Author Topic: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2009  (Read 43595 times)

Najemikon

Re: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2009
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 09:15:39 PM »
Excellent review of Dead Set, Pete! Did you see what I intended by posting clips of Davina? Ends up a bit different in this doesn't she? :laugh: I have to say my favourite was the blonde contestant with the catch-phrase, "don't like it" as she trots about squealing... :devil:

Have I mentioned Being Human before, Pete? It's a comedy-drama about a vampire and a werewolf sharing a house with a ghost. The emphasis though is on trying to make the three as believable as possible. It leans more toward drama and is frequently decent, with a reasonable amount of gore (absolutely nowhere near Dead Set though!). I haven't seen all of it, but enjoyed it.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 09:24:08 PM »
Thanks Jon. Yeah... was a lot of fun.

I have heard much about Being Human... and would love to check it out. Will have to see if I can find it online somewhere. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 02:06:39 AM »

Title: Dead Teenagers
Movie Count:  5
TV Ep. Count:  1
Other Count:  1
Time Started:  6:20pm

Plot:
On a dark autumn eve, a college student finds a mysterious book in his campus library. Within it's pages he finds four gruesome tales of ghosts, werewolves, vampires and the unknown.

My Thoughts:
This is another movie that was included in the Mortuary of Madness: 50 Movies boxset. So of course I am going into this one with no expectations at all. When I first bought this set... a friend of mine said to me that with the price it cost me... if I enjoy just one movie in the set... that the set will be worth the price of purchase. Well... it is worth it! This movie is an Anthology. It has 4 stories in the one movie. The wrap around story pretty much sucked. Basically non-existent as it was no more then a guy finding a hand-written book in the library and he was reading the stories that someone wrote in the notebook. The first story I didn't care for at all really. It was more confusing then anything. I still not sure what it was I watched to be honest. By this time I was thinking another looser of a movie. Then it went back to the guy reading the book in the library... he turns the page and you see the title and a drawing of a werewolf.  I like werewolves so I decided to continue to watch. Now this story... while it took a few minutes.. it just grabbed me. I found myself enjoying this movie... I thought cool! The third story is a ghost story. Now this one I really loved! I was actually glued to the TV off one of these movies!?!? What a pleasant surprise. The fourth and final story in this anthology is a vampire story. This one I didn't care as much for as I did stories numbers 2 & 3... but it is definitely quite a bit better then the first one.

The movie itself actually has a feel of a student movie. Definitely low budget... the acting is fair at best... and the effects are almost non-existent. But the stories... these stories are more then enjoyable... they were definitely well done. Well...except for the first one and the wrap around anyway. I am really pleasantly surprised to be able to give this movie such a high rating (Probably too high of a rating). Especially considering that the acting and the effects both need help. But for me at least... the writer(s) made this film. So much so that you really don't care about the downfalls of the movie.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 05:07:08 PM »

Title: Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
Movie Count:  6
Time Started:  9:45am

Plot:
The prequel story traces the origins of the centuries-old blood feud between the aristocratic vampires known as Death Dealers and their onetime slaves, the Lycans. In the Dark Ages, a young Lycan named Lucian (Michael Sheen) emerges as a powerful leader who rallies the werewolves to rise up against Viktor (Bill Nighy), the cruel vampire king who has enslaved them. Lucian is joined by his secret lover, Sonja (Rhona Mitra), in his battle against the Death Dealer army and his struggle for Lycan freedom.

My Thoughts:
This is one I was really looking forward to seeing for the first time. And I did enjoy it quite a bit. Though I think I let the hype get to me a little as I was expecting a little more from it. After 2 sequels I think it was the perfect time for a prequel... showing us how the war between the Vampires and the Lycans started. I would say if you liked the other movies in the Underworld series... you can't go wrong here.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

richierich

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 05:59:14 PM »
Excellent review of Dead Set, Pete! Did you see what I intended by posting clips of Davina? Ends up a bit different in this doesn't she? :laugh: I have to say my favourite was the blonde contestant with the catch-phrase, "don't like it" as she trots about squealing... :devil:

Have I mentioned Being Human before, Pete? It's a comedy-drama about a vampire and a werewolf sharing a house with a ghost. The emphasis though is on trying to make the three as believable as possible. It leans more toward drama and is frequently decent, with a reasonable amount of gore (absolutely nowhere near Dead Set though!). I haven't seen all of it, but enjoyed it.

