Author Topic: Critter's Random DVD Watchings  (Read 31645 times)

Critter

Re: Critter's Random DVD Watchings
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2010, 10:01:20 AM »
Zombieland

Year: 2009

Director: Ruben Fleischer

Cast: Emma Stone, Abigail Breslin, Amber Heard, Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Bill Murray

Plot: The horror comedy Zombieland focuses on two men who have found a way to survive a world overrun by zombies. Columbus is a big wuss -- but when you're afraid of being eaten by zombies, fear can keep you alive. Tallahassee is an AK-toting, zombie-slaying' bad ass whose single determination is to get the last Twinkie on earth. As they join forces with Wichita and Little Rock, who have also found unique ways to survive the zombie mayhem, they will have to determine which is worse: relying on each other or succumbing to the zombies.

My Thoughts:
I liked this film a lot more than I thought I would. In fact I loved it, often throughout the film I found myself thinking, how did they think of this? This is one the funniest films I have seen in a long time, and even though I just watched it today I already want to see it again. Now it’s obvious that this film has many similarities to Shaun of the Dead, yet oddly enough I liked Zombieland better. There was just something genius about the ragtag group of lead characters in this film that just worked; I liked every character from the tough talking, zombie killing Tallahassee, to the two con sisters Wichita and Little Rock.

While the film is mainly a comedy/gore fest (and yes, at times the zombies are a bit vomit inducing) I found that the film was surprisingly heartfelt in some places, but unlike some other films of a similar genre, it didn’t feel out of place here and wasn’t overdone. There were not really many main actors in this film yet I still can’t pick a stand out. The four leads were all excellent in their role, Jesse Einsenberg carried the film well and was a very likable protagonist. Abigail Breslin was also fantastic as the 12-year old gun toting Zombie killer, very Hit-Girlesque only minus the language.

I really can’t wait to watch this film again and I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of parodies of the horror genres… as long as they aren’t easily grossed out that is.

My Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2010, 01:43:48 PM »
I really liked Zombieland too! But better than Shaun? My dear, you jest! For a start, the zombies run... zombies can't run.  :P

Critter

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2010, 01:50:23 PM »
Haha I had a feeling I might get a bit of backlash from saying that. I did like Shaun of the Dead, but I just enjoyed this one more, that had nothing to do with the lovely Emma Stone of course  :-X
And I know Zombies can't run, but in the end why shouldn't they? It makes them a lot less scary when a zombie is 100 metres away and very slowly shuffling foward... but a hundred Zombies running towards you... now that's creepy.
And if it gives the film anymore credit at all the Zombies in this film were very close to the most disgusting I have seen in any Zombie film. These things were just... God I feel sorry for those extra's who had to be covered in all of that each day of shooting.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2010, 02:57:04 PM »
I know Zombies can't run, but in the end why shouldn't they?
Because they are dead :whistle:
The one who runs are infected by a disease not dead...

Najemikon

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2010, 03:08:45 PM »
Haha I had a feeling I might get a bit of backlash from saying that. I did like Shaun of the Dead, but I just enjoyed this one more, that had nothing to do with the lovely Emma Stone of course  :-X
And I know Zombies can't run, but in the end why shouldn't they? It makes them a lot less scary when a zombie is 100 metres away and very slowly shuffling foward... but a hundred Zombies running towards you... now that's creepy.
And if it gives the film anymore credit at all the Zombies in this film were very close to the most disgusting I have seen in any Zombie film. These things were just... God I feel sorry for those extra's who had to be covered in all of that each day of shooting.

Oh, Sophie. I didn't think you were like the rest of the ADD affected youth, who need things literally thrown at them to make them feel scared. I... I weep for you... :weep: :tease:

Zombies represent our own shuffling mortality. The point is that they are far away and easy to kill, but eventually, they will catch us. I find that far more scary than quick zombies that are little more than a ghost train, haunted house style of film.

I posted this in another thread only the other day. An article by Simon Pegg himself which is an excellent breakdown of the zombie:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/nov/04/television-simon-pegg-dead-set

By the way, I really, really liked Zombieland. I have to stress that. But you need to fill a few gaps in your zombie collection (which for you is tough, I know! :P) if you think they're the most disgusting.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 03:10:39 PM by Jon »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2010, 03:14:17 PM »
But you need to fill a few gaps in your zombie collection (which for you is tough, I know! :P) if you think they're the most disgusting.
Try some italian zombie films, you will see what is a disgusting one :yucky:

Critter

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2010, 03:17:59 PM »
Jon, the other day you showed me a video of a little girl in an elevator and I had trouble sleeping that night (I'm not kidding, that's literally how much that scared me). Needless to say I do not need things to be "literally thrown" at me to make me feel scared.

