Author Topic: Jimmy's 2009 Horror Marathon  (Read 71496 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy's 2009 Horror Marathon
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 01:18:23 AM »

Title : Frightworld (2007)

Overview
Frightworld, a horror themed amusement park that has been shut down for decades, is about to be re-opened. To celebrate, the new owner, his girlfriend and their friends throw a party on the park grounds. The party gets a little bit out of hand and blood gets shed.

My Impression
This one is surely an exhausting watching experience, so much that I had to take a couple of break from it to catch my breath... The movie throw everything in your face with an editing completely weird, a very unenlightened set, an audio hard to hear by moment because of the echo, gory effect coming out of nowhere in a flash and a lot of metal music top level. Those factors themselve don't make a bad film, but more something like a grueling experimental horror film...

The acting quality is variable, but Andrew Roth who play the park owner and Kamillia Kova (love her sexy british accent) are certainly one head above the rest of the cast.

Not good or bad, but certainly different...

Rating :

(click to show/hide)

P.S : Kathy; Frightworld is a real hunted house in Buffalo, so you can go there for some fun... lucky you ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 04:58:08 AM by Jimmy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 03:44:47 AM »

Title : Killer Story (2004)

Overview
Monty and Fortunato, two old-time writers, get locked away in an abandoned saloon by a mysterious stranger and are prodded into out-duelling each other with their storytelling abilities by a sexy woman, who may in fact be a ghost.

My Impression
Correct me if I'm wrong but an anthology is usually composed of 3 stories plus a wraparound and this isn't the case here. Certainly not that big of a reproach since I've appreciated it, in fact that looks like something that could be a failed pilot for a serie like "The Ray Bradbury Theater" (wich is not the case at all). Personally I like more the first story who had a better script, acting and vibes. Not that the second isn't good, but it was too predictable since the short Poe's story that had inspired it is well known. The wraparound had a good end and it's always nice to see 2 good actors like William Smith and Joe Estevez in a film like that. Of course the film isn't really frightening since it is based on three Edgar Allan Poe's short stories and, to be honest, it was maybe scary in the 19th century but certainly not anymore.

I think you will appreciate this one Pete ;)

Rating :

Thanks Jimmy... and see my review for Dead Teenagers!
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 05:06:02 AM »

Title : The Las Vegas Serial Killer (1986)

Overview
A killer is stalking the streets of Las Vegas, a merchant of whose resume in the field of human slaughter is vast and horrifying. On August 31, 1986 Jonathan Klick was released from the Nevada State Penitentiary on a technicality. He arrived in Las Vegas three days later and is responsible for what came to be known as "The Glitter Gulch Holocaust."

My Impression
Personally I like it, but since it's a Ray Dennis Steckler's movie most people will find it boring. This is the sequel of The Hollywood Strangler Meets the Skid Row Slasher my favorite Steckler's movie and the movie isn't that different (except that Carolyn Brandt isn't in this one, since her character was killed in the first part). Pierre Agostino continue his quest to strangle all the dirty woman of Las Vegas while, at the same time, 2 guys are on the pursuit of their dream of becoming the greatest purse snatchers of Vegas. If all this sound exciting listen really well, this isn't the case at all. So why I like that? Because it's Steckler... The film had random stock footage of a parade and of a rodeo, the naration is silly and unnecessary (like The Hollywood Strangler Meets the Skid Row Slasher this film was made to be listen without the narative), the murder aren't bloody at all and most of the girls are attractive.

I haven't found a single one of his film (even the adult one that are really weird) that I haven't like and this one will certainly not be the first one.

Rating :
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 08:10:33 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 08:03:38 AM »

Title : I Dream of Dracula (2001)

Overview
An erotic tale of vampire lust!

My Impression
The film start with a bad news at least for me  

The same guy who had made the awfull mess that is The Slasher that I've reviewed yesterday :weep:

That sure means that I was expecting definitely not something enjoyable and decent... Of course the movie was awfull, badly act and with those ugly girls full of tatoo and piercing. But at least this time the sound is audible (sure it would be better if the film wasn't so much overact) and the director of photography is better (even if he abuse of the zoom in the person talking only). One of actress (Michellina Shaffranski) act relatively well, at least she act natural, and she is cute in a normal everyday girl kind of way. The sad thing is that this film could have been good with a real script and better actors (even for low budget the ones in this film are awfully bad)...

I don't give up on this guy yet at least he had showned some sign of amelioration with his second film. By the way,
there are nothing erotic in this film unless you like not good looking tattooed pierced girls ::)

Rating :

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 09:55:46 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 09:17:31 PM »

Title : A Bothered Conscience (2006)

Overview
Twenty years after his father is murdered in a savage act of retribution, Lucas is left alone to preserve the twisted family legacy.

My Impression
Now color me surprise, but this movie is awesome :dance: Not just in a low budget awesome way, but in the greatest new horror movie I've seen in year way :thumbup:

For a first movie the director had made a top-notch movie... highly original with a well written script that make the viewer empathize with the "bad guys" (you will understand at the end). The principal character played by the father of the director is incredibly well cast (no problem to believing he is Keller McGavin), Stephen Martin who is cast as McGavin's son is a good choice also. Of course the other aren't that great, but this isn't a problem since they aren't important. This movie is the perfect exemple of what is a scary film for me : something that can happen for real.

