job I did under the circumstances. I was pleasant.  :-\ After she left, I told my wife, "She still has no idea."  :P But it was nice to hear that it hits her now and again exactly how staggering it was.

Anyway, just a bit of my story to say hang in there and give your brother my best wishes. As Rick suggests, perhaps they're all better off without her. Your brother's children will be his reward.  :2cents:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2008, 07:43:39 PM »
When I do a marathon the most interesting part is that I have moved myself from consumer to critic. Before this marathons I simply watched the shows and either I liked an episode or I didn't. But that was mostly a gut decision.

When writing these one or two sentences to express my opinion I actually have to think about the episode and have to have a short replay to decide why I did or didn't like it. And for some episodes it's harder than for others.

Another advantage for me is that I am writing in english - at least I hope it's english and not just a german sentence with english words. ;)

I work for Siemens (but I am not a Siemens employee) and we work with colleagues all over the world (Johnson City, TN in the U.S., Bangalore in India). But when I read mails from my indian colleagues I sometimes have doubts about my english reading capabilities. "This sentence no verb." I know that they're doing their very best but I sincerely hope that my sentences are a bit more readable.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 07:51:09 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2008, 08:27:40 PM »
Karsten... I personally think you do a fantastic job.  :thumbup:
Pete

Halo2

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2008, 06:56:25 AM »
Karsten,

I agree with Pete. Your review read as english, not german translated into english. Where I work doing desk side computer support, the phone support is mostly in India. It is often a challenge trying to understand what they are trying to explain of a technical problem. Makes for some interesting conversations when I go to their office and explain what I have perceived is their problem based on what has been described in the service ticket.

Yours, on the other hand, are well constructed, informative and entertaining. You are doing an excellent job.

:ok:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2008, 10:35:33 AM »
 :phew:

:thanks:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

richierich

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2008, 02:47:14 PM »
Is anyone up for an April marathon?
Something not too taxing please - I'm still recovering from going around the world  :stars:

Ideas?

RossRoy

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2008, 03:07:52 PM »
Is anyone up for an April marathon?
I'd be up for one, even though my track record for the last few months hasn't been too good in regards to watching DVD  :weep:

Quote from: richierich
Ideas?
:shrug:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2008, 03:18:11 PM »
I will be watching Stargate throughout the entire April, I have still six and a half season in front of me.
Karsten

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2008, 03:28:23 PM »
I will probably take part in a new marathon. I must admit, I have again neglected watching movies since our last marathon.

Touti

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
How about movies related to April and April's fool.  Could be stories that take place in April, that are about April, movies that have something to do with April's fool or have the words "April" or "Fool" in it.

How many movies would that marathon be for ?  If it's one a day I won't be able to keep up because I have to do my taxes before the end of April.