I suppose I didn't clarify it in my previous statement but what I meant was that running Zombies worked better in this film, I by no means meant all Zombie films. Zombieland in particular would not have worked with the traditional, slow Zombies. I know that Zombies are traditionally slow and that works with most Zombie films. In fact Zombieland was a comedy, so the running Zombies did not scare me at all, only gross me out a bit. While I found the running Zombies in this film amusing, I would most likley find the slower ones actually frightening if I saw it in a horror film, unlike the running ones.

And in the end aren't things always more scary in films when they are just slowly walking? There's that horror convention of the victim always speedily running from a steadily walking bad guy, yet the bad guy always seems right behind them. This is a convention becuase it works... it's scarier when things walk at you.

In real life though I do believe I would much rather walking Zombies than running ones, I just feel I misphrased my previous statment if you feel I am one of those "ADD affected youth".

Critter

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2010, 03:20:04 PM »
But you need to fill a few gaps in your zombie collection (which for you is tough, I know! :P) if you think they're the most disgusting.

Tough is an understatement. You mean actual horro Zombie films. Me? Horror? You must be joking  :P

Najemikon

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2010, 04:01:28 PM »
Sophie, I was only pulling your leg when I said "ADD". I know very well you aren't. That's why I put the  ":tease:"

Jon, the other day you showed me a video of a little girl in an elevator and I had trouble sleeping that night (I'm not kidding, that's literally how much that scared me).

Oops! :bag: F.E.A.R. is based on the imagery from a hand-full of Japanese and Korean horror, so stay away from those!  :-X
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 04:07:52 PM by Jon »

Critter

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »
I could tell by the smiley that you were only having a go, but I felt the need to push foward that point anyway. I mean hell, I can usually only drive if I am listening to classical music. And on a Saturday night when a lot of my friends enjoy going drinking and clubbing... I prefer to visit the symphony orchestra with my sister. I like to think I am as far from the so-called ADD youths of today as possible.

Aside from that I appreciate your warning. I have heard that Japanese horror is often amongst some of the scariest horror there is, and that the American remakes never do them justice. I once watched the first 20 minutes or so of the original Japanese The Ring with my neighbour. After that 20 minutes however we realised that both of us had a blanket over our head, and I even had my hand over my ears becuase I didn't want to even hear it.

My unreasonable fear of horror films is something that is starting to worry me quite a bit actually. I mean hell, I am 19-years old but even the lamest horror films keep me up at night. Horror films scared me when I was young, but now, even after years of studying how films are made, and of watching behind-the-scenes videos from horror films I still can't help but be just terrified. It's interesting really, I have seen some terrifying things in real life, yet it's always in the films that they effect me more. In real life I am usually quite calm and often docile, even in intense situations, yet in the films I am just a wreck.
 :stars:

RossRoy

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2010, 04:43:37 PM »
My unreasonable fear of horror films is something that is starting to worry me quite a bit actually. I mean hell, I am 19-years old but even the lamest horror films keep me up at night.

Glad to see I'm not alone with that. These days I'm fine, but when I was in my early 20s I would have nightmares for weeks after watching a horror film. I just recently managed to watch all the Nightmare of Elm Street and all the Friday the 13th.. just a few years back I would never have managed.

BTW, The Ring completely terrified me. Yet I was glued to the TV the whole time, for both versions.

Little anecdote? I've seen the american remake of The Ring 3 or 4 times now, and I still have no idea what the dead girl in the closet looks like :bag:

Najemikon

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2010, 04:45:41 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it! I mean, we were talking the other week about phobias. Some people are scared of the most ridiculous things, like... "bananas" or something. You're scared of something that is trying to scare you. Nothing wrong with that and there are a lot like you, more than you think.

To truly enjoy horror films, you have to enjoy being scared. Technically that means you aren't scared at all, so it's a bit weird really. :stars:

Critter

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2010, 12:41:17 AM »
Little anecdote? I've seen the american remake of The Ring 3 or 4 times now, and I still have no idea what the dead girl in the closet looks like  :bag:

:laugh: That does make me feel a bit better actually. I did certainly used to spend a lot of time watching horror films with my hands over my eyes.

To truly enjoy horror films, you have to enjoy being scared. Technically that means you aren't scared at all, so it's a bit weird really. :stars:

Yeah enjoying being scared is certainly not something I seem to be able to do. I have in the past, felt physically ill from watching horror films, and then gone on to just not enjoy life in general for about a week after until the effect wears off. Also, I'm glad I don't have that 'bannana' fear  :P

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2010, 12:54:15 AM »
For me, it's not the point of enjoying being scared, it's the fear of the unknown nightmare that may take place within a few days of watching a horror film. When watching a horror film, I can always calm the fear by explaining away the fallacy of the situation at hand. But in a nightmare, I'm not in control, and my subconscious mind can take me closer to the horror as opposed to fleeing from it.

Najemikon

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2010, 01:19:42 AM »
Never had a nightmare caused by a film. That would be AWESOME! :devil: