Author Topic: Addicted2comics(:P)'s Official Review Thread!!!  (Read 99771 times)

addicted2comics(:P)

Re: Addicted2comics(:P)'s Official Review Thread!!!
« Reply #225 on: July 01, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »
The Grudge 2: Unrated Director's Cut (2006/United States)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Takashi Shimizu
Writing:Takashi Shimizu (Original Characters By), Stephen Susco (Writer)
Length:108 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Sarah Michelle Gellar as Karen
Amber Tamblyn as Aubrey
Arielle Kebbel as Allison
Takako Fuji as Kayako
Edison Chen as Eason
Sarah Roemer as Lacey

Plot:
Acclaimed producers Sam Raimi, Rob Tapert and Taka Ichise have re-teamed with director Takashi Shimizu and screenwriter Stephen Susco to present this heart-stopping sequel to the smash-hit thriller, The Grudge.

When Aubrey Davis (Amber Tamblyn, TV's "Joan of Arcadia") learns her sister Karen (Sarah Michelle Gellar) has been hospitalized, she immediately flies to Tokyo. Once there, she learns her sister's horrifying story and discovers that the fatal supernatural curse has been unleashed. Now, as the grudge spreads across the world, a new host of unsuspecting victims are about to become infected by the force that can't be stopped – and won't be killed.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I can't say this is much scarier than the previous movie. More or less, it's a lot like watching the first one over again. The main difference is we get to a complete back-story.

(click to show/hide)

The main new plot point is the discovery of...well, let's just say there was the bad practice of a mother that may have been another factor in the curse. Part of me thinks it's a cool twist, part of me thinks it just complicates the main aspect that I like: she's angry he husband killed her and wants revenge. There were many new characters introduced, and you see the woman's power to really mess with people's heads. There was really only one jump-scare that got me, but I think I'll chalk that up to having watched it so soon after the first. It can still be pretty creepy. 

Scare-O-Meter:

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #226 on: July 02, 2012, 07:17:30 AM »
The Grudge 3 (2009/United States)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Toby Wilkins
Writing:Brad Keene, Takashi Shimizu (film "Ju-On: The Grudge")
Length:90 min.
Rating:R

Stars:
Matthew Knight as Jake
Shawnee Smith as Dr. Sullivan
Mike Straub as Orderly
Aiko Horiuchi as Kayako
Shimba Tsuchiya as Toshio
Emi Ikehata as Naoko

Plot:
A young Japanese woman who holds the key to stopping the evil spirit of Kayako, travels to the haunted Chicago apartment from the sequel, to stop the curse of Kayako once and for all and save a family who are currently being haunted by her malicious spirit.

My Thoughts:

One of my first thoughts watching this movie was that something in the rules of these ghosts changed ... before in the first movie (probably the second too, but I'm not sure) the spirits could only get you if you were in the dark. Once you reach light, they back off. No such rules here, they just seem to come whenever they want. Thought I'd point that out.  :P

So a lot of people die, and more people try to stop the curse ...that much all the movies had. What's unique here is the Kayako's sister showing up to perform a ceremony to actually get rid of her. As for what occurs there and my thoughts on it I shall leave in the spoilers.

(click to show/hide)

Between the three movies there is a fair amount of continuity and no one stands above the other, so I guess that's why it all seems like one big movie to me and why I gave them each the same rating.

Scare-O-Meter:

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 02, 2012, 08:17:46 PM »
One of my first thoughts watching this movie was that something in the rules of these ghosts changed ... before in the first movie (probably the second too, but I'm not sure) the spirits could only get you if you were in the dark. Once you reach light, they back off. No such rules here, they just seem to come whenever they want. Thought I'd point that out.  :P
Rules of a Trilogy:
The fist one makes the Rules.
The second one bends the Rule.
In the third one all bets are off.

;)

Alien Redrum

« Reply #228 on: July 02, 2012, 10:56:51 PM »
If you haven't, I highly recommend watching the original Japanese versions of these. At least watch the original, Ju-on. It's far superior than the remake (and I enjoyed the remake).

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 03, 2012, 12:37:22 AM »
If you haven't, I highly recommend watching the original Japanese versions of these. At least watch the original, Ju-on. It's far superior than the remake (and I enjoyed the remake).

:thumbup:
I have to agree with this and also say that the same goes for The Ring in that whilst the US remake was good the original Japanese version is much better.
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

« Reply #230 on: October 02, 2012, 10:38:50 PM »
Ah, it's been a while since I was here.  ;)

As for whether or not I watch the original Japanese, it depends on whether I feel like it and if my father has it...I'm using his DVDs after all!  :laugh: If I ever do watch them, though, I'll be sure to note the change in quality.