I reviewed the pilot of Being Human.
I love Davina  :drooling:

richierich

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 06:00:45 PM »
Nice review on Underworld Pete, its on my list and I'm hoping moviepick selects it for me to watch also.
Was it scary?   :bag:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 06:35:56 PM »

Title: Creepy Clips: Girls Night Out
Movie Count:  7
Time Started:  11:40

Plot:
Creepy Clips : Girls Night Out is the first anthology of the erotic horror trilogy. It countains two tales of erotic terror.

My Thoughts:
Another one from the Mortuary of Madness 50 movie boxset. Naturally I am going into this one expecting much of nothing. This one didn't impress me much at all. It is another Anthology horror... though it seems hardly worth it to have one with only 2 stories... and no wraparound story. And the stories worried more about having half naked women dancing around then to create a decent story. Though the audio and video quality was better then I expected. There just wasn't enough to the stories themselves.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 06:37:03 PM »
Nice review on Underworld Pete, its on my list and I'm hoping moviepick selects it for me to watch also.
Was it scary?   :bag:

Nah... not at all Rich... it was more an action/war movie done with Vampires and Werewolves. But that is how all the Underworld movies are.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009, 11:37:34 PM »

Title: Masters of Horror: Family
TV Ep. Count:  2
Time Started:  4:30pm

Plot:
It's a beautiful day in suburbia where mild-mannered bachelor Harold Thompson (George Wendt of CHEERS) is happily at work in his basement building the perfect family. But when a young couple moves in nextdoor, Harold sets his sights on the sexy young wife (Meredith Monroe of DAWSON'S CREEK). In a sunshine world of picket fences and manicured lawns, is it ever possible to know what gruesome plans are percolating in the minds of your neighbors? Matt Keeslar (SCREAM 3, ROSE RED) co-stars in this grisly black comedy with a killer twist from Director John Landis (AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, ANIMAL HOUSE) and Writer Brent Hanley (FRAILTY).

My Thoughts:
This is an episode of the Anthology Showtime Series Masters of Horror. This is one of the episodes I really enjoyed. It has a nice amount of gore in it... but also at the same time it has a lighthearted sense about it that borders on comedy. I think everyone in this one did a good job... I liked all the characters. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't already.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 12:34:34 AM »

Title: Masters of Horror: The V Word
Movie Count:  7
TV Ep. Count:  3
Other Count:  1
Time Started:  5:30pm

Plot:
For two geeky best friends who’ve only experienced carnage via their video games, it’s the ultimate late night dare: Ever seen a real dead guy? But when the pair breaks into a creepy local mortuary, they unleash a ferocious ghoul (Michael Ironside of SCANNERS and STARSHIP TROOPERS ) who’s hungry to share a few depraved urges of his own. Even if these pals-for-life can resist a violent suburban blood-spree, is there any peer pressure more horrific than that of the undead? Jodelle Ferland of SILENT HILL co-stars in this grisly twist on teenage vampirism written by series creator Mick Garris.

My Thoughts:
This one has to be my favorite episode of Masters of Horror. But that is to be expected since I am a huge fan of Vampire movies. I liked the 2 main characters in this one. I could relate to them as they did remind me a bit of myself and a friend of mine years ago. The vampire myth gets played with a lot in different shows.. and this one is no different. This is one of several I have seen that the vampires do not have fangs. I hate to see no fangs on the vampires... but even that didn't take away from this episode too much. Being a Masters of Horror episode... there is a nice amount of gore in there as well. The V Word is definitely an episode I would highly recommend!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Note: Jimmy... there is already a review listed for this one... no need to add it again. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2009, 01:18:25 AM »

Title: Fangoria: Blood Drive: Mr. Eryams
TV Ep. Count:  3
Other Count:  2
Time Started:  7pm

DVD Plot:
Fangoria Magazine, the world's most popular horror publication for over 25 years, in association with Koch Vision, presents an original compilation of the winning entries from the 'Fangoria Blood Drive' short film competition. From psychotic slashers, to flesh eating zombies, to live finger pets, this DVD has something for every fanatic horror fan! Musician and "House of 1000 Corpses" director 'Rob Zombie' hosts. With over 1 hour of exclusive behind-the-scenes access into the world of legendary director 'Clive Barker' and special effects wizard 'Stan Winston'...more than enough to inspire any amateur filmmaker!