This director is destined to go higher than the low budget film, remember the name Dennis Smithers Jr. you will certainly hear it again in a near future.

It really sad to see that every horror released theatrically in the recent years are bad remake when a film like this exist.   

Rating :

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 12:05:14 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 12:17:05 AM »

Title : Alucard (2003)

Overview
A modern telling of Bram Stoker's classic!

My Impression
My god this movie is endless...  It is not only long by its running time (2h30), but by the way it is construct. Let me explain, all the movie is based on the diary of the principal characters (I think that the original Bram Stoker's book was like that also) and everytime something a little bit interesting happen we switch to a new diary. This switching make a very confusing film (of course, I've to be honest by confessing that I've fallen asleep a couple of time). This is a really big negative, because the movie itself is well made and a good conversion of an old story in the modern time. The movie is just too long for a low budget... But the last 10 minutes are great!

Maybe you will like it Pete, since you're a biggest vampire movie fan than me. Don't let my review discourage you ;)  

Rating :

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 05:04:57 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 05:17:26 AM »

Title : Hell Hath No Fury (2005)

Overview
Hell Hath No Fury is a balls-out horror anthology that is a bloody and erotic mix of stories in the style of the horror-lit anthologies.

My Impression
Another good Canadian movie (I know I'm partial for our industry). This anthology is center around the revenge theme and for a rare occasion it's women revenge time... The acting in this one is real good, but this isn't a big surprise since the acting talent pool in Vancouver is one of the best in our country thanks to the multiple American TV shows and movies made there. At the beginning the film is confusing since it start with 2 real shorts segment of maybe 5 minutes, but they will became clearer later since they are connected to the others. Of course each of the story aren't at the same quality level, but Prey and Torched are awesome. In Prey a police officer get her revenge on her rapist in a very particular way without being involve directly in it. Torched is a very hard one and not a funny watching at all for a guy. This time it's a nurse who will get her revenge on her unknown rapist, this one is a festival of torture and error. Of course the general theme isn't an appealing one for everyone that's why a little funny time travelling segment is included (nothing complicated or gruesome).

I consider that this one is worthy of an individual purchase that's why I've added this film to my wishlist for listening the commentary and give more money to those guys. They really deserve it.  

Rating :

Sorry it wasn't the good trailer
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 09:24:30 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 08:59:43 AM »

Title : Eaten Alive (1980)

Overview
A girl risks her life and plunges into a jungle hell in search of her missing sister. Throughout her perilous journey, she must fend off hungry cannibal tribes and avoid being served up as a sacrificial lamb for a good old-fashioned suicide cult!

My Impression
One of the first Italian exploitation film that I've bought on dvd and it's always a pleasure to rewatch this one. Very good cannibal exploitation film, not as good as Cannibal Holocaust or Cannibal ferox but a top one. In fact this movie loose a lot of point when you realized that it recycle footage from Man from Deep River, Jungle Holocaust and Mountain of the Cannibal God (not that the footage is that obvious with the exception of the killing of the Me Me Lai character, but it's easy to spot if you have seen those movie previously). The story is a mix of two different subjects : Cannibals and isolated religious cult (an obvious reference to the Jonestown cult massacre of 1974). I think that this amalgam gives more depth to this movie compared to the other cannibal exploitation film (except for the sublime Cannibal Holocaust). The movie had a good cast like most of the Italian film with a mix of Europeans an Americans stars like Janet Agren, Ivan Rassimov, Mel Ferrer, Paola Senatore and, of course, Robert Kerman who give a much better performance in this one than in Cannibal Holocaust. You can even catch, if you know them of course, Gerald Grant (great in Radley Metzger's Score) and Jake Teague (his most known role for most of you is probably Mr. Biddle in Debbie Does Dallas).

Great Italian exploitation film, but of course this type of cinema isn't for everybody.    

Rating :
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:32:17 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 11:32:20 PM »

Title : Dark Light (1993)

Overview
A tale of intense vampire action!

My Impression
The problem with this one is the budget, more money could make it so much better. The basic idea is interesting :  the army had done a secret research to create a race of super soldiers, they had used a vampire as a guinea pig to combine is strength with the human strenght (the real army experiment on thing as insane as this in real life). The experience had succeed with the creation of a vampire race who can live in daylight. But when the human-vampire hybrid break out they have to retrieve him and keep it secret. That sound like a pretty good film on paper, but on the screen not so. Nothing really happen and the action is absent. Too bad that this idea was not developed better...

Rating :

P.S : I'm not sure if this movie is really Zombie Genocide, but I'm unable to find another film done by the Irish director Andrew Harrison. Maybe one of our British members can help me with this?   
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 02:46:30 AM by Jimmy »

richierich

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 11:56:40 PM »
Blimey Jimmy you are like Usain Bolt on this marathon  :stars:
15 horror films in 4 days  :o

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 12:17:11 AM »
Maybe it's because of the type of movie that I've decided to watch this year, but I've a lots of fun watching them... even the not so good

Oh I've forgot to add in my original message...
I've no life that help a little :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:19:01 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 02:50:37 AM »

Title : Anthropophagus (1980)

Overview
A group of tourists take a boat ride to a deserted island. Once there, they discover that most of the residents have disappeared and soon find themselves being stalked by a malevolent presence. They try to uncover the mystery but nothing could possibly prepare them for what they would eventually find.

