Author Topic: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
« on: September 26, 2009, 07:04:45 AM »

I decided to go see this movie since I thought it looked cute.  It is based on a children’s book that I’ve never read. 

Flint Lockwood has been inventing things since he was a child.  Unfortunately, most of the things he invents don’t work like he intended.  Most people think he is wasting his time, though his mother did support him before her death.  Flint lives in a small town on an island in the Atlantic Ocean.  The town’s economy was based on sardines, and things have been tough since the plant closed up.  The mayor is trying to come up with a new way for the town to make money when Flint decides to test his new invention that is supposed to turn water into food.  Things go wrong again, though there is an unexpected side effect and it starts raining food.  Everyone is thrilled and the mayor looks to this to revive the town.  Sam Sparks is a weather reporter in town to cover the story and she and Flint become friends.  Things start to go very wrong with the raining food.

The plot for the movie is very simple, though there are attempts to add complications through the issues between Flint and his father.  Those things are just sort of touched on without being fully developed.  It would have worked better if more attention had been given to them.  There is also an attempt to add a bit of a moral that doesn’t work as well as it could have.  It seems like there was an attempt to put some heart in the story, but it just isn’t there like it is in Pixar movies.  The movie is still entertaining..it just isn’t as strong overall.  There is a decent amount of humor throughout the movie.  There are only one or two gross type of jokes, so people that are bothered by that don’t have to worry.

The animation is done well.  The people don’t look realistic at all, but that works for this movie and the way everything in it looks.  I did see the 3D version of the movie.  There aren’t a lot of things that look like they are going to smack you in the face, but the 3D does add a cool look to several scenes. 

The characters are interesting, though there isn’t a lot of development for most of them.  The voices do work fine for the characters, though Anna Faris does seem to be a bit over excited at times.

I enjoyed the movie overall, though I have seen better animated movies.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.