Author Topic: To "Blade Runner" or not to "Blade Runner" - Voilà la question !  (Read 2183 times)

Touti

I've never seen Blade Runner but I know it's a big hole in my culture.  Now that I have a HD-DVD Drive I'm wondering if I should get that.

http://www.inetvideo.ca/p-5845-blade-runner-five-disc-ultimate-collectors-edition-brief-case-bag-hd-dvd-boxset-dvd-new.aspx

On Amazon Canada the DVD versions is $80.00 CAD and the Blu-Ray $125.00 CAD.  The HD-DVD version at 35$ does seem like a no brainer doesn't it ?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 07:33:16 PM by Eric »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: To "Blade Runner" or not to "Blade Runner" - Voilà la question !
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 08:00:38 PM »
Never seen that one either, sorry.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:33:02 PM »
If you've never seen it, you should at least try it, but do you really need the 5-disc set? I'd say that is strictly for people who already know they love the film. It has multiple versions and masses of production stuff. If it turns out you don't like the film enough, it seems a huge amount of dosh to drop. Why not just go for the Final Cut Blu-Ray and upgrade if you really like it?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 04:37:31 PM »
This is a movie I really couldn't get into. It just wasn't for me. I found myself wanting to dose off every time I tried to watch it. I ended up sending my copy to Roger.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 11:53:46 PM »
I haven't seen it either.

Critter

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 05:03:57 AM »
I personally loved Blade Runner but I wouldn't get that set. Mainly that's becuase I don't like sets that look like that though, I never got into the whole brief case thing. When it comes to box sets for me I like a good old fashioned box or tin. Also the 5 discs is a bit much, I like the film but I wouldn't be interested in that many special features for it.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 09:43:51 AM »
Also the 5 discs is a bit much, I like the film but I wouldn't be interested in that many special features for it.
Same thing with me ;D
I've the director cut and it's enough for me, even if it's an ugly snapper. Not a bad film, but certainly not something that I would watch 500 different version of it (sound more like a cash in than anything else for me)....

venomsinner

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 10:41:01 AM »
I own the Blu-Ray 5 disc version, it was bought for me as a present last year, from Emma.

I love Blade Runner its one of my favourite films, but I can see why people would find it hard to watch, its dark and slow, the best things about 1 hour in.

To those who have not seen it, get the directors cut one disc version. and be prepared to concentrate really hard.

snowcat

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 10:47:50 AM »
Haha, Hi James! I didn't realise you had made it over here!  :devil: my recommendation worked!

Yeah, I agree, the single disc edition is probably the best way to go Eric!

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 03:36:21 PM »
Also the 5 discs is a bit much, I like the film but I wouldn't be interested in that many special features for it.
Same thing with me ;D
I've the director cut and it's enough for me, even if it's an ugly snapper. Not a bad film, but certainly not something that I would watch 500 different version of it (sound more like a cash in than anything else for me)....

The Final Cut is worth a look, Jimmy, if only because the restoration looks gorgeous.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 04:01:57 PM »
I watch my film on my computer Jon, I don't think that a restoration job will make a big difference for me. I haven't watch my dvd since a long time (certainly more than 3 years) and I don't remember that the print used was bad, but maybe I'm wrong. But like I say I don't watch my film on a high definition television set (not that I won't like it, but my finance doesn't permit it). Is this version had a lot difference with the MGM director cut (I mean the story)? 

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 04:17:31 PM »
I watch my film on my computer Jon, I don't think that a restoration job will make a big difference for me. I haven't watch my dvd since a long time (certainly more than 3 years) and I don't remember that the print used was bad, but maybe I'm wrong. But like I say I don't watch my film on a high definition television set (not that I won't like it, but my finance doesn't permit it). Is this version had a lot difference with the MGM director cut (I mean the story)? 

Not a huge amount, but the DC was a rushed hack job after the theatrical got a poor reaction. The Final Cut, he was able to have all the time he needed, so the difference is in small details.