My Impression
Obviously this one will never meet my high expectations before watching it and after more than one viewing this haven't change. It was on the UK video nasty list with some great film like The Beyond, Cannibal Ferox, Cannibal Holocaust, etc. (of course some stupid film like Don't Go Near the Park and Snuff were also on this list ::)). So I was expecting a movie more gruesome and shocking than this, but I've to say that one of the scene near the end is really shocking. Without those expectations, I would had appreciate this film more since it's a good variation of the close room theme (the room here being an isolated island) with the mysterious vanishing of all its population. Joe D'Amato for a rare time had created a good suspense in this film, we have time to know the characters and, in some degree, to get attach to them.

Without the false hope created by the British censor board my rating would have been  ;D, but since I feel cheated my rating will be lower...  

Rating :
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:33:20 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 06:42:02 AM »

Title : Torment (2007)

Overview
Suzi Lorraine (Chainsaw Sally, Satan's Schoolgirls) plays Laura Wiggington, a woman recently discharged from a psychiatric hospital. Her husband Ray (Tom Stedham) takes her to an isolated river cottage to recover. There she is stalked by a psychopathic clown named Dissecto (Lucien Eisenach -- Hellbound: Book of the Dead) who performs macabre "tricks" for his literally captive audiences. But does the clown really lurk nearby or only in the dark recess of Laura's troubled mind?

My Impression
Not too bad except for a very important fact : Clowns aren't frightenning unless you are a teenagers and the clown is John Wayne Gacy. So it was really hard to not laugh even when the clown torture the two Mormons Missionaries, more when we see him making ballons trick and others clown thing before finally killing them. But like I've said this is a good movie where you aren't sure if all of this happen for real or not (to be honest, I have no idea if it is or not). For the obvious budget limitation that the movie had the director had done a nice little suspense. The acting without being great is correct (if we forgive the fact that one of the Missionary looks more bored than frighten when he is tortured). The casting of Tom Stedham as the husband doesn't work for me, he just look too old to be married with Suzi Lorraine.

Rating :

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:06:21 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 09:30:23 AM »

Title : Master of Darkness Magic (2004)

Overview
A group travels into the woods to find some mysterious magic abounds.

My Impression
Wich word can I used to describe this film? grandiose, gorgeous, wonderful, awsome, thrilling, action filled, masterpiece, ....

Of course none of them ::)
This film is simply cheap, ridiculous and idiotic. Think of a bunch of idiot who had played "Dungeon & Dragons" way too many time and decided to play the game for real. But there is a catch : The game master isn't really good and had a hard time to came with some ideas to make the game interesting... So we have a thief, a mage (she knows only one magic that is missile), a priest (even more annoying than Richard Simmons) trying to reach the level 4, an overweight fighter who can't win a fight against a flying sword (don't get excited this is really ridiculous to watch), an old wizard who looks like Merlin (he can cast only one magic also, Fireball) and a Necromancer who is supposed to be the bad guy but isn't because he kill the villagers to build an army of lame zombie to fight against a dark knight who wants to open the gates of hell to bring the armageddon to the forest kingdom (No it isn't that awesome... but I try to make it sound like).

Bad acting, cheap effect, bad sound (it goes from one speaker to another, the sound works one speaker at the time so the other is full of parasite and distorsion), the actors look embarrassed to be in this, ....

Not at the level of The Sorority since I've laught almost all the film and, at least, one of the actress is a cute French Canadian girl...   

Rating:hysterical: (I can't rate something so ridiculous)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:05:08 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 10:09:16 PM »

Title : Trapped (1982)

Overview
An Innocent camping weekend turns into terror and murder for four young university students. Henry Chatwell (Henry Silva, OCEANS 11, SHARKEY'S MACHINE, CHAINED HEAT) stalks, tortures and kills his wife's lover, witnessed by the students. Unable to contact the sheriff, they return to their campfire, where they are taken captive.

Chatwell's verdict is that the students must die!

My Impression
One thing that I've learned in my years of movie watching is to not step in in the redneck bussiness if I don't want a lot of trouble, of course those four young students don't give a damn. The film is not exactly what I expected (a trashier version of Deliverance), but I've appreciated it anyway. Of course the student act like idiot (not in the sense of "American Pie" idiot, but in the sense of nobody would react like that). Henry Silva gives a terrific performance in the role of the redneck who lost all his self control after he catch his wife cheating on him. The poor guy he catch get the beating of his life for this. Strangely the film lost its momentum when the town citizens catch the students as the story turn into a cat and mouse game, but the final is sure grandiose...

Not the best film directed by William Fruet (the honor goes to Death Weekend who is not released yet on dvd), but another good Canadian film.

Rating :

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:56:55 AM by Jimmy »