Mr. Eryams Plot:
A mysterious house, a haunted girl, and a strange man sent by the church to investigate the strange happenings…or is he?

My Thoughts:
This short is definitely a good one... it has some decent atmosphere. Though I liked the first short (The Hitch) I watched on the DVD better. I think everyone involved did a good job. I especially liked the actress, a girl by the name of Laura Hofrichter. She did a great job... and was cute as well.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2009, 03:06:50 PM »

Title: The Craft: Special Edition
Movie Count:  8
Time Started:  7am

Plot:
Sarah has always been different.  So as the newcomer at St. Benedict's Academy, she immediately falls in with the high school outsiders.  But these girls won't settle for being a group of powerless misfits.  They have discovered THE CRAFT, and they are going to use it.

Critics are spellbound, calling THE CRAFT "slick, shrewd, touching, funny and most appropriately, downright mean." - Arthur Salm, San Diego Union-Tribune

My Thoughts:
I know of a lot of people that never cared for this movie... but I always liked it. I have watched it several times since getting it on DVD. I think all 4 of the girls did a great job in this movie. The way this one ended I had always hoped to see a sequel. Definitely an underrated movie... if you haven't checked it out yet... I definitely recommend it.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Note: Jimmy... I already have a review for this movie up... no need to add this one.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2009, 05:11:08 PM »

Title: Campfire Tales
Movie Count:  9
Time Started:  9:30am

Plot:
Horror takes a detour deep into the woods in this terrifying cross between Scream and Tales From The Crypt, starring Christine Taylor (Dodgeball) and Ron Livingston (Office Space).

Returning home from a concert and driving recklessly, four teenagers crash their car on a deserted road. To ward off the cold, they build a fire and wait for help. But the hair-raising stories they tell around the fire put a deeper chill into the night. Each tale is more lurid, more horrifying, more shocking than anything they've heard before. Yet for these unlucky teens in the woods, the biggest shock is still to come...

My Thoughts:
I blind bought this one for last year's Halloween Marathon. I enjoyed it so much that I watched it a couple times since... and decided that I am ready to watch it again now. I am to the point of saying this is my favorite Anthology Horror that I have seen to date. Not only was all 3 stories suspenseful with great atmosphere... the wrap around story (where anthologies usually loose me) was a really good story in it's own right. The only thing that I could consider a downfall in this movie would have to be the fact that the first 2 stories are tellings of very well known urban legends... so you fairly quickly know what to expect. But that is ok... because these stories are so well done that you still enjoy every moment of it... even if you do know where it is going. This is one I will highly recommend... especially if you like anthology horror... give it a try!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Note: Jimmy... I already have a review for this movie up... no need to add this one.
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2009, 06:43:24 PM »

Title: The Craft: Special Edition

I too always loved that movie for some reason.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2009, 07:13:07 PM »

Title: April Fool's Day
Movie Count:  10
Time Started:  11:45am

Plot:
Each April Fool’s Day, fabulously wealthy young Desiree Cartier hosts the most killer coming-out parties at her to-die-for Southern mansion, and this social event is never complete without one of her patented pranks. But when this year’s joke turns deadly, Desiree, her brother Blaine, and five of their friends all become the targets of a twisted killer who begins hunting them down one by one in this chilling tale of seduction, betrayal and revenge.

My Thoughts:
This is the 2008 remake of the 1986 cult classic. After getting this remake very cheap ($3.00 @ Big Lots) I heard that this movie is pretty much universally hated. So needless to say I went into this one with very low expectations. Even with that... I was not very impressed with this movie. This movie don't even start to get interesting until about half way through the movie... and then it is far from great. Well even though this is no more then an average movie (maybe even less then average) I can't get upset about it since it was only $3... a basic price of a rental.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
Pete